MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I bought an IPad mini 16GB WiFi but cant connect to WiFi

Customer Question

I bought an IPad mini 16GB WiFi but can't connect to WiFi
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

If you go into Settings on your main iPad screen and then select WiFi, are you able to see the name of your network listed there or does it show "Not Connected"?

Customer:

my network is listed,it asks for password XXXXX I enter password XXXXX Join network, pop-up states 'unable to join the network'

MacTechTrainer :

thanks for that information

MacTechTrainer :

And just to make sure I am on the same page with you

Customer:

Am I supposed to hook up Ipad mini to my laptop ?

MacTechTrainer :

your network password XXXXX with your other wireless products when connecting to your network, correct?

MacTechTrainer :

No not for WiFi- simply because it is wireless

Customer:

Yes, my laptop and android phone

MacTechTrainer :

so you are ok with not having to perform that action

MacTechTrainer :

Oh so with the android and laptop, you could disconnect their connections from your wireless network and with that password (that is not currently working on your iPad Mini), can reconnect and sign right back into the network with no problem, is this right?

MacTechTrainer :

(Thank you for your patience in advance, as I have to ask these questions in order to better isolate what some of the symptoms of your technical issue are-- in order to work toward a more viable solution for you)

Customer:

Do I need an Apple ID ? The box states,Apple ID required for some features and internet access

MacTechTrainer :

I believe you may

MacTechTrainer :

Do you have one already created?

Customer:

I don't know,I haven't tried that .How would I do this ?

MacTechTrainer :

I can help you that. One quick question however- I did not get a confirmation from your regarding that question I just posted above:

MacTechTrainer :

"Oh so with the android and laptop, you could disconnect their connections from your wireless network and with that password (that is not currently working on your iPad Mini), can reconnect and sign right back into the network with no problem, is this right?"

Customer:

No I haven't created an Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

Confirm that for me if you would and I will get the information you need to set up a new Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

Oh no not that- you have confirmed that part

MacTechTrainer :

I just wanted to make sure I understood that if you were to disconnect the android or laptop from your current wireless network,

Customer:

I don't know how or have tried to disconnect laptop and phone from WiFi

MacTechTrainer :

you could log back in with the same password (that currently does not work on the iPad), with no problem, correct?

MacTechTrainer :

that is why I am still seeking to confirm that with you

MacTechTrainer :

because even once I help you set up the Apple ID (which I will as I mentioned before), if the network password XXXXX XXXXX working for you other devices signing on wirelessly

Customer:

I don't know how to disconnect from Wifi for laptop and phone.How would I do that ?

MacTechTrainer :

we are are almost back to square one

MacTechTrainer :

What type of laptop do you have if I may ask?

Customer:

HP pavilion g6-1 d84nr notebook PC with Windows 7/intel core 13

MacTechTrainer :

Ok good to know.

MacTechTrainer :

Now I am not going to take you through disconnecting your laptop or Android phone from your wireless network just yet-

MacTechTrainer :

I will only do that as a last resort

MacTechTrainer :

if this Apple ID creation and signing into the iPad with your current network password, does not help

MacTechTrainer :

So in order to set up an Apple ID, is quite simple and takes just a few minutes

MacTechTrainer :

here is the link: My Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

When you get to the main page, just click the blue button on the bottom left side of the page, in order to create a new Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

NOTE: Make sure when setting up your new Apple ID- that you create answers you can remember for your security questions, which the Apple ID set up assistant will give you the option to do

MacTechTrainer :

Because to forget your security questions, can pose challenges to accessing your Apple ID in cases where you may forget your password XXXXX any reason

MacTechTrainer :

I recommend writing down your new Apple ID password XXXXX the answers to your security questions and storing them in a safe place- just in case

MacTechTrainer :

Please update me when you have successfully set up a new Apple ID, before continuing on your iPad

MacTechTrainer :

thanks

Customer:

I went to the link and it stated my primary email addy was already associated with an Apple ID. my emailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for confirming that for me. Now the question remains

MacTechTrainer :

are you able to use that Apple ID ok?

