Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

1. I am trying to import video from my Canon Vixia HV40 camcorder,

1. I am trying to import video from my Canon Vixia HV40 camcorder, which uses HD tape, into my iMac OS X Version 10.8.2. iMovie 11 does not recognize the existence of the camcorder when I connect using the USB cable (evidently, there is no standard port to Firewire cable in existence). My sole objective is to be able to import many hours of HD tape into iMovie. It is a vexing problem, which EVERY Apple Store so-called "expert" or "genius" downplays as simple and easily resolved. Makes me really wonder about Apple sales people and tech support. So can you provide technical answers that can enable me to achieve this goal?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Is this is a new Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Just purchased it 3 months ago
You can't download Videos from your Camcorder to your Mac with the USB Cable. That simply won't work with HDV (or DV) Camcorders. You can only transfer photos with the USB Cable from your camcorder to your Mac.

Since it is only 3 Months old, your Mac must have Thunderbolt port. You have to buy the Thunderbolt to Firewire Adaptor and then connect your camcorder with the Firewire cable to your Mac (to Adaptor) and then you can download videos to your Mac.

See here :

That should work. Please let me know if you have any questions. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
l will check to see if that works then check back with you
Ok..Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still not sure I understand why buying a thunderbolt-to-fire wire adaptor will work. Yes, my Mac has a Thunder port, but my Canon Vixia HD40 has the following ports: miniB (with a miniB to USB cable; HDV/DV. So how does a Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor help me? I have no way to connect my camcorder with its ports to either Fireware or Thunderbolt ports on my iMac. And I know of no cable that connects a miniB port to either iMac port. So I'm still confused. Perhaps I am missing something. Could you explain the connection from end (camcorder port) to end (iMac port)? Thanks.

Hi there,
Sorry for the delay. The only way to capture videos to your Mac from your camcorder is with Firewire cable. All you need to buy is Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 Adaptor and a normal Firewire 800 9Pin-4Pin

Most camcorder uses Firewire 4 Pin, so your camcorder must have it too. So buy the Firwirewire 800 9Pin-4Pin. See picture below;

See the picture below, the connection/setup should be like it;
Let know if you still have any confusion.