R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin

Hello I have an imac with OS x 10.6.8 with a firewire800 port.

Hello
I have an imac with OS x 10.6.8 with a firewire800 port. I bought the Imac in May 2010. I've recently bought a presonus firebox. this works on my mates Imac, and a dell laptop, but not on my Imac. I've tried setting the smc and the p-ram and it still doesnt work. The firebox light goes blue to start with then a few seconds later turns red. The imac does not recognise it. If the firewire port is duff its over £500 to repair as its connected to the motherboard.

Any other tests I could run ?

Thanks
Chris
Category: Mac
Expert:  R.A. McConnell replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be happy to help you with this.

The other tests that you could run would involve trying a different FireWire device on your iMac, preferably a hard disk drive. If that drive also does not work, then your FireWire port has failed. Be sure that the drive has been set up to work with OS X, or that it is blank, but otherwise viewable in Disk Utility (Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility), in the left-hand part of the window. If the drive hasn't been set up for use on a Mac, it may show up there, but not on the desktop.

Other than that, you could try to start your iMac in target disk mode. You can enter FireWire Target Disk Mode by pressing and holding the T key on your keyboard immediately after pressing the power button to turn your Mac on. Keep the T key down until the FireWire Target Disk Mode icon appears on the screen. From there you should be able to connect your iMac to another Mac, and your iMac's hard drive should show up on the other Mac's desktop. This might require that you take your iMac somewhere else, or have a friend or relative bring a Mac over to your place. It could be tested at a repair shop as well, this way.

It's possible that your FireWire port has failed, which is the thing that none of us wants, but these tests will tell you if that's the case.

If you would like clarification on any of these points, more depth in my answer, or if you have additional questions with regard to this matter, please don't hesitate to ask for more information by responding to me here and I'll be happy to continue to lend a hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks. I'm not able to take it soemwhere else at the moment, and its really disappointing if the firewire port has failed. this is the first time I've ever used it and as the imac has sat still since i bought it it may be that it bever worked.

Are there no other things I can do to try and get it to works ? Do you know why the firebox light goes form blue then to red ? Does it recognise it first then not ?

I dont have any other fire wire gadgets that I could connect

Since the FireBox isn't a drive, it's harder to say. The user manual indicates (on page 17) that the light is red when it isn't getting good sync. You might make sure that you download and install the Mac installer. It's available here:

http://www.presonus.com/products/FireBox/downloads

Without another device to test with, really all that you can do is try the installer, or a different FireWire port (if your iMac has one). You might also consider using a different FireWire cable, as they sometimes go bad (although this is unlikely to fix the problem, it's relatively inexpensive to try and could even be borrowed from someone or somewhere else). I would also suspect that the FireBox will show a red light if the installer hasn't been run yet.

You might also might try using it with and without the 12VDC power adapter. The manual indicates that the FireBox should be able to be powered off of the FireWire port, but if it doesn't work like that, you might try using the 12VDC power adapter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your help....although I'm not holding my breath !!

All the best

Chris

To you as well. If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask and I'll be happy to continue to lend a hand.
R.A. McConnell, Mac Support Tech
Experience: A-Plus, MCP, 18+ years experience, LINUX admin