Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

I have Quicken essential for Mac 1.7.2. It has worked well

I have Quicken essential for Mac 1.7.2. It has worked well until the past week and it is crashing every time I try to print checks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue - can you let me know if Quicken loads from a test user account?

If you go to Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Users

Click the padlock icon to make changes and then press the + button to add a new user. Once you have created a new user, restart and login as that test user and then see if Quicken loads correctly.

Let me know and we can then work to resolve that issue

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I set up a test user and I was able to go in an create a new Quicken checking account.

Hi Walter,

Thanks - if you can makes sure you have a backup of the Quicken data files and then search the machine for this file while logged in as your normal user.

quicken.plist

It should be in your User Library-->Preferences folder, move it to the Desktop and then try to start Quicken again.

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the Library under preference I found three possibilities

1. com.intuit.quicken.plist

2. com.intuit.quickenessentialLSSaredfilelist.plist

3. com.intuit.quickenEssential.piist

I have Quicken 2007 and Quicken essential on my computer but I am only using Quicken Essential

Hi Walter,

To be on the safe side I would move all of them to the Desktop and then retry Quicken from that account.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put all of the (Quicken) plist on the desktop and I am still crashing when I try to print

Hi Walter,

Do you get an error message or does it just close down?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It just says an error has occured

Thanks Walter - can you try the following?

Go to the Preferences menu in Quicken and select the Resetting Print Checks section, set this to Default and then try the operation again.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This option does not exist in my Quicken Preference

I have General and Security

Hi Walter,

Can you let me know if the alignment prints properly?

1. Choose File > Print Checks.
  2. Select the checkbox labeled Adjust Alignment.
  3. Insert a sheet of US Letter paper (not checks) into your printer.
  4. Click the Print button to print an alignment guide.
  5. Hold the alignment guide on top of a page of your checks and verify that the text appears in the right place.
  6. If you need to adjust the alignment, drag the text as necessary in the preview section of the printer dialog.
  7. Click the Print button to print an adjusted alignment guide. Repeat until the text is properly aligned.
  8. Clear the Adjust Alignment checkbox and continue printing your checks.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The program crashed when I clicked the print button to print an alignment guide

Hi Walter,

Thanks - can you try this procedure and let me know if that allows you to print ok?

1. Open the Applications folder
  2. Select the "Quicken Essentials" icon.
  3. Go to File>Get Info or hit Command+I.
  4. Check the option that says "Open in 32-bit mode".

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - it Works

I can print Checks and a report

Walt

Hi Walt,

Excellentt! Glad it is working for you, if you're happy to rate so we know how we're doing that would be great.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software