Expert Scott
Expert Scott, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have 15 plus years of technology experience in government, education, and private sectors.
72192405

I have an iMAC running 10.6.8. Until a couple of days ago

I have an iMAC running 10.6.8. Until a couple of days ago I had no issue printing from it. But right in the middle of a document it stopped printing and now I get the following error: /private/etc/cups/interface/HP_Photosmart_C7200_Series failed.

I have tried disconnecting the printing and rebooting, reloading the printer drivers and software. But nothing seems to help. I tried deleting the printer from Print/Fax area and then add it in again. I had no problem deleting it, but when I tried to add the Printer back in, it sees the C7200 series printer, I select it and then hit the add button, but nothings happens. BTW, I have the printer attached using a USB cable.

So I guess I have 2 issues, how to add the printer back in, and how to fix the error.

Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer/Pearl, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you with your issue today. Please rate my answer at the end of the session.

Please uninstall the hp software by clicking on hp uninstall application inside the application folder hewlett-packard inside applications.

Restart your mac when that is done

Plug the usb cord in and do a software update from the finder.

I will then take you to the download which you need.

This should clear up both your issues at hand.

Please advise when this has been completed

Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike, thanks for the quick reply.

I went into the HP folder in the applications area, but i can't find an uninstaller. I'm seeing an HP Device Manager, HP Photosmart Create, HP Photosmart Print, HP Photosmart Share, HP Photosmart Stitch, HP Photosmart Studio, HP Scan Pro, and HP Software Update. There is also a subfolder called Device Utilities. This contains HP All-in-one Device Chooser, HP Copy, HP Fax Setup Utility, HP Network Settings Utility, HP Registration Assistant, HP Scan Destination, HP Send Fax, and ScanUtility.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Thanks Bill, Could you please open the HP software update and run it for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says my software is up to date.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Thanks very much, just wanted to check that before you nuke your printer from existance :-)

I will need to know shortly which model printer you have.

C7200 is just the series.

Model number will be C7250 or 75 or 80 or 83 or 88

Please follow this document to uninstall all software and drivers HERE

Scroll almost to the bottom for mac 10.6 instructions

Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

LOL..... I have no idea why I keep buying HP printers!!! I'm ready to nuke them all.

It is a C7280.

I follow the document and let you know how I make out.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

HAHAHA I hear ya, they are usually pretty reliable and they all have there glitches from time to time.. Just comfort thoughts hahaha

After you uninstall and then RESTART YOUR MAC

Click here to obtain the full software and drivers package for Mac OSX 10.6

After you click download make sure you open the file to begin installation

1. Click the Download Only button.
  2. When a new pop-up window appears, click on the Save button.
  3. Save the file in a desired location.
  4. At the end of saving the file, go to the folder where the file was saved and launch the file.
  5. Follow any on-screen instructions.

Please dont hook your printer back up until prompted by the installer

Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

OK I followed your steps and uninstalled all drivers and software. I then followed your link and installed latest drivers and software.

Everything went smoothly, but I still cannot add the printer Print & FAX available printers.

I go into the screen to add the printer in, the iMAC see's the printer, I select it to add it in, it goes off for a long time and comes back with a software update. When it get done loading, the printer is still not available.

Very strange that it see's the printer, but just won't add it in as an available printer to use.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

So you made sure you opened the downloads to install the printer? then you followed the prompts to connect it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, in fact it required me to connect the USB cable right away. I had it disconnected at first. When I started the install it said it couldn't find the printer and to check to make sure the cable was connected. Once I connected it, the install continued.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Very odd, have you tried restarting your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ya, unfortunately I rebooted the computer and the pronter. No change.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Expert:  Expert Scott replied 1 year ago.
If you have a spare usb cable, you might want to rule out the existing printer cable as the problem. Let me know if you try that and if it worked or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Scott, tried changing the cable this morning. No luck. I tried rebooting the Mac and the printer. Still cannot get it set as a default printer. The iMac sees the printer, it just won't set it as the default.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Is that the only printer installed on this computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is.
Let me know if you are willing and have time to start a remote support session some time after 6pm EST tonight. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the offer Steve.

Someone gave me this tidbit of info and it resolved my problem.

"

In System Preferences>Fax & Print, Right click or Control+click on the Printers list Sidebar, choose Reset Printing System.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Ok. Glad you got it worked out. Let me know if I can be of additional assistance with anything else.
Expert Scott, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: I have 15 plus years of technology experience in government, education, and private sectors.