The Mac Daddy
The Mac Daddy, Mac Genius
Experience:  Worked for 5 years as a Mac Genius in one of Apple's most prestigious flagship stores.
49981040

Hi SalemMac,ref your old post on opening a sparsebundle on

Customer Question

Hi SalemMac,ref your old post on opening a sparsebundle on a time capsule. The issue is that I had an iMac which was backed up on a time capsule by time machine. When I access this on my present MacBook Air, I find the sparsebundle, but when I double click it nothing happens. I have read various posts, and tried a lot. Once, it mounted something called fktimecapsule (which I think is the name I had for the time capsule at the time), but then an errormessage. Can u help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your Mac, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Lindie
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No problem, please keep looking.
Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  The Mac Daddy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I would be happy to help!

I wanted a little more information before we proceed with an answer.

-What operating system are you suing with your MBAir and what were you using with your iMac? (If you don't know you can click on the Apple logo top left hand corner and click on ABOUT THIS MAC).
-How are you accessing your time capsule from your MacBook Air? Are you going through WiFi or through an ethernet connection (using a MBAir USB to Ethernet Adapter).
-How valuable is the information on the Time Capsule and why do you need it? I ask because depending on your answer if the iMac is still operational it may be easier to transfer the information directly from that.
-To your knowledge did you have an encrypted backup setup with your iMac?
-To your knowledge did you have FileVault setup on your old iMac?

Let me know and we can attempt to sort this out!

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for taking the challenge, and for good questions.
- the iMac operatrd on osx tiger I believe. It crashed several years ago now, but I don't think it was upgraded from tiger. The MBAir is up to date with mountain lion.
- I can acces the TC both ways, but typically use ethernet for this to make sure speed is not too limiting a factor
- since the iMac is gone, it is particularly the pictures I am eager to get to again. E.g. valuable pictures (for us) from the familiy's backpacker trip to SE Asia in 2006.
- I do not beleive I had an encrypted setup. To put it this way, I am not very sophisticated with computers, so I tend to follow the standard guidance, whatever that led to at the time?
- by the same token , no. To be honest I don't know what FileVault is.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to be working with you.

Regards from Oslo.
Frederik
Hi Frederik,

After this question I just want to let you know I may be off-line for a little bit (the time difference between Norway and East Coast USA!) so don't panic I am not ignoring you!

Would it be possible that you tell me the exact error message that you get when you attempt to open the sparse bundle?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can't find my reply from yesterday - sent from my mobile, so re-answering just to be sure:

What usually happens is that I double-click on the sparse bundle,and it looks like it is going to open, but then nothing happens. I am able to open sparsebundles from other macs which use the same TC, and which are also in the "shared" folder.

I once got up the fktimecapsule, and some errormessage, but cannot remember what it said I am afraid. I was trying various approaches suggested in different user-pages, but was tired, and tried many different things, so I am not sure what exactly happened. The message was something in the direction of "illegal command" or "no access"or similar.

We probably need to start retrying various approaches in a more controlled manner?

I'll be online most of my pm, which is probably your am.

Frederik

Hi Frederik,

-So is there any way you can copy (drag and drop) the sparse bundle to your new hard drive? And if so please try opening it from there...
-And the other sparse bundles from other backups that you can open are you able to open them on your current mac OR from each computer the relevant sparse bundle belongs to?

It would really help if you could give me the exact error message you get when you attempt to open the disk image, but otherwise it sounds like it may have become corrupt or (possibly) is encrypted...

Let me know,

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is almost embarassing, but believe it or not - now it's working! To try to recreate the error message, I sat down and rebooted all systems, set up an ethernet cable and had the patience to try to open only the iMacs sparse bundle. Went off to dinner, and voila- came back and there the backups were!

So,sorry to cheat you of the good feeling of helping, but the process was helpfull in any case!

Have a great evening!