Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Having problem with Final Cut Pro version 7. Am running Lion

Having problem with Final Cut Pro version 7. Am running Lion on the Mac. Whenever I try to review any of the content I am editing I hit the space bar to play and then have to wait for a couple of minutes whilst the software hangs. It eventually clears and I can use it freely, but only for a couple more minutes before the same thing happens again.

I found an article online which suggests deleting the preference files which I have done. It gives a temporary respite but it is only a matter of time before the original problem reappears. This means that editing time is about 5 times longer than it should be

Can you help?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Version 10.8.2

You've already tried resetting preferences. But I want you to try again incase if you missed any steps.

Goto Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and move the file into desktop.

Then on finder, Hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the Final Cut Pro User Data folder. Trash the file also. Then goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk Macintosh HD. Click Verify Disk and then Repair Disk. Click Repair Permission

Try FCP now. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Verify disk has shown that there are some minor repairs to be done.

It said that I should restart holding down the cmd and R keys. Just trying this

Follow the steps below;
  • Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn in back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu. Or restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command + R keys instead of Option key.
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu
  • Select Disk Utility.
  • In Disk Utility, Repair your disk and Repair Permission
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Repairs concluded successfully

FCP appears to be working for the moment...but the problems generally re-emerge after about 30 minutes or so.

Take your time to test it. Let me know if it happens again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're most welcome :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ashik,

I took a little time over this because I want to see whether or not it had regained its stability. It certainly seems to be fine for the moment from the latest editing I have carried out.

Interestingly I went through the same procedure as you suggested with the exception of trashing the whole folder and running disk utilities.

Thanks for your help.

I'm glad to hear that. Let me know if you have any questions

Have a great day,