Customer:

No,because it wouldn't allow me to set up an ID

MacTechTrainer :

Just to let you know, we cannot see any email addresses you post in you chat session with us,

MacTechTrainer :

for your security and privacy or chat system will take your email address and turn it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

MacTechTrainer :

so I won't be able to view any of your email addresses you post in this session

MacTechTrainer :

now going back to the issue here with not being able to set up the Apple ID

Customer:

okay,when I was directed to the link,I followed the instructions and the site stated my y a h o o email was associated with an ID

MacTechTrainer :

Ok- that is just what I was about to ask

MacTechTrainer :

because if the Apple ID page is telling you that you already have an Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

if you cannot initially connect to it, you should be able to reset the password XXXXX it

MacTechTrainer :

so you can get access to that Apple ID

Customer:

How do I do this ?

MacTechTrainer :

(hope that makes sense)

MacTechTrainer :

Ok when you receive a message from Apple on that site indicating that your Yahoo! email is already associated with an Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

have you tried to take that yahoo email as an Apple ID and reset the password

MacTechTrainer :

using password XXXXX for the Apple ID on that website?

Customer:

No I haven't. Can you retype the link so I may try

MacTechTrainer :

sure

MacTechTrainer :

coming right up

MacTechTrainer :

My Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

if ever you need to locate this website in the future, you can also use Google (or any other web search engine you use) and simply type "My Apple ID" in the search box and you will be able to get to that My Apple ID page

Customer:

Ok,retried,and it still stated my primary email addy is associated with an apple ID. Maybe I should take the Ipad mini to an Apple store.

Customer:

Thanks for your help anyway.

MacTechTrainer :

Not just yet

MacTechTrainer :

that is actually not such an extreme step you have to take just yet

MacTechTrainer :

I have some steps I can take you through to help you still get your question answered without you having to even leave your home unnecessarily

Customer:

okay

MacTechTrainer :

as long as you are willling to allow me to continue to help you, I will guide you now

Customer:

okay

MacTechTrainer :

so don't throw that towel on me yet :)!

MacTechTrainer :

:-)

Customer:

Haha

MacTechTrainer :

Ok first, I owe you an explanation on my plan of attack here

MacTechTrainer :

first, I need to bookmark (save) this web page, if you have not already done so, in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

that way you can come back to this session and chat me whenever you need to, as necessary while we are working on this issue

Customer:

okay

MacTechTrainer :

Next, I would like to take you through some steps where I can help you get a live connection to Apple ( I will still be here in this chat for you at the same time), so they can help you reset your Apple ID password XXXXX their server-side

Customer:

Alright

MacTechTrainer :

it is a little "workaround" I discovered while helping my wife with her (same) Apple ID issue

MacTechTrainer :

this worked for us, so I am counting on this working for you :)

Customer:

Was she born in the '50's ?!

MacTechTrainer :

Haa haa!

MacTechTrainer :

no we are both Mid 40 somethings :)

MacTechTrainer :

so we are products of the late 60's

Customer:

so,your brain cells are still working

MacTechTrainer :

We are vegetarians and very active in our lifestyle now, so we can be real active seniors when our grand children start coming ;)

MacTechTrainer :

So yes inded

MacTechTrainer :

:indeed"

Customer:

You'll need it,I have 4 grandchildren

MacTechTrainer :

and I will use those "brain cells" to help you now- (haa haa) especially knowing that information you just posted

Customer:

ok,thanks

MacTechTrainer :

So the plan is get this pesky Apple ID issue resolved, so you CAN use it with your iPad Mini

Customer:

Ready...

MacTechTrainer :

then that will free me up to finally help you get that iPad Mini connected to your network \

Customer:

Yay !

MacTechTrainer :

Ok give me a few minutes, it is a bit detailed so I have to type it out -

MacTechTrainer :

BUT i assure you it is easy to follow and it will have screen shots (pictures) so you can see what page I need you to be at

MacTechTrainer :

all you will need to do for me, is to say "ok" or "done" once you complete a step, so we can move on to the next step

Customer:

Ok,sounds good

MacTechTrainer :

sound ok for you?

MacTechTrainer :

Good

MacTechTrainer :

let's get started

Customer:

Yup

MacTechTrainer :

first instructions coming up in a minute

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

1.) Go to the Apple Express Lane website: https://expresslane.apple.com/

Customer:

will do that now

MacTechTrainer :

**On this page you will see all Apple Products- select the iPad image

MacTechTrainer :

Full Size Image

MacTechTrainer :

To enlarge these images I post in this session, simply click the "Full Size Image" link to get a larger view of the screen shot image I post for you

Customer:

ok i just did

MacTechTrainer :

Ok and you have selected your iPad product correct?

