John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.7.5. I recently downloaded

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.7.5. I recently downloaded a song on iTunes and discovered that ALL of my songs play only a minute and 30 seconds... and it's in the middle of the song. It's been a long time since I listened to any songs on my MacBook Pro. Do I need to download a newer version of something?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Eric M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer! I'll be happy to try to help.

In my experience, what is happening here is that you're not actually playing the song as downloaded to your computer. You're playing the Preview of the song from iTunes in the cloud. Previews always stop after 90 seconds, so the fact that all your songs are stopping after 90 seconds suggests that they are actually previews rather than the full version.

On the left side of iTunes, you should see a heading titled 'Purchased'. That page ought to take you to a list of the music you've purchased and allow you to actually download the song to your local computer, rather than just streaming them from the server.

Thanks! If this answer is acceptable, please remember to click 'Accept' or give positive feedback when prompted. If you need further assistance before this is deemed acceptable, please don't hesitate to ask for more detail. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For Eric M:
That didn't solve the problem. I've been trying to play my songs from my purchased list.
Expert:  Eric M. replied 1 year ago.
My apologies, I didn't make my previous answer clear. Playing them directly from your 'Purchased' list will attempt to stream the songs from the server. What you want to do is download them to your local computer -- you can use the Purchased list to locate the files, but then you need to click the download link alongside them rather than play them outright.

I'm away from a computer with iTunes at the moment, but as soon as I'm back to one I can attempt to provide a screenshot to describe what I mean more clearly if this is still unclear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I locate the song?
Expert:  Eric M. replied 1 year ago.
That may depend in part on the version of iTunes you're running. You can check the version via Help -> About iTunes. Could you let me know the version?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11.01
Expert:  Eric M. replied 1 year ago.
Ah, I see. That's a bit different than the version I'm used to, but I've checked it out on my wife's computer. Try pressing Alt to bring up the menus across the top, then clicking Store and choosing Check available downloads... at the bottom of that menu. That may bring up the list of songs available to download, which will allow you to download them rather than stream them from the server.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've downloaded all of my songs and they all play 1:30. What gives???
Expert:  Eric M. replied 1 year ago.
Still? Huh, that's very strange. I'm certain that it's the aforementioned previewing issue since iTunes always plays the first 90 seconds when streaming from the server, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be successfully downloading and streaming from there for you. I'll opt out of this, and another expert can provide additional thoughts. Sorry!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can someone else pick up this problem and offer a solution?
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Mac issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll be patient because I want to get this problem solved. Please get me connected with someone that has some familiarity with this problem... if that's possible.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Lindie
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find another Professional to assist you. Would you like me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for me to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,
Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll either need a solution to my problem since that's what I paid for... or I'll take a refund if there isn't anyone that can guide me through solving this mystery.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Find a song that doesn't play properly. Ctrl-Click the song and select "Show In Finder".

After the music file is revealed in the Finder window, Ctrl-click it and select Get Info.

Play the track under the Preview section of the Get Info pane. Does it play all the way through?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Using the control/click on any song does nothing... It's as if I'm dong nothing. Nothing gets activated or pops up. What's next?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Very curious. In that case, select the song and then click File in the menubar. Next, click Show in Finder.

After the music file is revealed in the Finder window, Ctrl-click it and select Get Info. (If Ctrl-Click doesn't work, in the Finder click File and then Get Info.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a list of songs showing in my open iTunes. All of the songs have been downloaded. As I roll my cursor over any song a blue circle with a white triangle pops up next to the song. It is not really "selected" though because as I move the cursor up and down my list the blue circle/triangle pops up to the left of whatever song I am over. If I click on that song it starts to play 1:30 of the middle portion of the song.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
What you are describing is not a local library page, this is a listing from the iTunes Store, perhaps of purchased music.

In iTunes

Click the View menu in the menubar and choose Show Sidebar.

Under LIBRARY in the left-hand sidebar, choose "Music".

You should now be looking at your local library and any songs there should play as expected.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question and if so please don't forget to rate my service . If you continue to have questions on this topic, do not rate yet, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks and good luck,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry