sebmag
sebmag, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I am a passionate Apple enthusiast and Technician with over five years of professional experience
72879199

I have an iMac with 10.6.8 OS. When I burn a cd from Waveburner

I have an iMac with 10.6.8 OS. When I burn a cd from Waveburner or Roxio Toast the audio on the cd comes out fine but the track names seem to never be there. All I get is "Track 01, Track 02," etc. If I load a commercial cd into my Mac it reads the track names ok. I have also taken the cd's I burn on my Mac to other cd players around the house and they also do not read the track names.
I have open the terminal tab and found that the track names are XXXXX XXXXX the discs but they can't be read by my Mac or other cd players. I just purchased a disc publisher that connects by USB to my Mac. When I burn a disc on the disc publisher from a disc in my Mac I have the same problem. The track names don't show up on the disc.
My optical drive is the Pioneer DVD RW DVRTS09 and it is supposed to support burning CD-R and CD-RW.
thanks,
Michael
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

What are you using to view/listen to the disc? The CD Text is likely being burned to the disc (as you said you verified with Terminal) but whatever you are using it in is not reading it.

BeBoo :

When you use an audio disc in iTunes, for instance, it will contact an outside source to query for the track titles. iTunes does not read CD Text and most audio programs on the computer do not as well. They all use third party identification services.

BeBoo :

If you were to stick the disc in a car stereo, for instance, it should show the CD Text properly.

Customer:

The cd text is not readable on any of the cd players we put it in, although other cd's are readable.

Customer:

For instance we put the cd in our dvd player and it will play the cd but not read the track names. Any other commercial cd's we put in the machine will have their track names read.

Customer:

Our Volkswagen New Beetle has a state of the art cd player and when we put the cd's in it it will not read the track names. When we put the cd in our other two computers, one a MacBookPro and a PC neither computer will read the track names although they will read commercial cd track names.

Customer:

I have also burned the cd to my disc printer and when I insert it in any cd players they do not read the track titles. There is nothing wrong with the disc printer. When I burn a commercial cd from my Mac to the disc printer the track titles are there when you put the burned disc into any cd player we have in the house.

Expert:  sebmag replied 1 year ago.
iTunes doesn't read CD Text, it uses Gracenote.

There is an apple script here that might be able to read the CD Text and fill it out in iTunes for you: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=cdtexttocdinfo

Once you have the info in iTunes then you need to do Advanced->Submit CD Track Names... to upload the track listing to Gracenote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not that concerned about being able to read the track names in my Mac. What bothers me is that the track names don't come up in other players, in fact don't come up in any players we put the disc in. What is there about the commercially made discs that make them easy to read on players that will read cd track names and why don't my cd burner(s) prepare the disc and burn it so the track names can be read by those players that support that feature. You would expect that some players would be able to read that info on the discs that I burn.

Expert:  sebmag replied 1 year ago.
The functionality you're talking about is called "CD-Text", within Waveburner. You can control the information that gets burned to a track on the lower left hand side of the screen, next to the "Inspector" tab.

The tricky part here is that some burners are able to burn CD-Text, and others are not able. The good news here, however, is that Waveburner will let you know if your optical drive is capable of writing CD-Text information.

When you choose Burn Disc from the "Burn" menu, a window pops up in the center of the Waveburner window that shows a bunch of information: "CD TEXT", "ISRC", "Indexes", etc. This is where you may see if your hardware is capable of writing this information. If your disc drive is indeed capable, you must individually select each track, and then use the "CD-Text" tab on the lower left to modify the output information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks. That should do it.

Michael

Expert:  sebmag replied 1 year ago.
Did that work for you, Michael? Might I request you accept my answer, if you're happy with it? Thanks!
sebmag, Mac Software Engineer
Experience: I am a passionate Apple enthusiast and Technician with over five years of professional experience