Customer:

I clicked on IPad

MacTechTrainer :

Good next..

MacTechTrainer :

2.) Select the Topic: iTunes Store, App Store or iBookstore

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

located on the left side view of the page:

Customer:

just did

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so now on the left side

MacTechTrainer :

3.) Once you select that topic- then on the right window that appears, select: Apple ID account billing

4.) Then under the "Please tell us more about the issue" section
Type in: Issue with using Apple ID account

Customer:

ok will do that now

Customer:

done

MacTechTrainer :

good

MacTechTrainer :

5.) Now, under the menu: Choose the iTunes Store or App Store for your country:
select your country and press Continue

6.) You should now be taken to a window where you have three options for contacting Apple Support

a.) Start a chat session with Apple Support now.
b.) Contact Apple Support by phone
c.) Arrange to have Apple Support contact you later or
d.) Email Apple Support

Full Size Image

MacTechTrainer :

I would recommend for quicker results that you either chat or arrange to contact Apple Support by phone

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

This way you can connect with a live Apple agent

MacTechTrainer :

through iPad Support

MacTechTrainer :

and you can request to be connected to iTunes account security

MacTechTrainer :

which who my wife and I spoke to

Customer:

arranged for a chat,now what ?

MacTechTrainer :

and within a short time they fixed the Apple ID access issue we had

Customer:

Sorry didn't read your entire message.

MacTechTrainer :

no worries

MacTechTrainer :

I will stay actively in this chat with you

MacTechTrainer :

But the key here is getting to the iTunes account security group per the iPad Apple agent you connect with

MacTechTrainer :

that way you can be transferred to that targeted iTunes department so we can get your Apple ID fixed

MacTechTrainer :

because only they can do it

Customer:

ok,have an agent on chat now

MacTechTrainer :

I will be standing by for now

MacTechTrainer :

Just fire any questions you may have as needed, or update me as you can

Customer:

the agent is saying I need to set up Itunes account , I understand billing,but why I tunes account ?

MacTechTrainer :

Your same Apple ID can be used as an iTunes account

MacTechTrainer :

have you ever purchased any music or videos, from the iTunes store before?

MacTechTrainer :

I think the reason the agent is mentioning this, is because the iTunes account using your Apple ID, would have purchase details including credit card information listed

Customer:

No,I received an Ipod in 2007 and still haven't uploaded any songs yet ....

MacTechTrainer :

has he/she added anything thing else to that suggestion?

MacTechTrainer :

Ok no worries- we still have room to work

MacTechTrainer :

What does the agent say when you ask about being directed to iTunes account security- are they saying they can get you there, once you set up an iTunes account with an Apple ID?

Customer:

He/she stated my primary email addy is my Apple ID and sent a link for billing info

MacTechTrainer :

and your primary email address is the Yahoo! email you told me about earlier, correct?

MacTechTrainer :

(take your time, you are doing well, chatting between us like this)

Customer:

In order to add billing information, you would have to follow these instructions below, after this is done you can purchase items from the iTunes Store: 1. Open iTunes. If you do not have iTunes, you can download iTunes here. 2. From the Store menu, choose Create Apple ID. Click Continue on the resulting screen. 3. To proceed, you'll need to agree to the Terms and Conditions. Once you've read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions, click the checkbox next to "I have read and agree to these terms and conditions." 4. Click Agree. 5. Complete the form to create your free Apple ID (which is what you will use to log in to the iTunes Store). 6. The form includes security questions for your protection, and asks for an optional rescue email address. Providing a rescue email is recommended. Learn more about the rescue email address. 7. Once you've filled out the form, click Continue. 8. If you receive a warning that the email address you entered is already associated with an Apple ID, follow these instructions about using an existing Apple ID instead. 9. Provide a valid payment method and billing address. You will not be charged until you make a purchase. 10. Once you've provided all the required billing information, click Continue. 11. You will need to verify your email address. Check your email for a verification email from Apple. 12. In the verification email you receive from Apple, click the Verify Now link. 13. You'll be taken to the Apple ID page to verify your email address. 14. Enter your email address and the password XXXXX used to create your Apple ID. Then, click Verify Add

MacTechTrainer :

Got that information

Customer:

Thsese are the instructions the agent provided

MacTechTrainer :

thanks for posting it

MacTechTrainer :

are you still on with that Agent?

