Brian
Brian, Certified Apple Consultant
Experience:  I've been supporting Mac users and business professionally for 14 years.
34753528

I am consulting with a graphic designer who is more artist

Customer Question

I am consulting with a graphic designer who is more artist and less geek. FYI I am a PC user and not adept in the MAC world. She uses 3 Macs of various vintages and operating systems, and has HUGE files to back up. I am trying to locate an on-line or cloud back-up service that will accept these files and not break the bank. Also idiot-proof would be good, since she has bad technology ju-ju and can cause all kinds of problems just walking by a computer. Not much of a joke, trust me. She has also killed a handful of external hard drives. I really think she will be best off with a cloud based service that backs up on a schedule in the background so she does not have to remember to use it. Can anyone help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.

Brian :

I'm not sure what you mean my HUGE files, but there are many cloud based services. iCloud only provides a limited amount of space for free. Extra storage can be purchased but it gets expensive quickly.

Dropbox is a good, cheap, easy to use option, but doesn't have good support for automated backups.

Another cloud storage solution is Mozy. Mozy is a backup application, so it can be scheduled to backup at certain times, after a certain amount of idle time, or even while the user is working. Mozy is inexpensive. It also provides "versioning", meaning you can restore the most recent backup, or an older version of a file from a previous backup. Dropbox doesn't do this.

https://mozy.com/home/

Brian :

Amazon also offers cloud based storage, which can be used for backups. It's inexpensive, but the backup tools are more difficult to use.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been using Mozy on my own PC for several years and am so far pleased with the service. I will see if I can get her set-up with Mozy. I only asked this question because I thought one of the on-line services might be more MAC-friendly. Thanks for your prompt response.
Expert:  Brian replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome! And thank you!