Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

OK - this one is going to be a challenge for whomever this

OK - this one is going to be a challenge for whomever this gets assigned to, so be warned. It's a networking/workflow/software question. Here goes:
I have a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion, a scansnap 21500M, Devonthink Pro Office and OmniFocus. I am about to scan a ton of statements, receipts and mail going back many years. There is a tax audit coming my way. And I am, in a larger, broader sense, trying to get my act together.
Forgetting about the tax audit for a moment, my question is: how do I set integrate Devonthink & Omnifocus so that while I am scanning this mountain of paper behind me I also create a GTD styled workflow moving forward? In a perfect world, I would like to have Devonthink and Omnifocus synchronized so that at the same time I am digitizing information, I am also creating Projects in Omnifocus. So, for instance, let's say I scan an overdue bill from an emergency room visit a couple of years ago. How do I set up Devonthink so that it a) is accessible for the pending tax audit b)gets integrated into a project in Omnifocus called "Taxes" and c) creates a "to-do" in Omnifocus, i.e. "pay bills. I know it can be done, that's why I purchased the Scansnap & Devonthink & Omnifocus, but it involves features of Devonthink & Omnifocus that rely on scripts & templates that are beyond my grasp. Someday, in a perfect world, I want to come home from work, grab my mail, scan the important stuff, and both have it available for my accountant - and be reminded of next steps via Omnifocus should there be any.
I know, it's a lot to ask, but I know it can be done. I just need someone to shjow me how.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, it's certainly an admirable goal - I'll be happy to look into this and work out the best solution

Steve Herrod :

what version of Devonthink and Omnifocus are installed?

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

Devonthink Pro Office 2.4.3.

Customer:

Omnifocus 1.10.4. (v77.70.20)

Steve Herrod : Thank you - will work on that solution for you
Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Basically, this is what I'm shooting for. although instead of "Cultured Code Things", my task manager is OmniFocus. http://lucbeaulieu.com/tag/devonthink/

Steve Herrod :

thanks - will review

Customer:

thanks

Steve Herrod :

no problem - hoping to make some progress on this later today!

Customer:

steve - this was not a fair question, nor do i feel i responded managed this process in a way that was fair to you. I am going to try to close this and give you a tip. but chances are I'll screw that up too. if i do, i'll reach out to customer service and figure out how to compensate you for my mismanaging this and wasting your time.