MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My MacBook Pro just went black-totally dead while playing a

My MacBook Pro just went black-totally dead while playing a mindless game. Will not power up-no warning-just gone. HELP!

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

MacTechTrainer :

• First, hold in your power button for approximately 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown.

MacTechTrainer :

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

MacTechTrainer :

• Turn on the computer.

MacTechTrainer :

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)

MacTechTrainer :

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

MacTechTrainer :

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

MacTechTrainer :

• Please update me to let me know if this works.

MacTechTrainer :

• Release the keys and allow the Mac to start up.

MacTechTrainer :

This should help with the freezing issue:

Customer:

Nope...nothing. no power

MacTechTrainer :

Ok is your Macbook Pro, the type of model that has a removable battery

MacTechTrainer :

in other words a removable battery from a compartment

Customer:

no, it looks like the bottom is solie....just tiny little screws

Customer:

solid

MacTechTrainer :

Ok, thanks for confirming that for me

MacTechTrainer :

now with your adapter, are you able to see a little green led charging light come on when you connect the Macbook Pro cord into a wall socket

Customer:

no-no green light: totally black

Customer:

no , totally dark-no light, green or orange at charger connection

MacTechTrainer :

Now in the past, you have been able to see a power indicator light on the power cord before this issue with no power, correct?

Customer:

LOL...I just typed my anwer on my dead Mac instead of the Dell desktop...Yes, always either green or red/orange...I'm thinking power cord failure?

MacTechTrainer :

Yes

MacTechTrainer :

that is what I am suspecting

MacTechTrainer :

Have you attempted to try connecting your Macbook Pro into a different power source (or wall socket)

Customer:

Nuts! THis mac was a birthday gift, one year ago 1/21!! So about 2 weeks out of warranty...

Customer:

Yes I have tried different sockets that I know areworking...

MacTechTrainer :

And still no power indicator on the LED in those other sources, correct?

Customer:

yes...black/dark/nada

MacTechTrainer :

Ok now I would have you try disconnecting the power card to check the battery power

MacTechTrainer :

but I have a feeling your Macbook Pro more than likely has a battery drain

MacTechTrainer :

due to possibly (at least what it looks like) defective MagSafe adapter cord

Customer:

yep....nothing when I try to power up...think I will be making a trip to town Monday to the local independent shop that has one fellow that knows MACs and hopefully a matching cord to test it out...

MacTechTrainer :

That I believe is the culprit

Customer:

Is that something I can get from him or do I need to go to MAC...??

MacTechTrainer :

those Macbook Pro batteries are pretty resilient

MacTechTrainer :

If you can get your hands, simply on another MagSafe adapter cord

Customer:

it probably drained as I never turn it off...am I a bad girl for that?

MacTechTrainer :

that is all you need to test this

MacTechTrainer :

because correct me if I am wrong, but your Macbook Pro was working great within the past few days correct?

MacTechTrainer :

No! Not at all

MacTechTrainer :

I never turn my products off either

MacTechTrainer :

that is why there is a feature called "Sleep"

MacTechTrainer :

;)

MacTechTrainer :

that shuts down your Macbook Pro without completely powering it off

MacTechTrainer :

So you are ok there

Customer:

Absolutely-lightening fast, never a moment's trouble...I had a Sony Viao laptop I finally crushed with my motorhome after 10 trips to SanDiego for power cord problems...

Customer:

Well, thanks for all your help. Well worth the $$$ to know it probably isn't terminal!!

MacTechTrainer :

I will still be here for you anyway- because now you got me curious as to what is causing your Macbook Pro from powering up

MacTechTrainer :

If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark (or add to your Favorites if using Internet Explorer) this session in your web browser so you can come back to this session and alert me.

MacTechTrainer :

And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, if you Accept any of my answers, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service as we are always glad to know how are customers feel about their experience with us.

MacTechTrainer :

you received help from me, comes back.

MacTechTrainer :

And thank you for allowing me to be your Expert,

Customer:

How will I let you know aftter my trip to town Monday? Just sign back on here?

MacTechTrainer :

yes indeed

MacTechTrainer :

because I am still here to help as much as you need me

MacTechTrainer :

and by bookmarking this session

Customer:

ok-dokey...have a great day...ever in Wyoming, come to Miss ginny's Roost Steak House and I will buy you one of our famous ribeyes!!

MacTechTrainer :

that gives you the ability to chat back with me or even reply to the post if I am offline

MacTechTrainer :

and even if I am offline, I will be alerted in my personal Expert inbox :)

MacTechTrainer :

I would love to do that, but I am a vegetarian ;)

MacTechTrainer :

lol

MacTechTrainer :

thanks again

Customer:

I have BIG salads and brown rice and lentils in my kitchen, reday to go...LOL

MacTechTrainer :

and remember, bookmark this page and update me when you can

Customer:

Thanks again ginny

MacTechTrainer :

Now that is what I am talking about Ginny!

Thank you for the Accept and the kindness of your Bonus Ginny! I appreciate this very much.

I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not necessarily the end of the session, especially if you still have questions, or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

Terry, ("MacTechTrainer")
Sr. Mac Support Specialist)