MacTechTrainer :

or did they end the session with you?

Customer:

Still on, do I need to ask for any more info?

MacTechTrainer :

Did you let the agent know of the access problem you are currently having with your Apple ID now?

Customer:

Yes, unable to connect to wifi network,waiting for an answer

MacTechTrainer :

Ok keep me posted

MacTechTrainer :

- will await further update

Customer:

explained to agent that ipad mini won't accept password XXXXX use for notebook and android phone,waiting for reply

MacTechTrainer :

Ok

Customer:

08 p.m.]:

Ok I would try this again after resetting Network Settings on your iPad Mini. First Tap Settings, Tap General, Tap Reset, Tap Reset Network Settings, then Reset Network Settings again. After this reboots I would try following the steps I provided above to make sure you are finding the correct network you want to join and entering in the correct password.

Customer:

Agent's reply

MacTechTrainer :

Those are the exact same steps I was going to provide

MacTechTrainer :

which you can go ahead and take care to do when you have a chance

MacTechTrainer :

but

Customer:

Should I sign off chat with Apple agent at this time ?

MacTechTrainer :

when you starting having issues with the Apple ID, that is where your initial question took a turn in a different direction

MacTechTrainer :

so is the Agent stating at this time, that if you set up the iTunes account with your Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

that your Apple ID will work ok for you on your iPad Mini?

Customer:

How do I do this ? I can only turn on Ipad and when I get to Network,that's the problem

Customer:

let me ask

MacTechTrainer :

No worries about that- after you finish with the Chat agent, I will help you with his/her instructions for resetting your network on your iPad

MacTechTrainer :

that is simple to do

MacTechTrainer :

it is the Apple ID issue I do not want you to be left hanging in then balance on

Customer:

Oh you will be able to reset the network settings before you create the iTunes Account

Customer:

So I should have no problem with my Apple ID,as it is my primary email addy,is that correct ?

Customer:

Ok, this is the info the agent gave me and I signed off.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok, then that should be good enough- I can resume from here, but make sure that the agent provides you a toll-free Apple support number you can call back on

MacTechTrainer :

as well as a Case#

MacTechTrainer :

that way it is proof they have record of your chat session with them

Customer:

I have a Case # XXXXX did not ask for toll-free # XXXXX didn't print the chat info. Will I run into problems again ?

Customer:

You must have the patience of a saint...!

MacTechTrainer :

I think you can call(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor Apple Support

MacTechTrainer :

Awww thanks!

MacTechTrainer :

appreciate your vote of confidence- that is what I am here for!

Customer:

ok,I will copy and paste that #,thanks

Customer:

Now what's the next step ?

MacTechTrainer :

One moment setting up some next steps

MacTechTrainer :

appreciate your patience thus far!

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

So would you like to start with the network reset process first?

Customer:

Yup,that would be good

MacTechTrainer :

Ok on your main IPad screen, look for the icon entitled Settings

MacTechTrainer :

(remember to say "ok or done" once you have finished a step)

Customer:

ok turned it on , I touched the screen for English,the USA and now at Choose a Network,this is where the problem starts

Customer:

I don't see Main Screen Settings anywhere

Customer:

or any Icons

Customer:

What does a Lightening connector do ?

MacTechTrainer :

Oh I see what you are experiencing here

MacTechTrainer :

you are just starting out on your iPad mini so you have not even had a chance to really enjoy using it yet!

MacTechTrainer :

I am sorry I missed that part, but I will still work to help you as well as I can

Customer:

No,just got it in the mail yesterday !

MacTechTrainer :

Understood

MacTechTrainer :

and congrats on the new purchase

MacTechTrainer :

now I am really invested in helping you here

Customer:

thanks,I hope this thing really does work !

