Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college

Safari will not open on my mac. It starts to open, then i I

Customer Question

Safari will not open on my mac. It starts to open, then i I get an error code that says "Safari failed to open.Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple."
How can I resolve this problem and get safari to run as it should?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? ie. 10.5.6 or 10.7.2

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8.2

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock. Hold down the option key. Click on Go at the very top and Choose Library

Open a folder called Preferences.

Delete the file called com.apple.Safari.plist
Deleting this file resets your default home page when starting Safari.
To reset this, Do the following:
Start Safari
Click Safari in the top left and choose preferences
Click General Tab and type in what you would like your default home page to be next to Home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tom, I deleted the plist and attempted to open Safari to do the next step, but it still didn't open.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Please repair permissions:

Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock.
Click Go all the way at the Top and Choose Utilities
Open Disk Utility
Select your startup disk on the left of the Disk Utility window
Select First Aid from the tabs
Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button

Try Safari. If it does not work, please proceed.

Please bookmark this webpage.

Try starting your computer using safe boot. This performs some system maintenance.

To perform a safe boot do the following:

• Be sure the computer is shut down.
• Press the power button.
• Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.
• Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
• Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Try Safari while booted into Safe Boot. Restart and try it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The 'repair disk' didn't solve the problem. I have bookmarked this page and am beginning the next step.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know how you make out with the safe boot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tom, It didn't work in safe mode nor the regular mode after I restarted.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
ok please do the following:

Open the folder called Saved Application State and delete the folder called com.apple.Safari.savedState

Start Safari
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are save state files for several things in that folder, but Safari isn't one of them. So, I couldn't complete the step to delete it.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Do you have another account on this computer and does it happen in that account also?

If you don't have another account, please create one and let me know if it happens in that account as well.. Directions are below for creating another account.

Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen

Choose System Preferences

Click on User and Groups or Accounts

If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.

Click Add (+) and type the user's name.

Change new account type from Standard to Administrator

Type the user's password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify boxes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My son has an account on this mac. So, I tried Safari under his account and it didn't work. I also created a new account and tried it. That didn't work either.

I have to leave my desk for about and hour. I will check in with you for the next step as soon as I get back. I'm wondering if we shouldn't reinstall the program.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience on this one.

Please download the 10.8.2 combo update and install it. This will reinstall the updates to Safari. It is a large download. Let me know how it goes

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a shot when I get back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tom,

I tried to download this update and got the following message:

The following disk images couldn't be opened

OSXUpdCombo10.8.2 Reason not recognized

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let's reinstall instead. Please do the following:

Important: You need to be connected to the Internet to reinstall OS X.
  1. Choose Apple menu > Restart, and then hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys while your Mac restarts.
  2. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  3. Select Reinstall OS X, and then click Continue.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions. In the pane where you select a disk, select your current OS X disk (in most cases, it is the only one available).
  5. To start the installation, click Install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where do I see reinstall OS X

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
After you do the instructions above you should see Reinstall OS X from the menu?

If not, Let me know what you see on the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean the apple menu?

I'll restart again and hold the cmd and r keys down longer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I restarted, held down the cmd and r keys, but don't see anything on the apple menu about reinstalling. I'm connected to the internet.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
ok try this. Restart the computer and hold down the option key. One of the drives that appears should say Recovery HD. Click on that. Let me know if you get the menu now and if not, Let me know what the screen says
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, there is no recovery drive. I have only Macintosh HD and my external backup drive

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
ok. We can recreate that drive but see if you can Please try downloading the update again from the below link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cszin1wm2f8ncy7/OSXUpdCombo10.8.2.pkg.zip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It worked!

Thanks for your help and patience.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Great so Happy it worked. Please come back again. A positive rating is always appreciated.
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tom,

You stuck with me and got the job done over almost three days. You are amazing and I'm giving you the highest rating!

Also, I don't know if you're a football fan, but I'm from Baltimore and the Ravens also just won one of the toughest games in playoff history. So, between that and my computer now working, I'm a very happy man!

Thanks again. How do I find you again if I need any additional help?

Bruce

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
You can request me the next time you ask a question. Go Ravens!