David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Hi, trying to set up a second user account for my Apple Mac.

Hi, trying to set up a second user account for my Apple Mac. Need help with how when done to get the existing Itunes to work on it plus other issues such as there being no Safari in applications.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

In Mac OS X the Public folder is for a machine on a network to access. it is the Shared folder under /Users/ that is set with special permissions that allow any account to access it.

You should move the iTunes folder to /Users/Shared/

Also, Safari should be in the Applications folder to work, so are you sure you are checking in /Applications/ and not in ~/Applications/ ?

Thanks very much in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reply. Moved ITunes to shared but this doesn't appear as a folder under the new user. Safari appears as a question mark in the dock. Any ideas?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

In the new user account, open a new Finder window. Go to Macintosh HD and open Users. You will see Shared, and when you open Shared you see the folder you put in there in the other account.

As for Safari, drag the ? out of the Dock and release it, so as to remove it from the Dock. Then with Finder open Macintosh HD - Applications. Drag the icon of Safari to the Dock and hover there until the other icons make way for it. Then release it and it will be back in the Dock.

If any of this is incorrect please clarify for me.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes ITunes library in shared in folder how do I then get into ITunes with this user account as there is no iTunes icon either in dock nor in Macintosh HD applications. Afraid likewise Safari not there after doing what you suggested
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I think you may have the wrong folder. Close all open windows and click the Finder icon on the Dock.

Then click the Go menu at the top of the screen. In that menu select Applications.

Is that folder empty?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not empty lots of applications just not the 2 I want ie iTunes and safari
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

When you created the account, did you make it an administrator, or a managed account?

Did you move the applications in the original account?

In the original account, right click the icon of Safari in the Dock, and click Options > Show in Finder. Where does it appear to be?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, set up as managed account (not allowed to administer if that is what you mean), not touched applications in original account (wouldn't have known how). Appears to be in places/desktop.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Safari is in the wrong place in the original account, and I suspect iTunes is too.

Open a Finder window and Applications, then drag and drop Safari and iTunes from the Desktop into the Applications window.

When you go back to the other account, the Safari and iTunes applications will be back where they should be.

Then you can add them to the Dock, and continue to the step of adding the iTunes content.

Let me know if it gives any trouble.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks getting there! Can I safely open ITunes under new user, it's asking me to accept all the conditions all over again, will in open in the library on the administrator's (now in shared) account?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes do create a new library, then the trick is to add the music to the library from the Shared folder, but not also copy it into the new account. That would be duplicating the info and defeat the purpose of using the Shared folder.

When you have created the library and iTunes opens with no contents, click the iTunes menu and click Preferences.

Click the Advanced tab, and deselect 'Copy to iTunes Folder when Adding To Library' checkbox. Then close Preferences.

Click Finder, and open the Shared folder. Drag and drop the folder that contains your iTunes content into iTunes, and iTunes will update with all of the information. How long it takes depends on the size of the library, but as it is not copying too, it shouldn't be long.

When it is done, play a track t overify it is all working as it should be.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done as far as deselecting copy to iTunes folder but now not sure which file to drag and drop, there is an option in the library to "find MP3 and AAC files in my home folder" would that work?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

That will not find what is in Shared, but if you open Shared, and drag and drop the iTunes folder into iTunes, it will catalog all of the music and update.

Then test, and test in the original account too.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, apologies being a bit thick but do I drop it in the icon in the dock?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No worries, it's actually programmed to work either way. Onto the Dock icon, or into the iTunes window.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great it's downloading and started playing the first track straight away so worked. I take it an iPod if plugged in when logged into this user account will now sync to this library?
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes everything will function normally as the location of the library is not important to how iTunes functions, just that there is access to it.

Let me know if you have any questions or any problems with it, I will be glad to help :)

Best regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help on this, amazing how much utter nonsense is posted on the net when you try to solve a problem like this yourself, definitely an excellent service!