Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

RA hs

Customer Question

my ipad is stuck in restore mode, the only thing on screen is "plug in to itunes" screen and wont do anything else
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

It should be possible to use Recovery Mode, if not just even reset it.

Press and hold the Home button on the face of the iPad, and the Sleep/Wake button on the edge, and hold them both until the screen restarts.

If this does not happen please connect it by USB to the power adapter and try it again.

If it still fails please get back to me for the next steps.

Thank you,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have tried this, it does not work

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Does it not even restart the iPad screen?

Have you also tried the steps for 'Recovery Mode'?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it does restart the ipad and keeps going back to (plug into itunes) screen everytime i switch it on

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

I thought that might be what it was doing. Next plug it into your computer by USB and open iTunes.

Then reset it again using those two buttons, but when the symbol flashes off on screen let go of the Sleep/Wake button, but keep holding the Home button.

It may take a coupe of minutes, but don't let the Home button go until iTunes says it has detected an iPad in Recovery Mode.

Then continue, Restore it, and the device should function normally.

Please get back to me if there are any problems.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dave, i have done this and (same as before) it says "extracting files" on my itunes macbook screen, after 2mins it comes up on my mac screen "the ipad could not be restored, this device isn't eligable for the requested build"...

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

This is a mismatch between the iOS downloaded on the computer and what is installed already. As you are restoring in Recovery Mode, it seems like it cannot properly identify and download the correct iOS.

We should be able to resolve it with a bit of troubleshooting, but by far the easiest way of doing this quickly is to try another computer if you can.

Can you try iTunes on another computer? if not we can troubleshoot the software update in iTunes on this.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i tried to do it on my windows laptop but it could not even find the ipad updated to itunes 11.0

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

If you are trying another computer you must also use the Recovery Mode steps. That's where you plug it in, reset it, and let go Sleep/Wake but hold Home. Also give it a few minutes to recognise it.

If the same please get back to me.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

still no luck, is there anyway to do it without itunes or plugin?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

There are other tools that can change the firmware and baseband, such as the ones for 'jailbreaking' it. Using one of those could have caused this in the first place. Did you try to install Cydia, Redsnow or any third party firmware?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am not that much of an expert, i had alot of apps downloaded from the app store but i have bought it new 9 months ago and about 3 months ago when osi 6 came out my friends downloaded it and lost youtube and other complaints so i decided not to upgrade it but more and more recently i am seeing games and apps that need osi6 to run on, so i thought it best to update it and when i did after a few mins it went to this reset screen and i am stuck here since

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Fixing it all pins on getting the device into Recovery Mode.

Have you seen iTunes say it has detected a device in 'Recovery Mode'?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, it recognizes it right away in recovery mode and i have clicked "restore" countless times. and a few different ways as suggested on the net

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

I need to ask as I read back through all of this and didn't see confirmation that it did say it was detected in Recovery Mode, sorry about that.

The device must have had a different firmware installed for Recovery Mode to not work on two different machines. The error message also supports this.

As I am not familiar with the grey area of jail breaking devices i will opt-out now, and another expert should take the question on.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for all your help David, you have been great

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

Thank you for your question and your time today.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I remote into your computer and help you resolve the problem? I will send a remote link within minutes after your response, so please keep refreshing the page.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jason, you can but I have left my ipad at work and i wont be there for another 7 hours...

Robert

Thank you.

Please, let me know when you are ready to continue.

Thank you.