Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Happy New Year!Not sure if this is a Mac problem or just

Customer Question

Happy New Year!
Not sure if this is a Mac problem or just an email problem. I use the Cloud and Safari for my email and bookmarks. Today I opened my computer and found that an entire file of bookmarks had disappeared from my bookmarks bar. This happened once before. I can't remember how I recovered the entire file, but I remember finding the file somewhere (I've searched for it in all the usual ways of course) and I did have to export it, which makes me think that somehow it was living in the cloud, but I can't understand how I could have accessed it that way. The file was successfully exported back to my bookmarks and reinstalled on the bookmarks bar, with all the bookmarks intact.

To complicate matters, I also use a PC and I believe the export of the file occurred while I was using the PC and not the MacBook Pro.

Can you help me figure out if I can recreate this miracle again? I wish I had more information for you. The file is not backed up to my hard drive, is not "hidden" among too many bookmarks along the bookmarks bar and has not reappeared despite numerous restartings of the computer.

Thanks much....
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Users -> yourname -> Library -> Preferences -> or Users -> yourname -> Library -> Application support are where Apple stores most user specific documents.

it could be listed like this: Users/yourUserName/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

You then have to import them from the Safari --> File menu-->import bookmarks

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Brad- that strikes some memory. All I remember is seeing the name of the Bookmark File in a list of other files and documents. When I clicked on the file it opened, and the bookmarks were listed. I then imported the file back to Safari where it lived for the past month until today.

Should I put your suggested path into the search window in Finder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I type in users_carolebrodsky I get 4 Mp4 files that come up. If I add "Library" to the string I get nothing else.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Look for the third reference.

Users/yourUserName/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Anything generic with plist.

The MAC os has sensed the file was corrupted and wrote a new one. So hopefully it is on your machine somewhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok typed in exactly as follows:

Users_carolebrodsky_Library_Safari_Bookmarks.plist

I did this from Finder, nothing came up. I tried it from "all my files," and from "carolebrodsky."

Am I doing something wrong?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brad, have we given up?

Again here's what I typed in-

I used the underline thingie, not backslashes. Tried both ways, nothing. I guess if I don't hear from you I'll repost the question to others.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
No, I am still here, what version OS on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.7.5

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

See if it is hidden:

Unhide the Library folder of Cmd + K to it in Finder.

to permanently un-hide the ~/Library/ folder, go to Terminal and enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

unknownf81edff2c1f3:~ carolebrodsky$

Above is what is already in the Terminal window. Do I erase that and THEN add chflags nohidden~/Library/ ??

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Yes clear that and run the command BUT I am concerned about the error that is showing which to me means that there is a big corruption issue in the OS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It won't let me clear it. If I press Delete, nothing happens. I can select the text but nothing happens. I closed out Terminal and reopened. This is what it says:

Last login: Wed Jan 2 19:11:46 on ttys000
unknownf81edff2c1f3:~ carolebrodsky$

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Can you type next to that prompt? Try that and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is what it looks like when I type next to the prompt: t

unknownf81edff2c1f3:~ carolebrodsky$ chflags nohidden~/Library/
usage: chflags [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] flags file ...
unknownf81edff2c1f3:~ carolebrodsky$

As soon as I hit the return key the two lines below the chflags appeared...

OOOh- the Library File is now visible. There is a Bookmarks.plist file in the Safari file. When I click on that file, I get a window with computer language, looks like it's listing all the bookmarks. There are a lot, so it's hard for me to see if the missing file containing the 70 bookmarks I'm looking for is in there.

Getting closer??

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Look for bookmarks.plist. Or you can use spotlight to see if it can find it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i found it- what's next? its a huge file, dont think i see the old bookmarks

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
The bookmarks are located in that file. You should be able to import the file THROUGH safari
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I got the bookmarks imported, but unfortunately the file with the missing bookmarks was not among them. Big sigh!

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
SO did any new book marks appear with this import? Did anything change at all? Can you check for variations of that file in the location that we looked? Also please know that if the file that was original was corrupted, it may have gotten renamed and or over written.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

New bookmarks that I made yesterday were in the import- so those were stored. I'll look for variations.

Yesterday I did a "repair disk permissions" from disk utility- thinking that there might be something more insidious going on with the computer.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

In rechecking the posts, I have to ask what you mean about the item being a file?

Can you explain a little more how it differs from regular book marks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lost bookmarks were organized into one file which disappeared. I have my bookmarks organized into separate files- not individually in my bookmarks file. So one file containing about 40 bookmarks is what disappeared. My other bookmarks were all re-imported correctly, in their separate files, but the one I need is still missing.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If you remember any of them, use spotlight to search and use the option to look in the files and see if it finds anything using a name of the book mark that is in the file

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok will do..

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Ill be here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope- no luck. They seem to be gone forever.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.
Check you internet history and see if you can reconstruct them