David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

I want to sync photos from my p.c. to my iPad. I followed

I want to sync photos from my p.c. to my iPad. I followed instructions from apple support on the web. Instead of ending up with copied photos on my iPad I have ended up with an iPod photo cache on my computer. when I open this all it shows is 50 imported folders which I cannot open. Wha am I doiong wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

iPod Photo Cache is a folder from another device I suspect. To sync photos to your iPad you must use iTunes to choose which source they come from.

When you connect the iPad, and open iTunes, click the iPad and then the Photos tab.

What is ticked, and what is selected as the source of the photos to sync?

Thanks in advance,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is a drop down menu to tick.

I chose photoshop elements

The second choice was

all photos, and

folder.

The folder I chose was the folder containing the photos I wanted.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

If you don't want some of those photos on the iPad any more, remove them from that folder. Then Sync the iPad in iTunes.

If you have Photoshop Elements you can organise the folders into albums as you would like.

Photos from your camera roll are a different case. They are photos taken with the device. Transferring them to your computer is a different process. If you would like help with it please feel free to let me know.

Let me know if there is any problem at all with removing photos you do not want on your iPad.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not want to remove pictures from my i.pad. I want to transfer them from my computer to my i.Pad. The photos were originally scanned from old photos onto my computer.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The photos will be synced if they are in the right format, and you select the folder in iTunes.

Select the folder in the iPad sync options in iTunes on your computer screen, and click Apply, and they will be synced to your iPad.

Tap on Photos on your iPad, and if you can't see them tap Albums in the top left.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I has almost worked. I am able to select the folder I want to copy but it insists on only copying six photos instead of fifty. I cannot change the number of photos. It is late now. Could I continut this to-morrow, please?

Yours sincerely, Vera.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi Vera,

Absolutely you can continue this tomorrow, just bookmark this page or sign in tomorrow.

This is happening I expect because the format of the scans are not in a compatible format.

It is something that can be changed. For now I will put the rest of the steps on hold until you contact me tomorrow.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Vera.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, David,

I am ready to continue. Thank you for your patience. The files that have been downloaded correctly are in tiff format or jpg. The others, with which I am having problems are in pdf. What can I do?

Best wishes, Vera.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi Vera,

That's the crucial info needed, thank you for researching that for me.

You will want to change the format to Jpeg.

Double clicking one of the PDF files should open Preview. When you can see the document in Preview, click the File menu, and click Export.

Then you can choose Jpeg, and the quality setting, and the destination for the Jpeg.

Once you have replaced all the PDFs with Jpegs, open iTunes and sync again. The pictures should be now on your iPad.

Please let me know if it gives any problems.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Do;uble clicking does not bring up preview. It just shows a menu asking whether you want to open with Adobe or itunes. Cut, copy ect. I cannot get to 'export' Vera.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

PDFs should by default open in Preview which is built into Mac OS X. If it doesn't then you can set all PDFs to open in Preview again.

Click Finder, and open the folder containing the PDFs. Click once on a PDF, then click the File menu at the top, and Get Info.

In the Get Info window that appears there is a section titled "Open With:"

Click to reveal that sub section.

Click the box in Opens With: and change it to Preview.

Then click the Change All button in the info window.

Now double clicking should open it in Preview, and you should be able to export.

Sorry for the confusion, that was one of those unforeseen things.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I'm not using a mac. I'm using a p.c.. Does this make a difference to the instructions which I am trying to follow?

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes, slightly, sorry about that.

You can change file association in Windows too, it's just not as straightforward.

Instead, right click the PDF, and there should be an option to 'Open With' and choose Adobe Reader.

Now with Adobe Reader you can Export to Jpeg. It should be in the File menu when you click Save As.

You can change the format and Adobe will do the conversion when you save it.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I click 'save as'. it comes up as 'text accessible (*.txt)

or 'all files (*.*)

Which should I use? Vera.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Use All Files, and type in test1.jpg

Then click save.

It should convert to Jpeg, if not then it is a particular version of Adobe Reader.

In the case it doesn't convert please click the Help menu in Adobe Reader, or all the menus, and try to find the version number.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The version number is 7.1.0.

Vera.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Hi Vera,

Taking everything into account the easiest way to convert the files is to use the online service Zamzar. It is a free service and I have used it for years. Everything like this will eventually be don on the Internet.

The site is Zamzar.com

There is a 4 step wizard so it guides you through the entire process.

It is far easier to do it this way, than me trying to guide you through a different version of Adobe.

Let me know if it gives any problems.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bless you, David,

I think we've worn each other out. I've had a very busy day and I'll try your suggestion to-morrow. I'm grateful for your help and will get back to you. I don't know where you are, but if it is night time. Sleep well.

With best wishes, Vera.

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Vera :)

I'm in Ireland, it's getting late here I suppose.

We are not far off getting this fixed, chat to you when you are ready.

Best regard,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified