David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I am having problems trying to open Disk First Aid. I insert

I am having problems trying to open Disk First Aid. I insert the CD, restart holding down the "C" key, select Open Disk Utility, but nothing happens after it is opened. It will not accept any commands, including eject CD. I must disconnect power, restart, in order to get CD out. I hope you can tell me what is going on and how to resolve this issue.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

Does your Mac start normally, and if so can you open Disk Utility there?

What type of Mac is it exactly, and what OS is on it at the moment? Also what does it say on the discs you are inserting?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It starts up normally. Disk Utility will open. Power Mac G3, OSX 10.4.11.

Start Up Disk.

Hi Ronald,

The issue is suggesting that the discs are not the correct discs for this Mac.

If you have upgraded to Tiger, you shouldn't use Disk Utility from an earlier version.

If you have the install disc for Tiger, use it instead.

Alternatively you can start in Single-User mode and use fsck, which is the same function as Disk Utility just the command line version.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if there is a new issue with the Tiger disc.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I will try the Tiger CD, however if this doesn't work, what can I do?

You can bookmark this page, and you can still access this question. You can ask me any number of follow up questions you need to. It is very unlikely that it doesn't work with the Tiger discs, but if it does I expect it will not be the same issue. If something does go wrong with the Tiger discs too, then we can troubleshoot it at that stage. If you still cannot repair the disc please don't hesitate to get back to me for help with the steps in Single-User mode that do the same thing.

There is information on it here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Sincerely,
David.