Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a iomega model LDHD080-U that used to be my wifes at

I have a iomega model LDHD080-U that used to be my wifes at her work and it is formated for microsoft and my machine is a Mac Mini with OS X version 10.5.8.
How can I get it to work on my mini?
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

That external hard disk must be formatted as NTFS format. Macs can only read NTFS partition but can't write to it. So you have to format it as an Mac OS Partition (HFS Format).

(If you have anything on your external hd, it will be erased when you format/erase it. So make backup of the files to a PC or your Mac before erasing it)

Follow the steps below to format it for Mac;
  • Goto Applications/Utilities/ and open DiskUtility
  • Now connect your hard drive to your Mac
  • Select the External Hard Disk that at the left column and click on Erase tab
  • At the “Volume Format” select “Mac OS Journaled/Extended”
  • If you confirm to format your hard disk, Click on “Erase” button.
  • After it is finished, your hard drive is ready to use with Mac

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Everything goes well till I click on external hard drive which is called data backup on my machine. At that point I don't see erase anywhere.
Bob
In Disk Utility, select the main partition of external drive and not the sub partition. See a sample picture below;
graphic
Let me know if you are unable to format it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Everything seems to be working, so how can I check it out,
Bob
After erasing it, if everything goes right, your Mac will automatically recognize the hard drive and ask you to setup Time Machine. If it is, then you can start using your hard drive with your Mac.
You can also open the hard drive from Finder (in left column) or from desktop and copy files from your Mac to it and vice versa. If you are able to copy files to it, then it is formatted for Mac.

Let me know how it goes...

Best Regards,
Hi there,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Let me know if you need any help in future...

Best Regards,