David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I am unable to reset my Apple Id password XXXXX i have forgotten

Customer Question

I am unable to reset my Apple Id password XXXXX i have forgotten it. I have been unable to downlod any Apps on mi Iphone4 since last Auust. I have trien innumerable times on line to no avail. I have been to the Apple store, where after an hour of the tech not being able to figure it out he folowed someones advice to do it through ITunes. I spoke to their support staff from the Apple store and wa told I was being sent an email with a link that would solve the problem. The e-mail took 2 days to get to me and ans the link was already espired!!!mAgain I was unable to solve this problem, which imits my uuse f my phone tremendously.
PLEAE HELP ME TO RESET THE PASSWORD XXXXX IF THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE WE NEED TO ERASE THE ORIINAL AND STAART FROM SCRATCH. i HAB BEEN TOLD THAT YOU CAN DO THAT WITHOUT ANY DIFFICULTY! IF THA IS SO, WHY AM I GETTIN THIS RUNAROUND?????
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

If you want to start from scratch you can, but you will lose access to your purchased and downloaded apps too.

You will need to download and pay for any apps that are lost by starting a new Apple ID.

Do you want to do this?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YES, IT DOESN'T SEEM THAT I CAN FIX THIS ANY OTHER WAY! aT THIS TIME I ONLY HAVE 3 APPS ANYWAY

WILL I LOOSE ANYTHING ELSE LIKE MY CONTACTS, PHOTOS ETC?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

No, you wont lose those as long as you have them synced with your computer. This you should do first. Connect your iPhone and sync it in iTunes.

Let me know when that is done and I can advise you on resetting it.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

DAVID, ARE YOU STILL THERE?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I needed to wait until you had done the sync of your data and I wasn't sure that was what you meant by OK. Sorry about that.

If you have, then let's proceed.

Disconnect your iPhone and power it off. Hold the off button until the red slider appears and slide it across.

Let me know when this is done, sorry for the delay.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WAIT A MINUTE. THE SYNC ISN'T QUITE DONE YET. i HAD TO DOWNLOAD ItUNES FIRST. IT'S ALNMOST DONE

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

No problem. then let me know if you have the iPhone switched off. Disconnect it before switching it off.

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok ready

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Now when it is off, connect the iPhone back to the computer with the cable, while holding the Home button.

After a few seconds it will ask if you want to restore an iPhone in Recovery Mode.

Agree with the choice and proceed.

If you don't see a message about Recovery Mode, then try it again.

Turn off iPhone and disconnect it, then hold the Home button and reconnect it, and only let go the Home button when you see the message about Recovery Mode.

When you are asked about Apple ID, click the choice to create a new Apple ID.

Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Yours sincerely,
David.
Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.
HI,

How is that coming along? Did you have any trouble getting back to this question, or with any of the steps?

Thanks,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ilostour cocnnection and stoppedfr a whie. I've tried twice now and get a picture on the phone screen implying that ITunes is not connected then on the computer screen i am asked to restart the expired icloud seession and the ask me for the apple id and password!! It's like going around in circ

les!!!

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

First disconnect the device from the computer. Then power it off.

Next click on iTunes Store in iTunes, and click Sign Out.

Let me know if you can sign out or if there is a problem signing out.

Then create a new Apple ID. Go here to do that: appleid.apple.com and click on Create Apple ID.

Now try signing into the iTunes Store in iTunes, with the new Apple ID info.

All the time the device should be off, we should get a new APple ID working first.

Please get back to me when that is done, or if there are any problems with it.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i CAN'T SIN OUT............I CAN'T SIN IN BCAUE DON'T HAVE A PASSWORD AND THERE IS NO SIN OUT BUTOON OH, I'M SO SORRY DAVID, THIS IS RIDICULOUS

WHAT CAN I DO NOW?

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

It's OK.

Click the Store menu at the top in iTunes and click 'Sign Out'.

Then go create a new Apple ID.

Sign in when you have a new ID.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not surprisingly, I cannot enter the iTunes Store without the Apple ID password because my Icloud session has expired and it will not eresatrt without the password that I donot hav!

Expert:  David replied 4 years ago.

Please restart your computer. Then open iTunes and try to sign out.

If it fails again the same way, please give the exact text of the error.

Thanks,
David.