David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

I have windows vista, when trying to access the i-tunes, the

I have windows vista, when trying to access the i-tunes, the window freezes while accessing-- the caption reads accessing i tunes store. When I plug in my i phone the same thing happens and I get the message sync server has stopped working and MD crash report stopped working. I can start i tunes in safe mode, but my phone will not sync in safe mode. This started a few weeks ago after updating to latest versions for i phone and i tunes.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

This looks like a network issue, and gives the symptoms of a network issue.

What way does your computer connect, is it wired or wireless?

Had anything recently changed about your Internet connection?

Have you checked security settings, and is there any firewall software? Have you installed any new software since it began happening?

Thanks in advance,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I use wireless connection to the internet.

Nothing comes to mind of changes to the internet connection.

I use Norton 360 and Windows Defender antivirus protection---not sure if this is firewall protection.

I am sure I have updated software,etc whenever the computer prompts me to do so.

The best thing to start with is always the easiest and most obvious. Instead of wireless, can you connect your computer by ethernet cable to your network?

Also, try turning off the security software, restart and verify it is disabled, and try the iTunes Store again.

Also if it fails again can I have the exact error and any error code if there is one.

Thanks in advance,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can only use wireless but I will try the other solution and let you know.

That's really OK, and these are just the first steps. Please get back to me with any new info, and we can continue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, I turned off firewalls and restarted, opened i tunes and same thing...froze while opening/ message above opening bar read accessing i tunes store. I did not receive an error message, just freezes. So, I ended task using task manager and plugged in my iphone to pc and reopened i tunes again---also received same windows box message, sync server has stopped working---no error codes given:

[Window Title]
Microsoft Windows

[Main Instruction]

SyncServer has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

[Close program]

also received this windows box:

This is most likely to the the Apple Sync software that is installed when iTunes is installed. This doesn't get removed when uninstalling iTunes.

Next please open Add/Remove Programs again. The names of all the components to remove are:
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

You might not see all those, but remove any you do see.

Then you will need to confirm that they have been removed properly, as the Windows uninstaller often leaves folders behind. I will not list what folders to remove, as there is an Apple article that gives step by step instructions depending on how much detail you need. Please check this article for the detailed steps:

This will take a while, and if there are any questions on any step please let me know and I will explain them.

When all Apple Software has been fully removed, restart your PC, and get back to me.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if there are any problems.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have removed everything as instructed, but was wondering about two other apple programs I saw that were not listed to remove:

1. i Cloud

2 Mobile Me Control Panel

Do I need to remove these as well?

That's great. Those can be removed too even though there is less chance of it being the cause, and they are reinstalled with iTunes so you won't lose access to them.

Once all have been removed and you have also checked the folders mentioned in the article, then restart.

The next step is to download a fresh copy of the iTunes installer from Apple.

Once installed check your connection to the iTunes store. If it fails please don't be disheartened, as you have done a lot of troubleshooting to rule out the iTunes software, so it is still progress that we can use for the next step if needs be.

Let me know if you encounter any issues you need to ask me about.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was about 4 minutes into installing i tunes on my pc when I received a blue crash dump screen and it shut down, I copied this message when it came back up:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c2
BCP1: 00000007
BCP3: 00000040
BCP4: C8046008
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Should I just retry it ?

Yes please do try it again. This error could be an anomaly or it could indicate an underlying problem with the Windows install or hardware of the computer. For now try reinstalling it, but if it persists then hopefully it can be repaired with repairing Windows.

Let me know if it gives the same problem next time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, that worked!! I restarted it a few times to make sure it would continue to work. Once I got a window message that the sync server could not be accessed but when I closed it, it continued to sync my i phone. Thank you!!!

That's fantastic, and thanks for your patience.

Please take a moment to rate my answer, but remember you are free to ask any follow up questions you may have in future.

Best regards,