MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I have a Canoscan 9950F scanner and have used Photostudio as

Customer Question

I have a Canoscan 9950F scanner and have used Photostudio as an app to produce jpeg images on my computer as scanned. I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8) and am informed that Photostudio is a Power PC product and not supported. So what app do I switch to for this purpose? Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 1 year ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you for your inquiry

MacTechTrainer :

thanks

MacTechTrainer :

Let me look further into what options are available for you. I will be with you in a few minutes

Hi John,

My apologies for the delay sir. Due to a technical issue with the chat session interface we were in, I had to switch to a Q & A (Question and Answer) mode in order to be able to communicate with you.

Before I continue with some options for your PhotoStudio compatibilty question,
can you provide me what version of PhotoStudion you are using?

Thanks, I will proceed forward once I get your reply.

-Terry
Hi John,

I am sending this update to you, just to let you know I am still here and ready to assist you when you are online.

I will await your reply.

Thanks.

-Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Terry,

I have version 4.1 and I know that version 6 which appears to be the latest will work with OS 10.7 but apparently not 10.8. Therefore I wanted to know if there is another app I can use instead. Obviously I am stuck with 10.8 and cannot go backward.

Actually John, I would recommend you download the trial version of PhotoStudio 6 and test it out.

The framework of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion are not too far apart in similarity. There are just more features, functions and "bells and whistles" than in 10.7 Lion.

Besides it cannot cause any harm to your system to at least test the trial version to see if it does work on your 10.8 Mountain Lion system.

I usually go right to installing most software that show system requirements up to 10.7, but only the trial or demonstration versions of those software apps. So I do recommend you try this. I just never suggest purchasing any software of course unless it does show Mac OS X 10.8 in its system requirements or like what I am suggesting now, you have tangible proof (via the trial or demo) that the software app does work with your Mountain Lion system.

Here is the link to try our PhotoStudio 6 for Mac: www.arcsoft.com/photostudio-mac/

Let me know how this turns out.

I will be watching for your next update. Thanks for your patience sir!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Terry. It's Jan 3. At your suggestion, I downloaded the free Arcsoft product - Photostudio 6 - and started it up. Then I clicked on Acquire to connect to the scanner and see the item to scan; a screen informed me of this: "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off (neither were true). Check status. Scanner driver will be closed."

So I'm obviously back where I started. Any thoughts?

Hi John,

Thanks for your update. My apologies for the delay in this response, I was offline for a few days from your previous reply.

To allow me to better assist you, can you provide me the type of scanner you are using on your Mac?

This will allow me to better assist you in regards to isolating why the scanner is not communicating with the trial version of Photostudio 6, that I recommended you download, install and try out on your Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion system.

Thanks, I will watch for your update.

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Terry,

The first message I sent you told you what scanner I have. I have since found from Canon that my scanner type has no software for 10.7 or 10.8 so I have moved on to use use my HP printer for scanning and will discard the Canoscan.

Please don't bother with any more replies.

Sorry about that John, I admit I missed that but in my haste to get back to you, after being away a few days, I plead error on my part for that. My apologies.

I am obligated however to reply back only in the event to provide closing information as I have noticed by your last reply, that you have discarded the Canonscan altogether, which means you more than likely would like to cancel this question.

As a MacExperts, we cannot personally process a request for a refund of your deposit or payment. However, I can definitely provide the information you need to expedite your request.

All you need to do is contact JustAnswer Customer Service via email;
info@justanswer.com

I hope this helps and I do appreciate you allowing us to attempt to assist you with your question.

I will close this question now.

Sincerely,

-Terry
("Mactechtrainer")