Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My cursor freezes on my MacBook (not pro). I was following

Customer Question

My cursor freezes on my MacBook (not pro). I was following your instructions from last guy. I wasn't have the same problem so I was wondering what the next step is after shift button when spinning wheel is turning. Thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
System Verson under Mac OS X?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac OS X version 10.6.8

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test. So please don't Rate to Finish just reply to Expert when done.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that earlier today: I did verify permissions, repair permissions and verify disk it then had green type at the end that said it was o.k That's the same thing you're requesting I do, correct?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes... when does the cursor freeze, anytime or with certain programs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, that's frustrating because it happens all the time multiple times a day. I'm not on my computer all that often, mostly for school. I could be on email, online, or school, writing on Word....unpredictable, although, sometimes it just completely freezes with no warning other times it happens slowly where I feel it slowing and I'll sometimes see a green light on the number lock F6 start glowing and then when it finally freezes it stays green. So bizarre...

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to Apple Logo to Software Update then open Word and go to Help / Check for Updates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It said it was all up to date

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go here and download Maintenance for your system version, install it, run it and follow directions then check all boxes and Execute. Restart.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadmaintenance.php
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, then do I go back to your site?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Bookmark this page and come back here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I downloaded it and ran it. I guess I won't know if it works right away. I guess I'll have to wait and see.Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I am guessing it was a font problem so yes let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well it didn't work and now my computer is even slower, what else can I do?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you reinstall your system:

Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install choosing the option to Archive and Install if you don't have that option just install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how long is this going to take? I just lost all of my post to my school. This is very aggravating.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I didn't think it was necessary how long will it take?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It takes as long as it takes I can’t judge that . Have you EVER done this maintenance before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I've done maintenance before but it seems that different ones take different amount of time, I was just checking. Also, yes, verify disk was in green type

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please do it again and the reinstall as I suggested. Run Software Update after restart.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Originally, i posted more information it appears it was never sent, could be due to this crappy computer. In that post I stated also, that this is a used Macbook and when I received it, it never came with a disk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will buy it, also, what happened to Word, it disappeared after I installed that program? Should I be aware of anything else when purchasing this maintenance?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It is free program... did you run it or just install it. There is no way that it erased Word. Go to Applications folder and look for Microsoft Office (year) folder. Do you see the Word app?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found Word but it still freezes nothing has helped I most likely need to get a new computer

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you install a new system or not.