MacTechTrainer :

Oh it will- we just have to get past this networking hurtle

Customer:

you said it

MacTechTrainer :

The lightening connector works in two ways

MacTechTrainer :

it charges your iPad Mini

MacTechTrainer :

but it also allows you to connect the iPad mini to a computer or laptop with iTunes installed

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

so you can sync (transfer or import new data like music, videos and apps) into iTunes

Customer:

I see...

MacTechTrainer :

as well as back up your data on your iPad Mini, so if your iPad Mini ever has an issue and is erased

MacTechTrainer :

you can restore that backed up information to the iPad Mini

Customer:

Great !

MacTechTrainer :

before this session is over, I will have a few helpful links to guide you on how to do that

MacTechTrainer :

so just in case, please remind me, if I should forget--

Customer:

Thanks,appreciate it

MacTechTrainer :

to provide that info to you, once we are done with this network issue

MacTechTrainer :

you are so very welcome!

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so now on your present screen

Customer:

okay

MacTechTrainer :

refresh me what you see now

Customer:

Choose A Network,it has the network listed that I use for the android and laptop

Customer:

It also says "set up ipad mini using Itunes if wifi not available

MacTechTrainer :

ok so that is good that it recognizes your network. So now tell me, who do you use for your Internet Service in your home (or home office) at this present time?

Customer:

Comcast for internet and Verizon for android phone

MacTechTrainer :

Ok good

MacTechTrainer :

and did Comcast set up your wireless network in your home?

Customer:

Yes

MacTechTrainer :

Ok, so this should be resolvable -

MacTechTrainer :

now did Comcast provide you the password XXXXX your network

Customer:

okay

MacTechTrainer :

or did you create it?

Customer:

I had a Dell laptop previously when Comcast set up TV/internet/landline, then bought HP and used same network and pass word,this was April 2012

Customer:

I created the password

MacTechTrainer :

Ok so that right there proves you have a working network password

MacTechTrainer :

Now when you enter that same network password XXXXX XXXXX any error code that pops up?

MacTechTrainer :

if you re not sure, try it again and let me know exactly what you see

MacTechTrainer :

I am going to the core level here to determine why that same network password XXXXX have created and are using on other products, is not working on your new iPad Mini

Customer:

It says Unable to join the network "papa"...which is what I've always used,my son set it up that way and I even tried the password XXXXX uses which is different from mine which works with the laptop and android

Customer:

Does that make sense ?

MacTechTrainer :

Makes perfect sense

MacTechTrainer :

sorry for the delay in between our replies

MacTechTrainer :

I am just thinking at that point

MacTechTrainer :

trying to figure the least path of resistance for you

Customer:

that's ok

MacTechTrainer :

Now one thing I can think of here- and this is a "just in case"

Customer:

been doing that all my life...ha !

MacTechTrainer :

haa haa!

MacTechTrainer :

What I was going to say was I noticed when you provided me the message from your iPad Mini

MacTechTrainer :

one other option was to skip the network set up and set your iPad Mini through iTunes

MacTechTrainer :

to do that would be a way to get the iPad Mini set up, but that is where the Apple ID issue came into play, correct?

Customer:

oh okay .so I would set up an ITunes account or try the option on the mini?

MacTechTrainer :

Yes

MacTechTrainer :

that is exactly what I would recommend

Customer:

let me try that and see

MacTechTrainer :

and then tell me this- if not sure about the network password, is there a way to reach your son

MacTechTrainer :

and ask him about the network password, just as a back up alternative?

Customer:

yes,his cell phone

Customer:

okay, I touched Continue without wifi for Itunes and pad displays itunes and plug-the lightning connector. Would that hook up with my laptop ?

MacTechTrainer :

Yes!

MacTechTrainer :

good move

Customer:

ok,trying that now

MacTechTrainer :

the lightening connector has a USB connector at the other end to connect into your computer

Customer:

computer states ipad installation successful...now what ?

Customer:

nothing is happening

MacTechTrainer :

Not to worry

MacTechTrainer :

tell me what you see on your iPad screen now

Customer:

itunes musical note displaying the lightning connector

Customer:

do I need to go to Itunes website ?

MacTechTrainer :

Tell me is this what you are seeing with the iPad connected to your computer?

Customer:

yes

MacTechTrainer :

Ok is the iTunes application currently installed on the computer, that your iPad is currently connected to?

