Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software

Lost all my contacts trying to sync address book. I have iCloud,

Lost all my contacts trying to sync address book. I have iCloud, but they seem to be deleted in iCloud as well. Will they be backed up on my iMac somewhere?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

can you let me know where the contacts were stored initially?

Steve Herrod :

just the Apple address book, or Outlook for example?

Steve Herrod :

Also - what version of OSX is installed on your laptop?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Hi Steve, contacts were initially in my address book and on my iPhone 4s. My address book and phone were syncing and iCloud was syncing. I'm running Entourage and I asked my computer guy to please help me sync my address book with entourage as my contact details were not appearing in entourage address book. Poof, he did something and now they are all gone! I'm running OSX 10.7.5 on my iMac.

Steve Herrod :

Thanks - do you know what version of Entourage it is?

Customer:

Yes, version 12.0.0 (2008) Thanks

Steve Herrod :

thanks

Steve Herrod :

if you login to icloud.com

Steve Herrod :

are any contacts there at all?

Customer:

No Steve

Steve Herrod :

ok... is Time Machine enabled on the Mac?

Customer:

To be honest, I have never used time machine and no ,it is not enabled.

Steve Herrod :

ok, the only thing I can think of would be to check if there was a backup of the iPhone

Steve Herrod :

via iTunes

Customer:

Where do I look for that/

Steve Herrod :

every time the iPhone is connected and syncs it should also take a backup

Steve Herrod :

so once the iPhone is connected

Steve Herrod :

in iTunes there should be a restore button

Steve Herrod :

something like this

Steve Herrod :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Having a look

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

Where it says manually back up your phone on this computer or restore a backup stored on this computer??!!

Steve Herrod :

yes, you can choose restore a backup

Steve Herrod :

and that should let you choose a date/time of an iPhone backup

Steve Herrod :

which should hopefully restore contacts to the iPhone

Steve Herrod :

which will then sync back to iCloud etc

Customer:

I'll quickly have a go. Thanks

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

Their was obviously no backup done because the option I'm selecting is not highlighted and not responding. The image you sent earlier for me to look in iTunes, I can't enlarge it, it's just too small to read.

Steve Herrod :

Ok - these are the steps, usually a backup is taken automatically each time the phone is synced

Steve Herrod :

To restore from a backup, right click on your iPhone under Devices in iTunes and click Restore from Backup. You can then choose which iPhone backup you want to restore from.

Customer:

Living in the rural areas certainly has it's disadvantages. Sorry my broadband connection has gone off, I never meant to disconnect you.

Steve Herrod :

that's ok

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

Steve where do I go in itunes to restore?

Steve Herrod :

with the iPhone connected

Steve Herrod :

it should appear on the left hand side of iTunes

Customer:

Yes

Steve Herrod :

if so, right-click on it

Steve Herrod :

and choose 'Restore from Backup'

Customer:

Right click on what

Steve Herrod :

on the iPhone

Customer:

ok

Steve Herrod :

does restore from backup come up?

Customer:

nothing happening, do you mean restore iPhone?

Steve Herrod :

yes - has that come up?

Customer:

next to the picture of the iPhone one has an option to check for updates or restore iPhone

Steve Herrod :

that is usually the restore option for resetting it back to factory settings

Steve Herrod :

let me see if I can find a better image

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

Full Size Image

Steve Herrod :

if you click on that image it should show up full screen

Customer:

On the left hand side I have no devices, I just have Library with music,apps ect

Steve Herrod :

Ok - I'm going to need to check if there is any other way to restore from backup

Customer:

Thanks

Steve Herrod :

best instructions are on this Apple article

Steve Herrod :

if you choose the 'iTunes - how to restore from a backup' article

Steve Herrod :

and it should walk through with screenshots/options etc

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a go and if I don't come right I'll come back to you.

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

am teaching for an hour or so this afternoon but will check back as soon as I can

Customer:

Thanks

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Customer:

Hi Steve, just want to know how come there is nothing in my iCloud as the phone automatically backs up every 24 hours or when one syncs your phone. I checked my iCloud account and their is nothing in there because I have 5 GB of storage, which is maximum! Looks like I can kiss my contacts goodbye?!? Thanks Martin

Steve Herrod :

Hi Martin

Steve Herrod :

iCloud doesn't keep a running backup unfortunately

Steve Herrod :

and depending on how the settings were changed with Entourage etc it may just have overwritten them completely

Steve Herrod :

Was there any joy with iTunes?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Hi Steve

Customer:

No , no joy with itunes, but I'll keep on trying as there were years of contacts. Thanks for your support.

Customer:

Cheers Martin

Steve Herrod :

no problem

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software