Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

On my i-Mac, Word will not open. Excel works ok

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

What version of Office is this ? What happens when you open Word ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Office v.X student and teacher version 2003

When trying to open Word, the "Word" logo opens and then disappears. The Word program does not open.

Excel works ok

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ? When did this problem started ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Version: Microsoft Office v.X for Mac Student and Teacher Edition (2003?).

Problem started about one week ago

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using (not Office version) ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. That should tell you the version number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mac 10.4.11

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
First we can reset the old preference files of Word.

Goto Macintosh HD/Users/home folder/Library/Preferences/ folder and trash com.Microsoft.word.plist (Don't Empty the trash)

Goto Macintosh HD/Users/home folder/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/ and trash the whole folder Office200x or Office folder (x is the version number)

Also delete the normal template..

Goto Macintosh HD/Users/home folder /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/ and trash "Normal.dotm

Then goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Then Verify Disk and then Repair Disk. Then Repair Permission. Restart Word

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did not work.

I found "com.microsoft.Word.plist" in Macintosh HD subset "Susan" and put that into trash.

On Macintosh HD the Users folder only shows "Shared" and inside that "America Online" "Faxes" and "GarageBand Demo Songs" folders

There is no "home folder" in Macintosh HD

Can you get on my computer remotely online ???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
The instructions received did not work.
Can anyone get at my computer remotely - to check the problem on line?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Open Excel and go to Help / Check for updates. Let me know if there are any updates available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went online for updates - it shows available updates 2004 11.6.0 to 11.6.6

I have Office v.X Mac Student/Teacher edition, 2003

Would the available download work? Which ones should I download? I have an iMac 10.4.11

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You should download whatever it tells you to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

??? I get a message "you have received an answer" (from Mike) but clicking on that gets me nowhere!

What's wrong?

What should I do?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Install whatever the updater tells you to install
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Which of the versions listed should I try to install?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you went to Excel / Help / Check for Updates it should only give you one. Can you give me the website address you are looking at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try starting from the top it won't let you install if you need a different version:

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.6.6 Update >

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I downloaded an update but nothing works.

What's next

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So it installed ok? The 11.6.6 Update?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It downloaded but did not install

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You have to install it of course. .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried to install of course but it did not work

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
What was the error message? You will have to go down the list until you get one that will install, then install the ones you have already downloaded after, unfortunately there is no easier way with Office 2004.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to go now.

How can I get back to you later?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes just bookmark this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still no resolution.

I found "com.microsoft.Word.plist" in Macintosh HD subset "SUSAN" and put that into Trash.

On "Macintosh HD' the "Users" folder only shows:

- Shared

-America Online

- Faxes

- GarageBand Demo Songs

There is no "home folder"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Please see my last reply
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
When you open any folder... on the left you will see an icon that looks like a house that is your "Home" folder and it should be your username. If your username folder is not in Macintosh HD / Users you have serious problems. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you referring to opening the Macintosh HD hard drive icon? There I find a house icon called "Susan" - as I told you earlier, that's where I found "com.microsoft.Word.plist" and put that into Trash.

??? I've never seen an icon that looks like a house when I open any regular folder. When I open any folder, I see the folder, listing what's in it.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok but the folder Susan should be in Users folder not in Macintosh HD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The house icon "Susan" is where it has always been since we got the Mac.

The icons and descriptions on the Macintosh HD folder show: one under the other:

Macintosh HD

Movies

Desktop

Applications

Susan

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to the column on the left? I am referring to your hard drive icon:
graphic

if you open Macintosh HD (above) then you open Users that is where Susan folder should be.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok forget all that for now go to Applications / Microsoft Office 2004 / Additional Tools run Remove Office. Then reinstall from your disk and update as necessary in Word / Help / Check for Updates once installed. Let me know after
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"Applications" lists a Microsoft Office X folder (not 2004). I do not find "Remove Office" (have been looking for just something like that !!!)

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Oh then it is older than the 2004 version sorry you told me it was 2003-4. That is too old there are no updates listed. Do you have the original disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's Word version 10.1.4

I have the original disc "Office:mac student and teacher edition v.X"

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Follow the directions here to uninstall Office then reinstall from disk:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323675
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike: thanks for your advice. Before trying that (disinstalling all of Microsoft and re-installing) I better back up all of my files - in case something crashes - and then clear out most of them. That is taking me a while - as you can tell, I'm no great expert, even though we've had Macs from the MacPlus on up. I'll get back to you as soon as I have results. Repeat question: is there any way you can access, analyze and manipulate my Mac remotely via internet?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No sorry I can't. Let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Removing Office will not remove any of your documents just the Office apps.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for sending me the instructions. Finally figured things out, uninstalled and re-installed all of Microsoft, which now seems to work.

This took a while but I guess at age 85 I've slowed down quite a bit! Will get back to you if any more problems.

Thanks again

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok great!!!

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. Thanks. If not please Reply to Expert and let me know, I am here until we can fix the problem.