John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

i had to replace my hard drive and now want to sink the data

i had to replace my hard drive and now want to sink the data on my phone to the iMac. I want to make sure it doesn't memory wipe my phone
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Can you tell me if iCloud has been enabled on this iPhone?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not for bento, just for photos.

Where was the iPhone actually being backed up to, iCloud or iTunes?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i believe iCloud. I have an icloud account through my email.

Okay, let's double-check.

On your iPhone tap Settings

tap iCloud

Are all/most services turned on?

Next, tap Storage and backup on the same page.

Is iCloud Backup turned on?

tap Manage Backup and then tap the backup for your iPhone to verify it's been backed up recently.

Does your iMac support iCloud? If it's running OS X 10.7 Lion or later, it should and might make this more simple for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hadn't turned icloud backup on. So I did it and am now backing up the phone. I'm not sure how long that will take.It looks like a while based on the speed at which the bar is crossing the bottom (snails pace).

I believe that I am running lion.

Okay, while that's running let's verify the version on your iMac.

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

10.7.5

by the way back up estimate is about 1 hour

Okay.

Do you have iCloud enabled on the iMac?

If not,

Select "System Preferences"

Click iCloud and then sign in with the same Apple ID and password XXXXX used for iCloud on the iPhone.

Once this is done and the backup on the iPhone is complete, you should be able to sync the iPhone with your iMac for any content that is not being synced through iCloud.

If for some reason, something should go wrong you can resort to the iPhone backup you just made.

Do you have music on the iPhone you would like to have on the iMac?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I activated the icloud as you described.

I guess we won't find out if it works for another hour.

all my music is on my computer. I never put is on the web until just now (i think).

The music itself will not be stored online via iCloud but purchased music can be downloaded again if ever it is needed, free of charge.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this still doesn't answer the question. how do I put the bento data on my phone on to the imac so that I can manipulate it and back it up

The original post doesn't mentioned extraction of the Bento data to the iMac, but Filemaker has very specific instructions for getting this data.

You'll have to create a new sync. When you create a new sync, the data from the iPhone is copied into a Backup folder on the Mac, and the Mac overwrites the data on your iPhone, making it appear the data is lost. Here are the exact steps.

1. Launch Bento for iPhone. Tap the sync icon at the bottom of the display and tap "Sync with a New Computer". A passcode will then be displayed.

2. Launch Bento for Mac. Pull down the File menu and select "Set Up Sync with Device...". Your iPhone should then be listed and highlighted (if not, then the Mac and iPhone are not on the same Wi-Fi network). Click "Continue...", and enter the four-digit passcode that is displayed on the iPhone from the previous step. The Mac will then start the syncing process by copying the database from the iPhone to a Backup folder on the Mac, and then moving the database file from the Mac onto the iPhone.

3. When finished, quit Bento for Mac.

4. Go to where your bento.bentodb file is located. That is,

[User Account] -> Libary -> Application Support -> Bento -> bento.bentodb

(If you have trouble finding your personal library folder, click the "Go" menu in the Finder, hold down the Option key and click Library.)

5. Rename "bento.bentodb" to "mac.bentodb". This saves your Mac database.

6. In the same folder as mac.bentodb, you should now see a Backup folder preceded by the name of your iPhone. For example, "David's iPhone Backup". Open that folder, and if there is more than one file (which means you have tried this before), find the most recent file and rename it bento.bentodb

7. Move the bento.bentodb file up one level (out of the Backup folder) so it resides in the same folder with mac.bentodb

8. Launch Bento for Mac. You will now see the data that existed on your iPhone.

9. Create another new sync in Bento for iPhone to move the data from the Mac to the iPhone.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got up to step 8 but did not see the data for my iPhone.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got it to work. I was impatient. Thanks. I'll rate/pay u now,
Have a good night.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Thanks,