SLCBTM, NetworkSystems Admin
Experience:  16 Years in IT, Electronics, Networking & Technical Support

I have a version of Lightroom 3 installed on my laptop and

I have a version of Lightroom 3 installed on my laptop and desktop. My laptop crashed and Lightroom 3 was seemingly not restored - as when it loads it wants my serial # XXXXX which I can't find and can't locate from the LR3 on the desktop.

I have ordered LR4 upgrade and assume I'll need to come up with the serial # XXXXX that - so I might just be stuck. Is there some way of accessing my serial # XXXXX initial registration?

Chris R :

Hello. Are you saying you can't find the Lightroom 3 serial number you already have?

Chris R :

If that is the case you should be able to find the serial number directly in the LR software itself. Usually Adobe products let you view the serial number you used when you installed the software.

Yes you need the original serial from LR# XXXXX order to activate the v4 upgrade. I have 3 ways you can get your LR3 serial number:

1.) If you registered the software with Adobe when you installed it then you can log in to your Adobe account and recover the serial number there.

2.) You can use utilities such as Belarc Advisor to recover serial numbers from the registry of the desktop which you said you have LR3 installed on, Download Here

3.) This one may or may not work for your version depending how it was installed. On the desktop look for the 'Lightroom 3.0 Registration.lrreg' file. If you have that file it should contain the LR3 serial number, open it with a text editor, and you'll see 'original_serial_number =' and/or 'serial_number ='

The location of the .lrreg file can be different depending on your o/s, heres a list from Adobe where it should be: .lrreg Locations

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't been able to find the location from any menu. I am on a mac OSX, by the way...

Also can't download Belarc Advisor from your response...

Apparently I didn't register with Adobe. I believe I bought LR 3 from Apertures photography, a local photog. store where I live.

On MacOS the registration info is found at this path

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom or

/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

open the Irreg file as a text and you should see the serial.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry. I'll need more directions. I made it all the way to Library once but was closed out from further selection... Here's what I finally got.

Is the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX not the serial number you were looking for?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does not appear to fit into the boxes at all. Each box has 4 spaces and there are 6 in all.

Yes, there are 24 character. I would try starting with 1614. Try 1614-0A16-45F1-8C13-A6F8-0616
You actually might be in the wrong thing. What file did you open?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only one available when I reached the last folder in Adobe Lightroom Library. There were no more choices available save the one I copied to you.

Oh, but wait. The only way I found Lightroom was clicking "application support". Nothing else under applications led me to Lightroom....

If you don't mind I would like to submit a request for this question to be moved to the Mac category. I only have limited experience with Mac OS. Experts in the Mac category might be better able to assist you with your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good, thanks!

No problem.

Just a thought, above where Chris had you goto the library and user files, OS/X 10.7 & later hid the user lib files by default, you need to unhide to get to the directory you need. If you need help getting to the hidden dirs, here's the Adobe OS/X Hidden Dir Page.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "">
<plist version="1.0">

This is what is in the ~/Library folder. It is not a useable serial.

To you it's not usable, if you contact Adobe and tell them you have this file & key string and what your issue is, they can decrypt it to a usable key. Or they'll claim they can't verify or identify you as the owner but, they will most likely give you the option to send them proof of purchase and will issue you an upgrade key.

Depending on who you get when you contact support, they may give you hassle, don't be afraid to throw a little muscle. Let them know you can very easily find another software package if their not interested in your business. I've done it, sometimes you hafta get tough.

SLCBTM, NetworkSystems Admin
Experience: 16 Years in IT, Electronics, Networking & Technical Support
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Whatever I get or don't get, thanks for an amazing try! I am giving you top rating. The person you referred me to sent me the "18 ways you can access your Library" from MacWorld or the like...loser answet!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I rated you top rating and authorized a tip.

Now, here is the answer: When I loaded LR4 on my desktop and entered the upgrade serial #, my LR3 serial number loaded below it, automatically. When I took the upgrade to the laptop which had crashed and lost LR3 I put in the new serial and when prompted, entered the old LR3 # XXXXX I had been given. All done!

Glad everything worked out for you, happy to be a part of the solution. Come back anytime you need assistance.