Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My iMac 10.7.5 Intel Processor wont boot past the white screen.

Customer Question

My iMac 10.7.5 Intel Processor won't boot past the white screen. It all began when iPhoto asked me to repair my photo library, vertical lines appeared and then the computer froze. I have tried to recover my HD from the Recovery System via Time Machine external drive, but that did not work. I have verified Macintosh HD with Disk Utility, and it says that everything appears OK. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello Allen, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Those vertical lines concern me.
Can you tell me more about them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure, they look like strips. I'm presently looking at them in Safe Mode

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure, they look like strips. I'm presently looking at them in Safe Mode. What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Dan, Greetings.

I don't know if my first response went through. What would you like to know about the vertical lines? I can only see them in Safe Mode. I wonder if that is something just from being in Safe Mode?

Also, I am wanted to let you know that I'm depending on you. We live in Peru, South America and we do not have many local technical options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Dan, you there?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
In Peru, SA and probably a long way from an Apple store.

Only in safe mode, interesting.
I suggest pressing and holding the Command + R to boot to the recovery disk. Then run Disk Utility to repair the drive even though you say it checks out.
graphic
graphic

Usually it takes some time for it to boot this way if that is not already in place, it will do this over the internet from Apple.

Once you do that then I suggest reinstalling OS X using this recovery disk that you are now booted into. DO NOT DO AN ERASE and install if possible. You have backup so it may be ok if you need to.
Please let me know how the repair goes.
I have to post this as an answer but it may not be the filial answer. I am here until we fix this or you give up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it took some time to get into Disk Utility. Should I chose to repair the top disk (2 TB Hitachi HDS72202...) or Macintosh HD?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
They are both referring to the same drive, just one level down.
I would select the top (not indented) as it is the root.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it is finished and reads: "The partition map appears to be OK."

You would rather me reinstall Mac OS X than restore from my Time Machine Backup?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
I say that because the reinstall will only overwrite the OS, it will not harm any of your data. The reason is, do as little invasion as necessary.
Should that fail then erase and install, then restore from the backup.
OS X installs only the OS as default unless you tell it different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to connect my iMac to the internet in Mac OS X Utilities. Is there any reason why it is SO SLOW? It has taken me over five minutes and I still cannot enter my WEP internet password XXXXX order to reinstall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is so pathetically slow, I wonder if I need to reboot into Recovery System and try to reconnect to the internet?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is not promising. I would suggest shutting down and starting in recovery mode again, there will be a popup menu to select your network, do that before going on, it will be faster.

However, be advised that it could fail. Just so you know, this could be logic board failure in progress.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've rebooted to recovery twice, and the second time I successfully logged into the internet. The reinstallation of Mac Lion is very, VERY slow though. Should I continue this path?

FYI... I've upgraded to 10.7.5 via the internet. I do not have the install DVD. The latest DVD I have Leopard.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here's an update... the reinstall process has asked me which disk I would like to install Mac OS X Lion. My Recovery HD is locked. My external hard drive is used for Time Machine Backups. What should I do?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It does not recognize the internal drive? No Mac HD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there is a Mac HD. But this process is terribly slow. I guess I should continue this path, right?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is the one you want and yes, this is the path. Start it and go watch the SB. Just check on it from time to time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is so slow, I'm afraid I cannot continue any longer. It is almost frozen. I'm stuck at the App Store sign in prompt.

Do you know why it might be so slow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Dan, I'm about to give up this route. I can't sign into the App Store to reinstall OS X Lion.

Should I try to reboot and try this process again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If we don't solve this issue tonight, will I be able to continue tomorrow? The Supper Bowl is on and my computer is way too slow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just curious, but have I lost you to the Supper Bowl?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Latest update....

I finally got the Lion reinstall to begin to download. It says that I now lack 243 hours and 45 minutes, which is a little over 10 days. Hmmm....

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Much depends on your internet speed. DSL will take what seems like forever, dialup forget about it, high speed broad band will show a big number to start but rapidly shrink.

Yes, you did lose me to the super bowl (Go Ravens). That was one of the best Super Bowls ever.
I do suggest waiting for it and do all you can to keep it uninterrupted.

Let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, it finally downloaded. And so far, so good. It rebooted without pausing on the white screen. The vertical lines are gone. Let me check on a few more things before we finish....

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
That is good news Allen. I use a utility called Disk Warrior to keep things running smooth along with this widget.

DiskWarrior 4 This is about $100 and worth every penny.

Maintenance Widget This is free but can be had only here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh no! It looks like my iMac has crashed again. Everything was going well for a few days, then it looked up again along with the vertical lines. I did a hard reboot and it was stuck again at the white screen just after the chime, along with the vertical lines.

Why should I do now?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Your iMac has a small door on the bottom held in place by two screws. Inside that is where the RAM is. Shut the iMac off, unplug it and turn it so you can see those screws.
They are captive so do not try removing them, just unscrew until the plate is loose.
Take the RAM out and reseat it back in place. It may not help but it will eliminate this as the problem.
iMac Intel - iFixit pick your model out but thins operation is pretty much the same on all.

If that does not do it then it is time for hardware tests, you do not have the tools to run those.
This will require a trip to an Apple store or if that is not possible and it is still covered call Apple and they will send a 'happy box' with shipping paid both ways.
1.800.275.2273

I think you have a hardware issue that software will not fix.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I removed the ram and reseated them. Put everything back together then plugged in the power cord. Turned on the power and the it is stalled on the same white screen.

So it might be hardware issues? If I sent the computer back to the States with a friend, can the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple Store fix the computer?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
They will have the tools to find out exactly what the problem is, then they can fix it.
I do not know how long you have had the iMac or if you bought Applecare (I do on all my Macs, cheap insurance).
I am inclined to say it is the logic board causing the problem. However, that is based on our discourse and not hands on testing.

I also do not know where you are so I cannot point you to the closest, this may help with that.

I have a son named Allen, going to collage for Precision Machining and Manufacturing.
Nice name, Allen.
Hope this works out for you.