Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

iPhoto 9.4.2 freezes on uploading a 100 page book. Gets to

iPhoto 9.4.2 freezes on uploading a 100 page book. Gets to about 40% upload. It does though request credit check each time, so my credit card is not being charged but the limit is going down. Checked with Apple support, they cannot see a purchase happened. iPhoto can create a .pdf, so Apple doesn't think its the book or pictures. Need the book soon for a special birthday...Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60) i7 3.4 Quad, 16GB RAM

in safe mode crashed:

Process: iPhoto [231]
Path: /Applications/
Version: 9.4.2 (9.4.2)
Build Info: iPhotoProject-710042000000000~2
App Item ID:NNN-NN-NNNNbr />App External ID: 11723545
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [162]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2013-02-02 11:50:49.246 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: 618885 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 16
Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 298900 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1
Anonymous UUID: FF0A89BD-1DE3-B2F9-328D-F02D63620104

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue:

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** +[NSString stringWithUTF8String:]: NULL cString'

Application Specific Backtrace 1:
0 CoreFoundation 0x0185712b __raiseError + 219
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x04df852e objc_exception_throw + 230
2 CoreFoundation 0x017b6bbb +[NSException raise:format:] + 139
3 Foundation 0x0499caf1 +[NSString stringWithUTF8String:] + 90
4 iLifePageLayout 0x033ee0a7 -[KHPDFGenerator _retrieveGPUInfo] + 83
5 libobjc.A.dylib 0x04e055d3 -[NSObject performSelector:withObject:] + 70
6 Foundation 0x049df0c0 __NSThreadPerformPerform + 395
8 CoreFoundation 0x0172d099 __CFRunLoopDoSources0 + 233
9 CoreFoundation 0x01752e46 __CFRunLoopRun + 934
10 CoreFoundation 0x0175263a CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 378
11 CoreFoundation 0x017524ab CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
12 HIToolbox 0x06b7015a RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 242
13 HIToolbox 0x06b6fec9 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 374
14 HIToolbox 0x06b6fd44 BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 88
15 AppKit 0x05485a3a _DPSNextEvent + 724
16 AppKit 0x0548526c -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 119
17 AppKit 0x056d82c0 -[NSApplication _realDoModalLoop:peek:] + 667

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Does this happens at any specific page ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I sent several inputs did you get ?

Unfortunately No. Could you please resend them ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it seems I cannot copy the dump to you. The interface just exits and I thought you got it.

I buy the book, it assembles, it starts to upload, then it stops and freezes the entire iMAC (which otherwise never happens).

In safe mode it crashes, but I could not send you the dump.

It doesn't say a page, it shows a completion bar that I would estimate at about 40% or less...

Can you go thourgh all pages and make sure the images didn't spread front from one page to other or outline ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure what you mean.

I mean make sure the photos in the pages are not over zoomed to outside the pages and all photos are correctly placed.

If that didn't work, then goto Applications folder and open Font Book. Select All Fonts in there, goto File menu and select Validate Fonts. Remove all fonts that show errors.

Then, on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file "" from there. Restart iPhoto and try again.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just finished doing all of this, but still freezes.

Only change is on the limit of my credit card....

Sorry for the delay. I will try my best to help you. We can rebuild your iPhoto Library and also run Disk Utility

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process.

Then goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk. Click Verify Disk and then Repair Disk. Then Repair Permission.

Then do all updates from Apple > Software Update. Now before ordering, please preview your Book and please tell me how it behave. See here :
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am doing this right now.

the rebuilds take a while.

I can only select one at a time...

btw I have reviewed the book and also tried a .pdf

they are perfect...

Try to Preview it after rebuilding it. Please let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No change. PDF perfect, iPhoto freezes system when uploading,

I have now decreased my credit limit by 3000$ because every try is 200$.

I'm really sorry. I'm out of ideas. I will opt out and send this question to other experts. If they have any idea, they will get back to you. Sorry I couldn't solve your problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I managed to solve it in a different way.

I opened iPhoto on my laptop and opened the library on my MAC via the network and the purchased. It went through (very slowly) but finished...

In the mean time also a confirmation from Apple, so all seems good now.

Obviously the iphoto environment on my MAC still has some issues. Maybe deleting and reinstalling from scratch ?

Does that delete the libraries too ?

It seems like the problem is with the iPhoto application itself, not with the Libraries. I'm glad you got it uploaded.

Yes, reinstalling should work. No, It won't affect the iPhoto Libraries. Do you have the Mac OS X or iLife installation discs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was all preinstalled on my system...

Delete iPhoto application from your Mac. Don't empty the trash. Then goto AppStore, click Under Purchased and can you find iPhoto or iLife in there ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I have reinstalled everything, hope it will work next time....

I will rate you now to close the case...

best, MArk

Thank you Mark. Please add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to later if it happens again.

Best Regards,