Customer:

no

MacTechTrainer :

Ok then this is going to help you in a major way with this setup process

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

I need you to download and install iTunes on your computer that your iPad is connected to

MacTechTrainer :

we are getting closer now to getting this iPad up

MacTechTrainer :

one moment as I get the link for you

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

Link: Download iTunes 11

MacTechTrainer :

the download and installation of iTunes is fairly easy, but as you need to, feel free to ask me question during that install

Customer:

okay,how do I know if the download was successful ?

MacTechTrainer :

Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox for your web browser if I may ask?

Customer:

internet explorer

MacTechTrainer :

Look on your Internet Explorer tool bar and select Tools from the menu bar

MacTechTrainer :

then click on the "view downloads" option from the Tools drop down menu

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

That will bring a pop up screen which should show you the newly downloaded iTunes file

MacTechTrainer :

then you can click the download file and start the process of downloading iTunes to your computer

MacTechTrainer :

iTunes has a very nice, user friendly, set up process

MacTechTrainer :

so you should not have any issues- again however, if you do, you got ME here ;)

Customer:

when I click on internet explorer it opens up google

Customer:

Okay,now it's downloading...Duh !

MacTechTrainer :

haa haaa!

MacTechTrainer :

good to know

MacTechTrainer :

(laughing with you on that one!)

Customer:

Okay,I'm back...computer shut down ,installed updates and did some reconfiguring. Do I view recent downloads to check on Itunes. Nothing still is happening with ipad mini now

MacTechTrainer :

Ok again not to worry

MacTechTrainer :

do you have the iTunes application open at this time on your computer now?

Customer:

nope

Customer:

I think it's me...non tech intelligence

MacTechTrainer :

Don't you dare-

MacTechTrainer :

you have been awesome thus far

MacTechTrainer :

Your patience alone lets me know you are an even more "awesomer" Grand parent

MacTechTrainer :

and I am not going anywhere

MacTechTrainer :

so no problem there

MacTechTrainer :

Now what I need to know, is - is that iTunes download completed?

Customer:

oh thanks,the grandchildren think so and they probably know more about this stff than I do ...I'm sure they do !

MacTechTrainer :

or has it stop showing a download screen

MacTechTrainer :

That is why they better help you going forward- grandparents are precious

Customer:

Every time I think I've downloaded,It doesn't appear when I view downloads

Customer:

I think so,just watched the download and clicked on Finish...finally I hope

MacTechTrainer :

That is ok take your time

MacTechTrainer :

I am just following along and also make sure to get an idea where your downloads from Internet Explorer are going to

Customer:

Itunes is listed under 'All programs" and in the Control panel under "programs"..same thing. But still no change on Ipad,no icons or settings appearing

MacTechTrainer :

That is ok

Customer:

So what happens next ? Do I go the Apple website and create an account?

MacTechTrainer :

I just want to make sure your iTunes opens to a window that looks like this:

Full Size Image

MacTechTrainer :

We have to make sure that is up first

Customer:

No I didn't see that image

MacTechTrainer :

Ok that is what we need to confirm first before we can set up the iTunes account

MacTechTrainer :

you see, without a working iTunes application that you can open, we can't get your iPad set up properly

MacTechTrainer :

So let me take small step back so you don't lose the momentum here

MacTechTrainer :

when you go into Start >Programs

MacTechTrainer :

do you see an iTunes icon that you can click to open up the iTunes application or no?

Customer:

I went back to download itunes 11 link and reinstalled and entered Apple ID...forgot password...no surprise,will check email and return to site and I think I am on the right page for the image you sent

MacTechTrainer :

Ok well in this instance, I am following your updates, so try as you can to locate the iTunes program so you can open it

MacTechTrainer :

when you do, it is going to open alot more options for you to get the iPad Mini up and working

Customer:

I'm officially signed into itunes,still not getting that image. Do I need to go back to Itunes store and click on another option?

MacTechTrainer :

Great update

MacTechTrainer :

so to catch up with you, the iPad is no longer displaying that iTunes symbol and lightening smbol

MacTechTrainer :

"symbol"

Customer:

No, it still is

MacTechTrainer :

Ok but you have an iTunes program open, correct?

