Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am editing a number of different video clips together using

I am editing a number of different video clips together using Final Cut Pro 7. Unfortunately it appears that the settings (accessed via Sequence) in one of the clips is completely different from that of the others and the image is consequently distorted.

I have tried opening the offending clip as a new project and change it manually to the settings for the other clips but obviously this is not the way to do it because it still distorts.

Can you advise how I can combine these different clips.
I would use Compressor to change the clip to the same format as the others first then import it again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will try and let you know. Thanks
OK let me know if you need help with that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK....had a go but don't know enough about Final Cut.

The settings that are different in FTP are these:

Offending clip...

Frame size: 720x480 NTSC/DV (3:2)

Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 601 DV (720X480)

Field Dominance: Lower even

Compressor: DV/DVC PRO NTSC

Frame size: 768x576 CCIR 601 PAL Sq. (4:3)

Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square

Field Dominance: None

Compressor: H.264

How big is the clip do you want to just send it to me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A bit more information. The main clip itself is pretty big (1hour) and all I wanted was about 50 seconds so I have edited this in FCP with the idea of exporting it and then including this within the video I am trying to create.

At the moment this edited clip is sitting in FCP waiting to be exported/compressed in preparation for insertion.

So in order to send it over (thanks for the offer) I would need to first export it.

Ideally I would like to compress this clip it in the desired format from the edited version I have just completed. It sounds complicated

Go here and download the standards conversion filter:

then follow the directions here:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems that its going to cost $100 in order to get the un-watermarked version. I understand where they are coming from, but for the 30 second clip I need, and bearing in mind I am unlikely to need this again I wonder if there is an alternative way.

Don't intend to sound mean about this.

Oh sorry I thought that was a free filter. You can try the free Handbrake software in that case:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Getting closer...thanks. Do you happen know if this also does NTSC to PAL. It seems from the blurb to be PAL to NTSC.

Yes you can go either way
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brilliant. Will give it a go.

OK let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Success. A bit of a fiddle but it worked like a charm.

Thank you