James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

My Macbook Air keeps losing its connection with my network

Customer Question

My Macbook Air keeps losing its connection with my network printer. This happens repeatedly, with the connection dropping, and printing stopping. Then after a while, the connection is reestablished and printing resumes, but sometimes for only a page or two. I have given my printer a static ip address, as someone suggested, but the problem continues.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

What kind of router are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is an Arris router from xfinity.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the router from power for 5 minutes, reconnect and test again.

Is there any change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Argh! Thought it was working, then lost connection again.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok, don't worry. How far is the printer from the router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

About 2 feet away.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Turn both router and printer off - wait 5 minutes, turn back on.

Does it look any better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
Have you tried resetting the router to defaults?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It is hard to understand what is happening, but in looking on line, I have seen a lot of similar problems discussed. My mac is wirelessly connected to the network, and my hp printer is wired to the modem. The mac will be connected to the printer from time to time, but just as often, there is no connection, even though both the mac and the printer are on the network.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I understand.

One more question - did you connecting the mac to the modem (wired) to see if the problem is indeed wireless related?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't done that. I actually don't have a USB to USB cable to use for that purpose.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok - I'd like to suggest one more thing please.

Can you have Comcast replace the modem? I suspect it is defective and is not handling the wireless network traffic properly.
It can also be a problem with the Mac, but I'm confident the issue is actually with the modem.

Thanks,

J.