Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

hi.. lost my admin password XXXXX I wrote down my filevault

Customer Question

hi.. lost my admin password XXXXX I wrote down my filevault password XXXXX days after buying new macbook air.. at this point, just trying to erase the encrypted partition and start over from the osx install volume. I've been trying stuff I've found on the net in terminal but without luck.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcomed to

My name is Nick. I will assist you with your issues.

What OS X do you have? 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i assume 10.8 since the macbook air is literally a few days old.

don't know how to check since i can't boot to anything but the recovery utility screen, and can't get past there.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.

You are saying that your Macbook Air is still in the Recovery screen?

If yes, can you select Utilities and select Terminal to reset the password?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

evidently you aren't familiar with filevault. can't reset the password on a filevault encrypted volume

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry that I missed that. I was thinking that you lost the admin password for OS.

Let me reopen your question to all experts for other suggestions. Once an expert replies, you will get email notifications from

Thank you!
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Mac issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is Ashik and I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Can you open Disk Utility from the Recovery Screen ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to cancel my question. Thank you,

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 years ago.
OK..I will request to cancel this question