Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

my mail icon disappeared from the dock and after restoring

Customer Question

my mail icon disappeared from the dock and after restoring i cannot open a new message screen
In attempting to repair this I reckon I have moved the main file out of its original location

I have restored all my emails and folders but still cannot get a new message screen
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Restart the computer. Move the Mail folder back to Library open Applications and then drag Mail app to the Dock. Try it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didn't work still won't open the new message screen

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2.4Ghz intel core 2 Duo

4Gb 1067 Mhz DDR3

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
System Version please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

version 10.6.8

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK quit Mail go to your Home folder then open Library and Preferences drag com.apple.mail.plist to the trash then try Mail again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it still doesn't work

should i have rebooted after the change?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you move that Mail folder back to your Home / Library?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i now have mail and mail icon and mail downloads in the home library file

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Who is your email provider?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

tiscali

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Is it IMAP account? Do you have web access?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i have web access not sure what imap account is

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to the Apple logo to Software Update
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did this earlier today there are no new updates

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i did this earlier and i am up to date

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
IMAP accounts like gmail or iCloud basically mirrors your Mail program and you should see the same folders, and emails, etc.... If that is the case you can just reset up the account by trashing the Mail folder or you can try restoring that Mail folder from backup again. How did you restore it previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i restored the folder from the terminal application and i have all my emails and all my folders but i cannot use the mail programme to write a new email or to reply to a received email

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You don't have Time Machine? How did you restore from Terminal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i found terminal and a prompt saying restore mailboxes

yes i do have timemachine but it is a last resort to go back to last backup

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what that does... what was the exact terminal command? You need to use Time Machine to Restore your Mail, but try this first:

Select your Inbox and go to Mailbox / Rebuild. Wait a while then try a new message.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You should also do this:

It is posted as an Answer because of site rules but it is really just a diagnostic test.

Open Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities and double click Disk Utility. Highlight your hard drive, usually Macintosh HD, and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Permissions on the left.

Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Why did you rate me Poor Service we are still working on the problem? Did you rebuild the Mailbox?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

doing restore

what happens my account now?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You are Restoring from Time Machine? Did you check the drive first?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No to which question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes from time machine and no to disc check

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You should have checked the drive first. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Good luck