Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard. I have a persistent

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard. I have a persistent kernel panic message that will not allow me to boot up. I've tried the SafeBoot (holding down the shift key and starting up), but it still gives me the kernel panic message.

Though I'd reinstall Snow Leopard.

I tried putting in the SL DVD and starting up holding down the C key ---- I hear the optical drive and the screen lights up and shows the Apple logo, but then it goes no further and I can not hear the optical drive any more. I've also started up the Snow Leopard DVD by holding down the Option key and selecting the DVD. Upon double clicking on the SL DVD icon it starts to boot but then stops when the apple logo appears and will go no further. Same problem with starting from holding down the C key.

I don't have a disk utility CD or DVD to try. What's next?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi Richard,

Steve Herrod :

I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

I can see you've already tried a lot of things so what I would suggest next would be to try either PRAM and the SMC units on the Macbook Pro

Steve Herrod :

does your model have a removable battery?

Customer:

Steve,

Customer:

Steve

Customer:

It does not have a removable battery.

Customer:

I've tried clearing the PRAM and did. Nothing changed.

Steve Herrod :

ok - and did you also try the SMC reset as well?

Customer:

No, I don't know how and am afraid to leave this page to look it up.

Steve Herrod :

that's ok - this is the procedure to follow

Steve Herrod :

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Steve Herrod :

and we can see if that makes any difference

Customer:

Still get the kernel panic. Nothing changed. Tried it twice.

Steve Herrod :

thanks - that is very odd

Steve Herrod :

can you see if booting from the DVD is any different at all now?

Customer:

OK - hang on

Steve Herrod :

sure

Customer:

Well, it goes as far as lighting up the screen and I see the Apple logo. Then the OD stops spinning (can't hear it) and nothing more happens.

Steve Herrod :

hmmm, ok

Steve Herrod :

can I get the serial number of the Macbook?

Customer:

W802847GAG2

Steve Herrod :

thanks

Customer:

sorry for the delay - very small print

Steve Herrod :

no problem - understood!

Steve Herrod :

can you try starting up the Macbook while holding down the D key?

Steve Herrod :

this should run some internal diagnostics

Customer:

will do

Steve Herrod :

thanks

Customer:

testing now

Customer:

it has moved on to testing the memory

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

still testing

Steve Herrod :

no problem - can take several minutes

Customer:

No trouble found - message. Do you want to go forward with the extended testing mode?

Steve Herrod :

yes - let's do that to rule anything out on that side

Steve Herrod :

I'll be online while it's running anyway

Customer:

OK - this evidently takes more time 3 plus minutes if one can believe any Apple time message

Steve Herrod :

they often seem to run in their very own time...

Customer:

While the extended test is running do you have any idea why the OD begins running the OS 6.0 DVD but then cuts out after the logo shows?

Steve Herrod :

I'm guessing it is due to some problem with the installer trying to read info from the hard drive but it's a strange one

Steve Herrod :

usually, should boot off the DVD ok and allow a reinstall or Disk Utility without too much problem

Customer:

While this extended testing is running I'll give you some information that may or may not apply. Just before I began getting the kernel panic messages I was running Onyx to clean things up a bit. When it stopped running it gave me a message that said that I should reinstall the OS system - something was wrong with it. I ignored that message, cleared Onyx and turned the program and the computer off. Next time I turned it on, presto --- the kernel panic messages began.

Steve Herrod :

ok - well in theory that is promising as it should just be OS corruption we are dealing with

Customer:

The other bit of information that I don't think would pertain but perhaps. The Snow Leopard DVD I have is a "Family Pac" with 5 down loads. I have used at least two of those (marked on the package) - so I don't think that is an issue.

Customer:

This advanced testing looks like it will take much more time. Is there anything else to try - we could come back to it.

Steve Herrod :

no, that shouldn't be an issue

Steve Herrod :

we should at least be able to load the installer

Steve Herrod :

if you hold the option key down at bootup

Steve Herrod :

does it show an OSX volume as available?

Customer:

Yes, holding the Option key down gives one the hard disk or OSX DVD as options.

Customer:

Both icons for the HD and the DVD show on the screen.

Steve Herrod :

ok - so it is picking up the Hard Drive as an active volume

Customer:

Extended testing of the hardware is almost done.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

pretty sure it's not hardware related

Customer:

You are correct - the extended hardware test found no problems.

Steve Herrod :

ok - one thought that has occurred could be to do with the Snow Leopard version

Customer:

I restarted from the test program - same kernel message

Steve Herrod :

ok - there seems to be a known Apple issue which am wondering if it applies in this case

Customer:

I have the dust cover for the SL disk, how do we tell what version it is?

Steve Herrod :

according to them any Macbook Pro bought in 2010 will not boot with any retail version of Snow Leopard that has the 10.6.3 system

Steve Herrod :

it should normally be stamped on the disc but may just say SL

Customer:

I don't know how to get the disk out of the machine. Is there a key stroke method?

Steve Herrod :

if eject isn't working, you can restart with command, option, o and f keys pressed

Steve Herrod :

this should give you a text prompt

Steve Herrod :

and typing eject cd

Steve Herrod :

should eject the disc

Customer:

ON the dust jacket it says Mac OS X V10.6 Family Pac - but I should get a look

Customer:

tried the command, option, o and f keys down and restarted - tried it twice - nothing but the kernel panic message comes up disc remains inside

Steve Herrod :

ok, so you might need to use the paper clip method....

Steve Herrod :

if you have one spare?

Customer:

yes, I will try - an old method indeed

Steve Herrod :

tried and tested :)

Customer:

there doesn't seem to be any pin hole next to the disc insert like on old macs

Customer:

nope can't find a way to release the disc

Steve Herrod :

ok - trying a few variants here...

