Lindie-mod
Lindie-mod,

ra:sa

Customer Question

i have Comcast cable modem feeding a TC acting as router. 4 ipads/iphones and a Macbook pro connected wirelessly and all getting good data speed (25 mbps down, 3 up as tested on laptop). Everything was working well for a year plus until two months ago when my Win7 desktop with wired connection to the TC started experiencing slow connection speeds (3mbps down) and frequently times out while browsing. I tested speeds using Speedtest.net and biggest surprise was average ping test was 25ms or higher (used to always be 10ms or less). I googled the issue and found lots of posts about TC throttling speeds of connected devices, but nothing exactly like my setup where the hard wired device has the issue. Note there is a switch between the Win7 desktop and the TC, but I swapped out the Netgear for a Linksys and still having the problem. When I plug the desktop directly into the TC it seems to improve speeds, but still not what it used to be a few months ago. Anyone know if TC needs special setting for this type of setup? Alot of articles out there about issues with Comcast but since mine used to work fine and modem is working fine, problem keeps pointing back to TC. Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Have you updated the TCs software? That is something you did not mention and could be a part of this.
I have an APE dual band connected to a TW cable ISP with a similar configuration.
I would try first checking the software using the Airport Utility found in Utilities.
If there is one it should tell you so, if there is please download and install.

If it does not find one then unplug the TC and reset it that way, if that changes nothing then try restoring to factory settings (take note of any setting you want to reinstate).

You have bypassed the switch and seem to have partially ruled that out but it could be part of the issue.
I would check for new TC software, reset the modem (they can get stuck on stupid), reset the TC and then restore to factory in that order. Try each alone so that what works is known.

Try that and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TC is running 7.6.1 which according to Airport Utility is up to date. I just reset the modem. Next step if I understood is to restore factory settings and i'll do that next (probably tomorrow). Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Brian,
Just make sure you record what you want the TCs setting to be, I did this once and didn't so my network had a different name and password (getting old and forgetful).
Just take it one step at a time (like you were) and it should sort itself out.
The other option could be Comcast, not the first time they have done this.

I suggest resetting the modem before the TC, might save a lot of work.

Please keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I reset the TC and restarted the modem. The wireless network is working well, similar to before. My Win7 desktop was still getting very slow speeds, so I bypassed the Linksys switch and it seems to be working better, although inconsistent (results from speedtest.net net seem to alternate between 25mbps down and 8mbps down). So the switch has been eliminated.

I scheduled Comcast to come out, but seems strange that it would be a modem issue.

The hardwired desktop is Win7 and is connected directly to the TC through some structured cabling. To make sure it wasnt a wire issue, i connected the Macbook Pro to the same cat5 and speed was good, so not a wire issue nor a faulty jack on the back of the TC. Then I connected the Macbook hardwired to the TC using a different jack on the back, and again speed was good. Now i'm wondering if it is an operating system issue with my Win7 desktop since the hardwired Macbook worked fine.

A few weeks ago I tested a Win7 Thinkpad both hardwired and wireless and speed was good. I need to redo that test to see if anything changed since I reset TC factory defaults.

Otherwise, I think i've narrowed the problem to either the TC throttling the Win7 desktop or an issue with the Win7 desktop itself (not sure how to test that).

Any thoughts?

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Since all other devices seem to have no issues with speed or connections I would think it is the Windows machine.
I am not a Windows expert, in fact Windows drives me right up the wall.
What that means is while I can do simple things on Windows this is over my head.
I can pass you to an expert better versed in Windows that may serve you better.
How does that sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That would be great. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Please stand by.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Mac issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie