Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have a mac mini OS X version 10.6.8 which has become very

I have a mac mini OS X version 10.6.8 which has become very slow - especially at start up, but generally too. I use MacKeeper, but that seems to do very little.

What should I do?

Phil
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

First, get rid of the MacKeeper junk. It will do more harm to your Mac than fixing it.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. This will boot your Mac into Single User Mode. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ashik,

I have done the three things you mentioned and it seems to have sped things up noticeably, but please let me give it a little more time. My mac has been somewhat erratic, so I want to make sure it has really improved. But if things continue to perform well, I will definitely give very positive feedback.

Cheers

Phil
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Take your time. Let me know if it still not working and we will try different steps to fix your Mac.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help in future...

Best Regards,