Customer:

I don't knowwhat I'm doing wrong

MacTechTrainer :

That's ok, its my job to figure out what is going on.

Customer:

yes

MacTechTrainer :

So I am still not sure if you have the iTunes application open-

MacTechTrainer :

Do you or do you not at this time?

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry, I am working to check that first

Customer:

Now mini is displaying Location Services,I guess I touch Enable

MacTechTrainer :

Yes

MacTechTrainer :

that is good- seeing some progress here :)

Customer:

IT'S UP AND RUNNING !!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

MacTechTrainer :

Now I take it you are able to see iTunes up!

MacTechTrainer :

YES!!

MacTechTrainer :

Wond-er-ful !

Customer:

YES !!!

MacTechTrainer :

you did it!

MacTechTrainer :

I don't even have your first name, but I cannot help to say how proud I am of you

MacTechTrainer :

it takes a lot of "hutzpah" to hang in there for over the 3 hours+ that you have

Customer:

I did but with your help and patience ! Wow !!! Thanks so much ! My name is XXXXX XXXXX the grandkids call me "Bub". I am so excited to use this !!!

MacTechTrainer :

Mickey, I hope I can be a grandparent just like you when I get to that phase in my life

MacTechTrainer :

your patience was outstanding!

MacTechTrainer :

We like to call that "old school" patience from my camp

MacTechTrainer :

teach the young'uns a thing or two about patience and diligence

Customer:

Oh you and your wife will do fine,you've got lots of patience and understanding,thanks so much. One more question,can I use the mini without being connected to my laptop?

MacTechTrainer :

I am actually a Mac Tutor by trade-

MacTechTrainer :

forgot to mention that to you :)

MacTechTrainer :

and thanks for the words of inspiration there- I will have to share that with my wife!

MacTechTrainer :

Andyes

MacTechTrainer :

you can use your iPad without being connected to your laptop

Customer:

Oh, thank goodness ! What is your name,I want to make sure you get the credit you deserve for assisting me.

MacTechTrainer :

the purpose of setting up your iPad with iTunes is an important one Mickey, because you can transfer purchase music, videos, apps and more using iTunes as your main media player

MacTechTrainer :

my name isXXXXX Support Specialist, at your service

MacTechTrainer :

oh and I remember!

MacTechTrainer :

I promised to provide you some helpful links for getting the most from your iPad Mini

MacTechTrainer :

would you mind if I take a few minutes more to provide that to you?

Customer:

GREAT ! THANKS TERRY AND GOD BLESS YOU. HAVE A GOOD WEEK-END AND ENJOY THE SUPERBOWL...I HAVE $5.00 ON THE 49NERS.

Customer:

No, go ahead,Terry

Customer:

Good thing you remembered....!

MacTechTrainer :

My family and I are also BIG 49ers fans!

MacTechTrainer :

Go Niners!

MacTechTrainer :

Be right back Mickey

Customer:

ok

MacTechTrainer :

This is one of my favorite pages to go from Apple

MacTechTrainer :

because it gives you all the basics to get familiarized with your iPad Mini

MacTechTrainer :

Apple Support- iPad: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

Customer:

Thanks Terry,I'll copy and paste and write this down too !

MacTechTrainer :

Here is one more:

MacTechTrainer :

another very good resource

MacTechTrainer :

so that is all Mickey!

MacTechTrainer :

Hope that helps

Customer:

You are getting the Excellent Smiley Face...you certainly went out of your way and I appreciate it !

MacTechTrainer :

you received help from me, comes back.

MacTechTrainer :

And I thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. Keep in mind also, if you Accept any of my answers, it does not mean the session is over, especially if the issue

MacTechTrainer :

If you are satisfied that I have resolved your question to your satisfaction, please feel free to rate my service as we are always glad to know how are customers feel about their experience with us.

MacTechTrainer :

If all is well however, then there is no need to return. If you want to be cautious however, you are welcome to bookmark (or add to your Favorites if using Internet Explorer) this session in your web browser so you can come back to this session and alert me.

Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Thank you for the Accept and the kindness of your Bonus, Mickey! I appreciate this very much.

I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not necessarily the end of the session, especially if you still have questions, or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

Terry, ("MacTechTrainer")
Sr. Mac Support Specialist)