John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

my ipodtouch is locked says is disabled connect to itunes tryed

my ipodtouch is locked says is disabled connect to itunes tryed that will not connect
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will re-install the operating system on the iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch), clear any pass codes, and then re-sync user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Connect the iOS device directly to a USB port on the computer

* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to rate my service . If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,
Thomas,

why did you issue a bad rating? This is the solution for your issue. Where are you having a problem with it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tried everything u said had no effect

Then lets go through it step by step because this is your only recourse as an end user. Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed?

Once connected, are you able to shut off the iPod as instructed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Okay, good the enxt steps are to;

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button

You should then get a message from iTunes that it found a device in recovery mode.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tried that say computer tried to connect need to enter passcode ipod will not let me

Between the first and second step mentioned just prior, you aren't letting go of the Home button at all, are you?

Are you attempting this on a Windows or Mac PC?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

windows and not letting go of botton

Okay, are you running any 3rd party security software, such as anti-virus or firewall?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

mcfee

On occasion, security software can interfere with this process. Please try temporarily disabling or removing McAfee and performing the procedure again. If it still does not work, try this alternate method.

* Open iTunes on your computer

* Leave the iPod touch DISCONNECTED

* Continue to hold the Home button down as you connect the iOS device directly to a USB port on the computer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tried that says the same thing

Is this the computer you normally sync with?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Okay, assuming you are following the procedure correctly then this is beginning to sound like a hardware issue or other conflict. Do you have another computer you can try this on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not at the moment

Okay, that's unfortunate. Have you attempted to use another USB port?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes. my friend next door has a computer i could try it on but he will not

be home till tomorrow

Ok, the problem here is that Apple provides only a single method for an end user to recover a disabled device.

However, when you are performing the procedure and you get to this step

Do you see the iPod restart with the Apple logo on the screen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes. the home button is on the side dose that make a diference

What do you mean by side?

The home button is the physical round button below the screen.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

got it it is in recovery mode

Great. Glad to hear it.

If it completes successfully please remember to rerate this answer to reverse the previous one. Otherwise, reply back for additional assistance.

Thanks!