Customer:

The family pack has this ID MC224Z/A if that's any help

Steve Herrod :

ok - seeing if that lists any details

Customer:

Am reading the messages with the kernel panic - it says that the model name is Mac

Steve Herrod :

ok - the family pack only seems to list 10.6

Steve Herrod :

not if it is a particular revision

Steve Herrod :

can you try restarting the Mac while holding down the trackpad button

Steve Herrod :

and seeing if that ejects the disc?

Customer:

Will do.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Steve Herrod :

also - just wondering, do you have another Mac and a firewire cable to join the two together?

Customer:

yes that worked the disc is out and it says that it is version 10.6 only

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

I think so, but I'll look for the thunderbolt adapter because the power book has no fire wire port

Steve Herrod :

ah ok

Steve Herrod :

according to the Apple details, the Macbook Pro will only boot from a Snow Leopard DVD with the same or later version than the Install/Restore DVD that came with the machine

Steve Herrod :

what I was thinking would be to try using Target Disk Mode

Steve Herrod :

and installing in that way

Customer:

OK - I am using my old 2004 iMac to communicate and its running on Snow Leopard

Customer:

I have the firewire and the adapter

Customer:

I can turn off the powerbook but what next?

Steve Herrod :

ok - so if you now boot up the Macbook and hold down T

Customer:

with the firewire hooked up to the iMac?

Steve Herrod :

yes, sorry

Steve Herrod :

and then the drive should appear on the iMac

Customer:

OK giving it a try now --- holding down T on the powerbook

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

OK target icon ( I think) is showing on the powerbook

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

now what

Steve Herrod :

and on the iMac desktop, there should be an icon for the Powerbook hard drive?

Customer:

nope - I don't think it will show - can I go into utilities and find a way without turning off Safari or the i Mac?

Steve Herrod :

yes, you should be able to minimize Safari, and then go to Applications-->Utilities-->Disk Utility

Steve Herrod :

and see if the Powerbook drive is shown there?

Customer:

yes it is showing the powerbook HD

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

do I use "Restore"

Customer:

OK use Restore?

Steve Herrod :

or you could try verify and repair first to see if that gets it working

Customer:

Ok I'll try repair - here goes

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

it is repairing disc permissions now

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

While it is repairing disc permissions I put the Snow Leopard DVD in the i Mac and it shows well and looks like it is functional. If the permission repairs don't do the trick can we reinstall the Powerbook's OS through the firewire connection without losing the files that are on the Powerbook?

Steve Herrod :

yes, we should be able to do something via target disk mode

Steve Herrod :

after the repair of permissions, the next step would be to try a repair of the disk

Customer:

OK repair of permissions done, now what? Should I try and restart the Powerbook again?

Steve Herrod :

yes, try and restart the Powerbook

Steve Herrod :

if it is still panicking

Steve Herrod :

then restart it in target mode

Steve Herrod :

and we'll do a repair disk

Customer:

Ok it was still in panic mode - I restarted in target mode - now how to "repair"?

Steve Herrod :

in Disk Utility

Steve Herrod :

you should have a repair disk function

Steve Herrod :

like this

Steve Herrod :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Mine says

Customer:

First Aid --- Erase --- Partition -- RAID --Restore

Customer:

what to use?

Steve Herrod :

ok, First Aid tab

Steve Herrod :

towards bottom right should be Verify Disk

Steve Herrod :

and Repair Disk

Customer:

OK then the repair Disk at the lower right hand corner?

Steve Herrod :

yes

Customer:

starting now

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

OK it says it is repaired. I'll restart it and see if it works.

Steve Herrod :

ok

Customer:

Sorry - still in panic mode. What's next?

Steve Herrod :

ok, now we can look at running a reinstall while keeping the data

Steve Herrod :

just working out the best process

Customer:

ok I am here

Steve Herrod :

so the iMac would be booted into target disk mode

Steve Herrod :

ok - for this to work will need the machines to be switched round

Steve Herrod :

and then boot the Powerbook with the Option key and select the iMac with the snow leopard DVD inserted

Steve Herrod :

this hsould then try running the installer that way

Customer:

OK but that means that I should turn off the Powerbook and the iMac and restart the iMac with the T pressed down? Then restart the Powerbook with the Option key pressed down and select the i Mac and the SL DVD? Then run the installer.

Customer:

If I do this I will lose my Safari thread with you.

Steve Herrod :

yes, that's the process - if you bookmark this page in Safari

Customer:

Can you phone me and talk me thought the rest of it?

Steve Herrod :

unfortunately we're not allowed to use phone support

Steve Herrod :

but if you bookmark this page in Safari

Steve Herrod :

or add to favorites

Steve Herrod :

you can come back to the chat

Steve Herrod :

I won't be going offline

Steve Herrod :

for at least another hour

Customer:

OK I will book mark it and let you know later - should make it in an hour. I am printing out our dialog now - it is a bit much for a 70 year old to remember. This is a far cry from my Apple II e of 1978.

Steve Herrod :

well, it's not a straightforward issue but we've ruled out a few things so far

Customer:

Well, when I attempted to try and install OS 10.6 from my iMac to the macbook pro I got a message saying that I could not install that program on the macbook pro. So I tried a custom install option - it went somewhere and was installed. However when I turned off the Macbook pro using the desktop method and then later turned it back on ----- the kernel panic was still there.

Customer:

Discouraging. I'm out of options just now. Perhaps I will take it to the Apple Store in Glendale, AZ - its the closest.

Customer:

Can not figure out why the reinstall failed to work.

Steve Herrod : It is an odd one. I think it will need someone to look at it directly now
Customer:

Thanks Steve - we gave it the old college try.

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software