MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

ra-gbg

Customer Question

I have a 15 inch Mac, 4 years old, with OS 10.6.8. I use Final Cut Express HD 3.5. It started cutting off when I start to open it. I tried an uninstall and then a re install of original software. The support feed on the internet that I located gave a list of applications, preferences to delete. I could not find everything on the list, but deleted what I did. Did the reinstall. FCE still quits while opening.

What do you recommend?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

I believe I have a way to help you resolve the issue with re-installing FCE 3.5 so that it does work

Customer :

What do I need to do?

MacTechTrainer :

First I want you to download this free Application removal software called AppZapper v 2.0

MacTechTrainer :

it is very easy to install and even easier to use

MacTechTrainer :

this software will cleanly and safely remove all of your previous downloads and installs for FCE

MacTechTrainer :

so you can start fresh with a new installation without any further hindrances to the launching of the application

Customer :

I will try this. It will take a while to do this. Can I save this page, try this advice to see if it works and then click the rating later?

MacTechTrainer :

Oh yes please take your time. You can bookmark this page in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

and when you return back to this session, just post any reply and that will alert me that you are online and seeking to continue with me with your question

MacTechTrainer :

I will be alerted even if I am offline

Customer :

Ok.

Customer :

Ok. I will get back with you

MacTechTrainer :

Ok, I will be awaiting your update

Customer :

I down loaded AppZapper and deleted the FCE icon from

Customer :

I downloaded AppZapper and delected the FCE Icon as directed. Did the reinstall. Problem still exits. FCE quits during start up

Customer :

What do you suggest?

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for your update.

MacTechTrainer :

quick question- when you ran the AppZapper, and dragged the FCE icon to the AppZapper interface, this is show subfolders and files for FCE in the detail box before you deleted the application?

Customer :

I did not see a detail box. The AppZapper window showed an outline for an icon. I dragged the FCE icon into the outline. Second icon appeared, that looked to be already filled in that was labeled FCE preferences. You want me to repeat the process and look for the detail box?

MacTechTrainer :

Yes but with a slight change

MacTechTrainer :

I would like you to download and install the free software removal application called AppCleaner v 2.1.0

MacTechTrainer :

and use it instead. I know this app has a even newer update to it

MacTechTrainer :

and may work even better for this large application ( I use both)

MacTechTrainer :

this will not conflict with the AppZapper application at all

MacTechTrainer :

the AppCleaner like AppZapper, will zero in on all the files and folders of application in order to wipe the software clean from your Mac OS X 10.6.8 volume

Customer :

I will do the download, try the uninstall and the new install and get back with you.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok, and thank you by the way, for being so diligent in this process. I realize how large FCE is and the length of time it takes to re-install the software

MacTechTrainer :

I will await your next update.

Customer :

Did not work. Still quits at start up.

Customer :

Must leave for a while. might not read response until several hours from now.

Customer :

I have purchased Final Cut Express 4. This will be a new install. I will be able to open my old projects created in 3.5.

Customer :

Thank you for your suggestions and your attempts to help.

Customer :

Unfortunately, your suggestions did not help so I can not rate you as an okay service or higher.