Expert Scott
Expert Scott, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have 15 plus years of technology experience in government, education, and private sectors.

Ok people my Airport Extreme 5th Gen is randomly dropping internet

Ok people my Airport Extreme 5th Gen is randomly dropping internet connection BUT still displays a GREEN light. Any ideas? There is NOTHING wrong with the connection, cables, modem, settings are correct, AE firmware and OSX 10.7.4 has not been updated (as worked flawlessly until now).

BASICALLY: turn MBA, iPad, Win7 PC on, internet works fine for a few minutes THEN drops off EVEN though AE has a green light.

Only way to get working again is power cycle AE or open Airport Utility (v 5.6 or 6.1) and click on 'internet' and 'AE' . Ideas?

BeBoo : Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.
BeBoo : Ok, how often does this happen? Does it happen often enough that we can troubleshoot actively?
Customer: Hi Brandon, yes it does. It only happens when I use my MBA and iPad with the AE router. When connected to other wifi networks all my Apple gear is flawless.
Customer: It happens every 10 to 15 minutes at random.
Customer: To "reconnect" i open the airport utility which then 'forces' a 'search' for internet connections / networks and the AE router.
Customer: At ALL times the Airport Extreme's indicator light is GREEN indicating a LIVE internet connection.
Customer: I have tried with the modem connected directly to computer (USB-->ethernet adaptor) and NO problems.
BeBoo :

Ok, so we are strictly looking at an Airport Extreme problem. The actual wireless network connection disappears, correct? (your wireless signal just drops) If so, if you open the menu of wireless networks, is it listed?

No the wireless connection does not disappear. If you open the menu of wireless networks, the connection is there and connected. I know this because I can still print to network printers etc which would not work if the connection to the router was broken.

ie: MBA ...... wifi ..... > Airport Extreme---PRINTERS+MODEM etc

diagram means: Macbook Air communicates via wifi to Airport Extreme. Printers are networked through the airport extreme and the Airport Extreme is connected to the ADSL modem. ADSL modem working fine (no indicator lights) and works fine when connected directly to the computer (USB--> ethernet)

if you do a web search, the Airport Extreme is "known" to randomly drop perfectly fine internet connections but still display the green 'all ok' indicator light. just looking for a solution if any before buying a new one only to find it does the same thing

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still waiting. thanks.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks. maybe check my thru my previous replies so we try something I haven't checked yet

Do you have an external hard drive or any other device attached to the Airport Extreme via USB by chance? (You mentioned a printer attached to the Airport if I read correctly, yes?)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing attached
That rules out one possibility I found from others experiencing this problem. Since you have already tried updating the firmware, ruled out attached devices, and verified it is not the cable modem, I can only assume two possibilities here. One is that the Airport Extreme is faulty. If that is the case, make sure that your Airport is out of its warranty period before purchasing a new one. The only other thing I can think of is that the Airport is not well ventilated and could be overheating. Probably not, but always a slight possibility. I also have a 5th generation AE and to date have not experienced this problem. So I am leaning more towards the probability that yours may have just failed due to a hardware malfunction.

Hope that this information is helpful to you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Airport Extreme. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance in this matter.
Expert Scott, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: I have 15 plus years of technology experience in government, education, and private sectors.