Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have MAC version 10.6.8. Im being told I dont have the

I have MAC version 10.6.8. I'm being told I don't have the latest version of JAVA hence a program I need to run for work won't do so. The JAVA website advises to contact you to bring this about so can you assist, please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But this is no good for my version of MAC?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Right the latest version of Java can only be run on Lion and above. Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Ok you will have to upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion to install the latest version of Java. Does your Mac fall into one of these categories?

OS X Mountain Lion system requirements
To install Mountain Lion, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MacBook Pro later than the date you quote

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Great then you just go here and click on Upgrade:

http://www.apple.com/osx/

to buy and install Mountain Lion, then you can download and install Java from the previous site I mentioned. I suggest you do this first:

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

If that is all OK you can proceed. Let me know if you get stuck.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. If not please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, where is Macintosh HD?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
On your Desktop it is your hard drive unless you renamed it but the icon looks like this:

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you assist with which version of Mountain Lion I need, please?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

There is only one version if you click on Upgrade Now:

http://www.apple.com/osx/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but it doesn't then tell me where to go next?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry usually it is automatic click on View in Mac App Store:

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike - that's fine but it doesn't tell me what to do next

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Have you ever bought an App from the App Store? You just click on the price and it changes to Buy App, then click again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How long does downloading take, please, it seems to be rather a while?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes sorry I stepped away for a break, knowing that,it depends on yor internet speed it is about 4 GB. Can be an hour or many hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike - Got there in the end. Thankyou for your help earlier.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Great!!

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.