Brian
Brian, Certified Apple Consultant
Experience:  I've been supporting Mac users and business professionally for 14 years.
34753528

Re syncing my macbook address book to my iphone. After upgrading

Re syncing my macbook address book to my iphone.
After upgrading my iphone system, the iphone no longer auto syncs.
I assume this is because of apple's cloud system.
I think I'm an apple cloud member but don't use it presently.
All I want right now is a simple direct sync between my macbook and iphone.
Can you help?

Brian :

You're correct that you can't sync over the air without iCloud. iCloud is free, but if you don't want to set up an account, you can sync over the wire. Connect your iPhone to your Mac and open iTunes (if it doesn't automatically open). Then select your iPhone in the iTunes sidebar. From the "Info" tab near the top of the iTunes window, you can set your iPhone to sync your contacts and/or calendars. Then click "Apply" or "Sync".

It's possible to sync over wifi, and you may see that option in the iTunes settings, but I've had mixed results with it, personally. Syncing over USB is always consistent.

Customer:

Thanks Brian. I must have been banging my head against the wrong wall because I connected my phone as usual and the sync worked without making any changes whatsoever. I have no idea why it would not do so before .... I had tried many, many times. It must have just been a bug in the system. Incidentally, according to the settings you referred me to it did sync over the cloud and there is no checkbox for me to bypass this. Interesting. But, anyway, I'm happy. Please claim the money (hopefully I'll get a receipt by email?) Cheers, Bill.

Brian :

Great! I'm glad it's working for you. I'm unable to claim the payment, though, unless you click the Accept button, thereby accepting the answer. Thank you!