I'll be happy to help with this issue
I can see you've already tried a lot of things so what I would suggest next would be to try either PRAM and the SMC units on the Macbook Pro
does your model have a removable battery?
It does not have a removable battery.
I've tried clearing the PRAM and did. Nothing changed.
ok - and did you also try the SMC reset as well?
No, I don't know how and am afraid to leave this page to look it up.
that's ok - this is the procedure to follow
and we can see if that makes any difference
Still get the kernel panic. Nothing changed. Tried it twice.
thanks - that is very odd
can you see if booting from the DVD is any different at all now?
OK - hang on
Well, it goes as far as lighting up the screen and I see the Apple logo. Then the OD stops spinning (can't hear it) and nothing more happens.
can I get the serial number of the Macbook?
sorry for the delay - very small print
no problem - understood!
can you try starting up the Macbook while holding down the D key?
this should run some internal diagnostics
it has moved on to testing the memory
no problem - can take several minutes
No trouble found - message. Do you want to go forward with the extended testing mode?
yes - let's do that to rule anything out on that side
I'll be online while it's running anyway
OK - this evidently takes more time 3 plus minutes if one can believe any Apple time message
they often seem to run in their very own time...
While the extended test is running do you have any idea why the OD begins running the OS 6.0 DVD but then cuts out after the logo shows?
I'm guessing it is due to some problem with the installer trying to read info from the hard drive but it's a strange one
usually, should boot off the DVD ok and allow a reinstall or Disk Utility without too much problem
While this extended testing is running I'll give you some information that may or may not apply. Just before I began getting the kernel panic messages I was running Onyx to clean things up a bit. When it stopped running it gave me a message that said that I should reinstall the OS system - something was wrong with it. I ignored that message, cleared Onyx and turned the program and the computer off. Next time I turned it on, presto --- the kernel panic messages began.
ok - well in theory that is promising as it should just be OS corruption we are dealing with
The other bit of information that I don't think would pertain but perhaps. The Snow Leopard DVD I have is a "Family Pac" with 5 down loads. I have used at least two of those (marked on the package) - so I don't think that is an issue.
This advanced testing looks like it will take much more time. Is there anything else to try - we could come back to it.
no, that shouldn't be an issue
we should at least be able to load the installer
if you hold the option key down at bootup
does it show an OSX volume as available?
Yes, holding the Option key down gives one the hard disk or OSX DVD as options.
Both icons for the HD and the DVD show on the screen.
ok - so it is picking up the Hard Drive as an active volume
Extended testing of the hardware is almost done.
pretty sure it's not hardware related
You are correct - the extended hardware test found no problems.
ok - one thought that has occurred could be to do with the Snow Leopard version
I restarted from the test program - same kernel message
ok - there seems to be a known Apple issue which am wondering if it applies in this case
I have the dust cover for the SL disk, how do we tell what version it is?
according to them any Macbook Pro bought in 2010 will not boot with any retail version of Snow Leopard that has the 10.6.3 system
it should normally be stamped on the disc but may just say SL
I don't know how to get the disk out of the machine. Is there a key stroke method?
if eject isn't working, you can restart with command, option, o and f keys pressed
this should give you a text prompt
and typing eject cd
should eject the disc
ON the dust jacket it says Mac OS X V10.6 Family Pac - but I should get a look
tried the command, option, o and f keys down and restarted - tried it twice - nothing but the kernel panic message comes up disc remains inside
ok, so you might need to use the paper clip method....
if you have one spare?
yes, I will try - an old method indeed
tried and tested :)
there doesn't seem to be any pin hole next to the disc insert like on old macs
nope can't find a way to release the disc
ok - trying a few variants here...
The family pack has this ID MC224Z/A if that's any help
ok - seeing if that lists any details
Am reading the messages with the kernel panic - it says that the model name is Mac
ok - the family pack only seems to list 10.6
not if it is a particular revision
can you try restarting the Mac while holding down the trackpad button
and seeing if that ejects the disc?
also - just wondering, do you have another Mac and a firewire cable to join the two together?
yes that worked the disc is out and it says that it is version 10.6 only
I think so, but I'll look for the thunderbolt adapter because the power book has no fire wire port
according to the Apple details, the Macbook Pro will only boot from a Snow Leopard DVD with the same or later version than the Install/Restore DVD that came with the machine
what I was thinking would be to try using Target Disk Mode
and installing in that way
OK - I am using my old 2004 iMac to communicate and its running on Snow Leopard
I have the firewire and the adapter
I can turn off the powerbook but what next?
ok - so if you now boot up the Macbook and hold down T
with the firewire hooked up to the iMac?
and then the drive should appear on the iMac
OK giving it a try now --- holding down T on the powerbook
OK target icon ( I think) is showing on the powerbook
and on the iMac desktop, there should be an icon for the Powerbook hard drive?
nope - I don't think it will show - can I go into utilities and find a way without turning off Safari or the i Mac?
yes, you should be able to minimize Safari, and then go to Applications-->Utilities-->Disk Utility
and see if the Powerbook drive is shown there?
yes it is showing the powerbook HD
do I use "Restore"
OK use Restore?
or you could try verify and repair first to see if that gets it working
Ok I'll try repair - here goes
it is repairing disc permissions now
While it is repairing disc permissions I put the Snow Leopard DVD in the i Mac and it shows well and looks like it is functional. If the permission repairs don't do the trick can we reinstall the Powerbook's OS through the firewire connection without losing the files that are on the Powerbook?
yes, we should be able to do something via target disk mode
after the repair of permissions, the next step would be to try a repair of the disk
OK repair of permissions done, now what? Should I try and restart the Powerbook again?
yes, try and restart the Powerbook
if it is still panicking
then restart it in target mode
and we'll do a repair disk
Ok it was still in panic mode - I restarted in target mode - now how to "repair"?
in Disk Utility
you should have a repair disk function
First Aid --- Erase --- Partition -- RAID --Restore
what to use?
ok, First Aid tab
towards bottom right should be Verify Disk
and Repair Disk
OK then the repair Disk at the lower right hand corner?
OK it says it is repaired. I'll restart it and see if it works.
Sorry - still in panic mode. What's next?
ok, now we can look at running a reinstall while keeping the data
just working out the best process
ok I am here
so the iMac would be booted into target disk mode
ok - for this to work will need the machines to be switched round
and then boot the Powerbook with the Option key and select the iMac with the snow leopard DVD inserted
this hsould then try running the installer that way
OK but that means that I should turn off the Powerbook and the iMac and restart the iMac with the T pressed down? Then restart the Powerbook with the Option key pressed down and select the i Mac and the SL DVD? Then run the installer.
If I do this I will lose my Safari thread with you.
yes, that's the process - if you bookmark this page in Safari
Can you phone me and talk me thought the rest of it?
unfortunately we're not allowed to use phone support
but if you bookmark this page in Safari
or add to favorites
you can come back to the chat
I won't be going offline
for at least another hour
OK I will book mark it and let you know later - should make it in an hour. I am printing out our dialog now - it is a bit much for a 70 year old to remember. This is a far cry from my Apple II e of 1978.
well, it's not a straightforward issue but we've ruled out a few things so far
Well, when I attempted to try and install OS 10.6 from my iMac to the macbook pro I got a message saying that I could not install that program on the macbook pro. So I tried a custom install option - it went somewhere and was installed. However when I turned off the Macbook pro using the desktop method and then later turned it back on ----- the kernel panic was still there.
Discouraging. I'm out of options just now. Perhaps I will take it to the Apple Store in Glendale, AZ - its the closest.
Can not figure out why the reinstall failed to work.
Thanks Steve - we gave it the old college try.