Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

Having problem with netfllix and while they asked me to uninstall

Having problem with netfllix and while they asked me to uninstall silverlight, I went to trash the plugins and did not find the folder in my library...is this my problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.

Steve Herrod :

hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue

Steve Herrod :

can you let me know what browser you are using

Steve Herrod :

as Silverlight needs to run via Firefox or Safari on Mac OS

Steve Herrod :

am wondering if that might be related to the issue

Steve Herrod :

can you try Netflix with both Safari and Firefox to see if the issue persists?

Steve Herrod :

Let me know

Steve Herrod :

Cheers

Steve Herrod :

Steve

Customer:

I am using Firefox, am unable to download Safari also at this time, so i am not able to check against each other.

Customer:

Basically, whatever I am downloading says that installation was complete, but I am unable to find it.

Steve Herrod :

ok - is there nothing listed under the Downloads folder for any applications that are downloaded?

Customer:

yes it is there...Silverlight and Safari

Customer:

Why is it not working? What do I do now?

Steve Herrod :

ok - and if you double click Silverlight?

Customer:

it gives me Silverlight.pkg

Steve Herrod :

double-clicking the Silverlight.pkg should run the installation - what does happen?

Customer:

yes.

Customer:

I did installation and it told me completed. but then back to Netflix and it asked me to install again.

Customer:

I also installed Safari but again to icon, no plugins etc.

Steve Herrod :

ok - that is bizarre

Steve Herrod :

can we try a test with a different user account

Steve Herrod :

and see if that works correctly?

Steve Herrod :

as that may indicate where the issue lies

Customer:

i know! this never happened before and i have been using Netflix for while.

Customer:

what do i do?

Customer:

you mean as a guest on computer?

Customer:

baby steps...limited knowledge but quick learner

Steve Herrod :

if you go to Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Users

Steve Herrod :

you should be able to hit the padlock icon to make changes

Steve Herrod :

and then the + button to make changes

Steve Herrod :

and add a new user

Steve Herrod :

call it test or similar

Steve Herrod :

and once created restart

Steve Herrod :

and login as the new user

Steve Herrod :

and try netflix

Steve Herrod :

if that works it would indicate a permissions error on the original account which we can then fix

Customer:

okay, can i easily find you again after I restart?

Steve Herrod :

if you bookmark this page

Steve Herrod :

you can come straight back to the chat

Customer:

you were correct. i can watch instant netflix using the test user.

Steve Herrod :

ok - so that would indicate an issue on this account only

Steve Herrod :

if you go to Applications-->Utilities

Steve Herrod :

there should be Disk Utility

Customer:

yes

Customer:

Disk Utility.app

Steve Herrod :

ok - double-click that and it should open?

Customer:

yes, "select a disk , volume or image"

Customer:

Options: HD and OPTIARC DVD

Steve Herrod :

select the Mac OSX Startup volume

Steve Herrod :

HD

Steve Herrod :

then click the First Aid tab

Customer:

ok

Steve Herrod :

and then choose 'Repair Disk Permissions'

Customer:

ok it is running...it says 19 min.

Steve Herrod :

no problem - can take a while...

Customer:

permissions repair complete

Steve Herrod :

ok, best to restart now

Steve Herrod :

and then see what happens....

Customer:

ok.

Steve Herrod :

fingers crossed....

Customer:

no go. i went into netflix and it asked me to install it again.

Steve Herrod :

ok - has anything else changed, do you have a Safari icon for example?

Customer:

yes i have safari now.

Steve Herrod :

ok, can you try Netflix via Safari?

Customer:

oh, apparently i downloaded the wrong version...what is the correct version to download for MAC OSX?

Steve Herrod :

of sliverlight?

Customer:

no of safari.

Steve Herrod :

this should give you the correct version

Customer:

okay, so apparently my version of OSX 10.6.8 has been creating problems re: downloading Safari...after trying several safari versions, i discovered that I need to download a conversion program of some sorts to get Safari to work....needless to say i am frustrated, and I don't know how long you are online but I wont be able to come back to this until 7:30/8pm now.

Steve Herrod :

ok - I need to go offline shortly due to a family commitment

Steve Herrod :

but hopefully once Safari is installed and working that will allow Silverlight to be rechecked via the Get Silverlight function here

Customer:

ok..enjoy and i will see what i can do in the meantime...

Steve Herrod :

and hopefully that will get Netflix working correctly in this profile too

Customer:

thanks so much!

Steve Herrod :

no problem, you're welcome!

Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software