Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

RA - mk

Customer Question

I just bought an iMac. Data was transferred from my PC and I am also operating Parallels. I am using Outlook for email but using Apple for contacts, calendar and notes.
My apple contacts will not open today. can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!
My name is ***** ***** I'm here to help.
What happens when you try to open your Contacts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
So no error or window? Does it bounce in the dock when you click it, then just close?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all happens when I click on it
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
Okay, open a new Finder window (click the smiley face icon on the far left side of the Dock), then hold down the Option key and click the Go menu at the top of the screen. Select the Library folder. Find the Preferences folder, and inside that the com.apple.calendar.plist file. Move that to your Desktop and try opening it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will not open. can we do this over the phone?
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, no phone call option, sorry. Does it bounce in the dock a few times, but then not open?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does absolutely nothing.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OS X
Version 10.8.2
Processor 2.9 GHz Intel core i5
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation. I am required to post any procedure as an Answer even if it is just a diagnostic test, so please ignore the Rate to Finish box and Reply to Expert after you have tried that.
Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Completed
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK try opening Contacts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to Applications folder and double click on Contacts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New to Mac
Where is it
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Select the first icon in the Dock, the face (FInder), then go to the top left of your screen to Finder / Preferences / General and check all boxes under Show these items on the Desktop. Then open Macintosh HD / Applications / Contacts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Contact Contents
Now what?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You are right clicking I think. Just double left click.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you are running Parallels quit it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have options Resources Mac OS or Code signature
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You are running Parallels and tryng to open a Mac application from Windows. Windows does not understand what it is. That is not possible you have to switch to the Mac to use Mac applications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have to quit for a while. Need to pick up kids
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok quit Parallels