Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a MacBook Air bought in late 2012 and a Moshi Mini DisplayPort

I have a MacBook Air bought in late 2012 and a Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. I connected it to my Sony Bravia LCD TV with a 1.4a HDMI cable. The video is fine but I don't have any sound on the TV. When I go into Preferences --> sound --> output and select my SONY TV device I get a message in the window telling me "the selected device has no output controls". Any idea on how I can get sound on the TV?
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

One fix is to run a separate audio cable from the headphone port to the TV, inelegant but effective.
Another is to restart and perform a pram reset, this resets all the USB and outputs on the Mac thus perhaps letting it 'see' the TV.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.
graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dan,

The PRAM reset worked perfectly. Sound is good now.

Thanks a lot.

Brgds,

Gilles

Happy to have been of service. That reset can cure many seemingly bad problems, keep it in mind.
Thanks for the update.