Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.
63271161

my wife has an ipod touch. right now, it has the icon on the

my wife has an ipod touch. right now, it has the icon on the screen with the usb cable and an arrow pointing to the itunes logo. when i plug the usb cable into my computer, i get the following error message...USB Device Not Recognized. So itunes is not recognizing the device. what do i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 1 year ago.

Please press and hold both the Power button and the Home buttons together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, then check.
graphic

If that does not work.
  • Connect the iPod to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes program on your computer (make sure you iTunes program is up to date.)
  • On the iPod , press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After about 10 seconds release the Power button, but continue holding the Home button until the iTunes program shows that it has detected an iPod in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

iTunes nor my computer is recognizing the ipod. Even after performing the instructions you sent, I still get the error message "USB Device Not Recognized." Therefore, iTunes doesn't recognize it either.

Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Try following the instructions here for removing and reinstalling everything related to iTunes on your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything was uninstalled and reinstalled. It didn't help... still getting the "USB device not recognized."

Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried various USB ports on the computer, or another computer if you have one handy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried multiple USB ports and cables... I don't have another computer. All USB ports seem to be recognizing other mobile devices, so I don't think it's the computer, the ports, or the cables.

Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
Okay, lets try the following:

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click the System icon.
  3. Click the Hardware tab.
  4. Click Device Manager.
  5. Scroll down the list of devices to the Universal Serial Bus controllers
  6. Click the plus (+) icon next to the Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  7. Double-click one of the indented USB Root Hub entries.
  8. Click the Power Management tab.
  9. Deselect the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
  10. Click the OK button at the bottom of the window.
  11. Restart the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option was already deselected for all USB root hubs...

But... I did restart.

Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.
  1. Close iTunes and disconnect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  2. Click the Windows Start button Start button.
  3. In the Start Search field type Services.
  4. In the Programs section of the search results, Click "Services".
  5. Select Apple Mobile Device and click Stop the service.
  6. After the service has stopped, click Start the service.
  7. After the Apple Mobile Device service has started again, open iTunes and connect the device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still nothing... Same result as always.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcomed to JustAnswer.com.

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your issues.

I am sorry that your iPod touch is not working. What generation is your ipod touch?

When and where did you purchase it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure... I believe it is a first or second that I bought at Best Buy several years ago for my wife. She used it for a while, then it got misplaced. When we found it in a box that was in our heated garage from cleaning out her car, this is what was happening. So, it hasn't been abused or misused. It hasn't been used more than 25 hours total.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your info.

So after you found the ipod touch, was it like this? Or it was still working and just got this screen recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked for a while... then I bought a different device that we used a lot. When our son became interested, we wanted to give it to him. But, we can't get it to work...

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your info.

I know that you tried this already. However, let try this method even if you might did it:

1. First remove your ipod from computer and reboot your computer.
  2. Open iTunes.
  3. Once done, connect your ipod to computer.
  4. Press Power button until the iPod is turned off.
  5. Press and hold Power button. Keep holding power.
  6. When you see Apple logo on the screen, press and hold Home button.
  7. Hold power and home together for EXACTLY 10 seconds
  8. Release power button. Keep holding Home button until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
  9. At this point will the display come on iTunes. Select Restore.
  10. After the restore, your ipod will need to be setup and backup from icloud or from iTunes.

Please let me know how it went. Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Followed your steps...

However, after releasing the power button in step 8, I held the Home button for over 3 minutes. The same message... unrecognized USB device popped up. I clicked on the error message and it said there were no drivers for this device installed... Shouldn't those drivers been installed when I reinstalled all the software earlier?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
It should.

Please do the following steps:

1. First, we need to enable Hidden Files/Folders.
  2. Go to Control Panel and open Folder Options.
  3. Go to View tab and check Show hidden files,folders, or drives.
  4. Click Apply.
  5. Disconnect your iPod.
  6. Exit iTunes.
  7. C:\users\<username>\Music\iTunes.
  8. Move the file named sentinel.
  9. Open iTunes.
  10. Connect your ipod to computer and do the steps I provided earlier to Restore your ipod touch.

Nick
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Correction: Move the sentinel file to Desktop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sentinel moved to desktop...

Same result... after holding the power and home button for 10 seconds and holding just the home button, after about 15 seconds, I get the "unrecognized."

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Please do this method:

2. Double click Device Manager.
  3. Scroll down the list of devices to the Universal Serial Bus controllers
  4. Click the plus (+) icon next to the Universal Serial Bus controllers.
  5. Double-click one of the indented USB Root Hub entries.
  6. Click the Power Management tab.
  7. Deselect the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
  8. Click the OK button at the bottom of the window.
  9. Restart the computer.
  10. Open iTunes.
  11. Do another reset of Restore on your ipod touch.

Let's see how this goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We've already tried that one earlier...

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" are all deselected.

Do you want me to try it again anyway?

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Yes please.

Is your computer a desktop or laptop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Laptop... no dice... checked that the setting was deselected and ran the process again... same result.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

One last thing. We need to do a Power reset on your laptop.

1. Please turn off your laptop.
  2. Disconnect all the USB cables from laptop.
  3. Disconnect Power charger and battery from laptop.
  4. Press and hold Power button on your laptop for 30 seconds.
  5. Once done, put battery and connect Power charger back to laptop.
  6. Turn on your laptop.
  7. Open iTunes and connect your ipod touch to laptop.
  8. Run the process once more.
  9. If not working, please use another USB cable and run the process one more time.

Let me know how it went. Thanks!

Nick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Process complete, results haven't changed...

Ugh!!! Frustrated.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your update.

I am sorry that these methods did not work out. This indicates that there is a hardware issue with your ipod touch.

Unfortunately your ipod touch is out of warranty. If it is still in warranty we could send it in for Apple to get it repaired. Repair cost would be around $150. However, it is might be even more than what your ipod touch costs now.

You might want to take your iPod touch to a local Apple Store and see if they can repair for a discount. Or they can sell you a newer ipod touch with a discount trade in your non-working ipod. This varies from each store. However, a few of my customers had done this way.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. I will be happy to answer your questions. Please rate my service so I can get credit for my time.

Thanks and have a great day!

Nick
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.