Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

I upgraded my macbook to lion os 10.7.5 and now I cant open

I upgraded my macbook to lion os 10.7.5 and now I can't open my old apple works files. The response I get is "power pc applications are no longer supported". I understand there is software that will enable me to open these files. The numbers app in lion can open the spread sheet portion of apple works but the data base and word files can't be opened. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

Pages should open the document files

Steve Herrod :

if iWork is installed?

Steve Herrod :

the database is the trickiest of the formats unfortunately

Customer:

I get the same response, power pc apps are no longer supported.

Steve Herrod :

from Pages?

Customer:

I get the same response when I try to open with pages "power pc apps are no longer supported.

Steve Herrod :

ok - what version of Pages is it?

Steve Herrod :

Pages 09 shouldn't have any problems

Steve Herrod :

are the database files in the native Appleworks format or have they been exported in any way?

Customer:

r u there?

Steve Herrod :

yes

Steve Herrod :

did the last messages not come through?

Steve Herrod :

Pages 09 shouldn't have any problems opening AppleWorks document files

Steve Herrod :

what version of Pages is installed?

Steve Herrod :

and the database files - are they in the native Appleworks format or have they been exported in some way?

Hi George,

Apologies - it looks like there was an issue with the chat system not relaying messages.

Pages 09 should open the document files - what version of Pages is currently installed?

As for the database files - these are the most problematic as they normally require some form of export via Appleworks before they can be opened in another application. Are the database files still in a native Appleworks format or have they been exported in some way at all?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My pages is 09 v4.3(1048). One of the files I want opened is a ....wps file. All those documents that can't be opened are shown in faint type.

Hi George,

Thanks - for a WPS file, you should be able to install Libreoffice which is free and can be downloaded from here.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download

Can you give that a try?

cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. libreoffice works very well. Regarding the data base files, they were created from appleworks and were not exported from elsewhere.

Hi George,

I'm glad Libreoffice is working well - for the database files that are native Appleworks files they will need to be opened in a copy of Appleworks directly.

Given this, the options for the database files are:

1) Use an external hard drive (if available) and install OSX Snow Leopard on it, which will then allow you to install Appleworks and export the database files as tab-delimited text files which can be used with other applications such as Bento.

2) Find someone with a copy of Appleworks and access the files on their system and then export etc as necessary.

How many database files are there?

cheers

Steve
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software