Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My Power book Pro (bought in April of last year) is crashing

My Power book Pro (bought in April of last year) is crashing since I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Could the Dell monitor, Model AX510 be the problem? It is a infrequent crash where the screen goes black and can happen any time from when I turn the machine on to 4 hours into working on the machine. I tried it without the mouse and it crashed, so I know it isn't the mouse and I have unplugged the Dell monitor and it hasn't crashed except a weird "little" crash where it did NOT turn off with a black screen and want to restart, but it did say it had crashed. Any help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this:

Resetting the SMC & PRAM on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already done all that, twice.

I was in the genius bar in Seattle before I left town, where they installed it and they asked me to do a "clean" install, as you have suggested. All that has been done.

Could the monitor or mouse make the Mountain Lion crash?

I have also upgraded to CS6 from Adobe.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Go to System Preferences/ Energy Saver and turn off Display sleep just to see if that is the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not talking about the screen connected to the Mac Book Pro, I am talking about the extra screen which is a Dell model AX510. When I had the MBP on and plugged in the screen, it crashed the computer. I think you are telling me to turn off Display Sleep?? I don't understand. Please explain.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes why did you rate me Poor Service I needed to hear what turning off Diplsay sleep did? I understand what you are referring to.... Energy Saver turns off both displays not just the built in one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for your rating, I still don't understand. So you want me to plug in the monitor and then turn off display sleep. I have gone to the preferences and do not see that option in "energy saver" OR "monitor".

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
There are two sliders in Energy Saver one is Computer Sleep the other is Display Sleep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So slide it to NEVER? on the display? Or never on both and then plug in the monitor?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Plug in the monitor then turn Display Sleep to Never. Obviously if the computer goes to sleep the monitor will too but just try that first. See if there is any change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, so I plug in my monitor and it crashes the machine, screen goes black. I let it run through it's opening thing with your machine has been restarted because of a program error, would you like a report sent to Apple, then I say yes and it restarts, as soon as it gets to the point it would start it crashes again. I have looked at the blogs on this monitor, Dell model AX 510 and the compatability with Mountain Lion and it seems that there are problems. I have an adaptor on the monitor that I think is called a VGA adaptor. Could it be that?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You should be using the DVI or HDMI if it has it, those are digital connections VGA could be a problem. I don't see that monitor listed only a soundbar:

Dell - AX510 UltraSharp and Professional Series Flat Panel Stereo SoundBar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, so does that mean I need to buy new monitors for my office in TX AND Seattle?!?

Also, I have found that Powerpoint crashes the computer. When I try and open a powerpoint attachment sent to me in an email, it crashes.

What does that mean? Does it have anything to do with the monitor?

I think I still have the machine on 'mirror monitor".

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I can't find that monitor... does it have a DVI connection?Turn Mirror off they should each haver their own resolution. I doubt the powerpoint problem has anythign to do with that. Save the ppt file to your desktop before trying to open it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how to turn the monitor off. Think that I have to have it plugged in before I can turn it off the mirroring. I don't know how to tell if it is a DVI connection.

When I save the Power Point document to my desktop, it still crashes the computer when I try and open it.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you find the model on their website I don't see it. Can you send me the PPT file:

Go here with any web browser:

http://tinyurl.com/mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel. When it asks for a description put in your justanswer.com or pearl.com username. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
A DVI port looks like this:

graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you send me the file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike,

Thanks for your help. I have made an appointment at the Apple store, three hours away for Monday. I will just take it in and see what they can do. It crashed with the monitor off so it isn't the monitor that is in conflict.

I will pay the $58. but then I don't want to be billed anything else, ok?

I also don't want a membership with just answer.com.

You did great, it is just too complicated for an fairly simple fix.

Thank you very much.

Clare Kittle

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok good luck. I don't know anything about your account though. You can go here for that:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Why did you rate me Poor Service?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

I just got my computer from Apple and they replaced the mother board and it seems to be working fine. The guy in the Apple store said that I should have been redirected to the Apple store when I called as the "code" on all the reports were kernel reports and indicated a hardware, not a software problem.

I appreciate your trying to help me but I had already talked with Apple for many hours and you had offered the first steps of what I did with them initially. Thank you for your help. I had already gone past where you were starting as I had clean installed the operating system, three times (at 7hrs each).

Thank you.

Clare Kittle

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes but you never said there was any "kernel panic". You just said it "crashed", they are two distinct things. I don't think I deserve a bad rating on my record do you?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide OK Rating - or Above. I can request a refund for you either way. Thanks. If not please Reply to Expert and let me know.

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.