Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

how to speed up the initial backup? It takes forever, current

how to speed up the initial backup? It takes forever, current estimate is one week for 300 GB
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

That isn't enough info to go on. Let me guess a little and you tell me how close I am.

You are doing a Time Machine backup to a Time Capsule over your network. How am I doing so far?
If that is the case connect via ethernet cable, it will make a big difference.

Fill in some detail and I can flesh that out for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is know to me, the issues is that the time capsule is suppose to work over wifi. not helpful as an answer. I cant believe that Apple has a machine that needs for 300 GB a 7day backup. there must be something wrong with my settings. kind regards C

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Kyle,
It does work over Wi-Fi, the initial back is slow because it is backing up the entire hard drive, everything. It takes a long time, that is why I suggest using an ethernet cable for this. After it gets the first one done it takes very little to back it up as it only backs up new stuff.
There is nothing wrong with your settings.
Did you read all the docs that came with and the supporting website?
This one is of particular interest to you.
That help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, have seen it. I can not connect to the ethernet since I don't have a free IP address from my ISP. would nee to disconnect my windows PC, that why i wanted to have a wifi solution. means, I have to wait or dc my PC.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok, there is info you are not sharing with me.
What do you mean you do not have the Mac connected to your home network?
This is a Time Capsule you are using is it not? How is it connected to the network?
Please start at when you unpacked the Time Capsule from the box, it will go a long ways to getting things working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have my iMac connect to the internet via the time capsule but via wifi since I can only have two ethernet connection via my ISP, once for the router and one for my PC which is not wifi enabled. thats why I stick to the wifi backup.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the PC from the modem and plug it into the Time Capsule. Power down the modem and then power it back up. Now the Time Capsule will function as it should suppling both the PC and the Mac with IP addresses.
Your network is not properly configured, the modem is where the ISP gives you an IP address, from there it goes to the router (Time Capsule) where it is split into as many as needed for your devices.
PC, Mac, iPad/iPod/iPhone or another internet enabled device.
You have one too many routers in the mix.
That will certainly slow things down with them fighting each other.
Do it this way and you will find it makes a big difference.
This will help explain how it all works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on cable. The cable goes directly from the wall to the time capsule and from there one to the of, which I disconnected now and out into the IMac. Still not working, can't find the backup disk now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dc the PC from the Ethernet and used the available IP for the iMac. Then rebooted everything and now connect the iMac and time capsule via Ethernet, backup time now down to 5 hours. Sounds reasonable.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you have it now.
Keep me posted please.
Below may help.
It cannot go direct to the Time Capsule, it does not function as a modem, only the modem can do that.
It goes from the outside to the modem to the time Capsule then to any devices.
Do this. Unplug the modem that the outside cable goose to. Plug an ethernet cable from the modem to the Time Capsule WAN port. Plug the modem back in and let all the pretty lights settle down.
Next the Time Capsule light will turn green, that means all is well.
Run another ethernet cable from the Time Capsule to the iMac, it will self configure.
You may have to start over with a new backup because this one was interrupted.
You will find Time Machine preferences in System Preferences, accessible in the Time Machine drop down menu.
graphic
Select to either use the Time Capsule or to setup Time Capsule for Time Machine.
Once it is setup right it will work.
Once you have a complete backup you can unplug the ethernet cable from the iMac/Time Capsule and it will do it wirelessly.
I know because I do what you are trying to do.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daniel,

There is no modem. The ISP is managing that for the whole building. The cable goes directly from the wall to the time capsule and then from there to the iMac. It works now, the only issue is that I have to reconnect my PC again once it is done in order to use the PC as well as the iMac for the Internet
Thanks for the help