Lindie-mod
Lindie-mod,

RA - 112

Customer Question

Time Machine for my Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5 running 10.5.8 has stopped working correctly. It backs up some files, but not the entire hard drive as it did reliably for several years. I have trashed the prefs file and have tried to back up to clean 500 GB hard drive via 400 Firewire (same as what worked in past). Time Machine successfully backs up some files, then stops and leaves file: 2012-12-29-154614.inProgress (date and number change depending on when attempt was made. I hope to back up existing to move to new Mac mini.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 1 year ago.

Jesse :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'X here to help.

Jesse :

Have you tried erasing the drive completely and starting fresh?

Customer :

Help away, Jesse.

Customer :

Yes

Jesse :

Did you drag the backup file to the Trash, or reformat the drive entirely?

Customer :

In fact, used new drive. formatted as per Apple standards (including partition), Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Apple Partition Map (needed for OS 10.5)

Customer :

Clean, new drive -- also have the original backup, which is similar. Did not want to erase it, since it has backup material on it.

Customer :

the problem is the same on the older drive that worked for several years and the brand new drive.

Jesse :

Okay, just wanted to be sure.

Jesse :

So it's not giving you an error message, it's just not finishing?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

stops, and file name is XXXXX XXXXX above. key words: .inProgress. But it is not in progress, the backup has stopped, the circle/arrow is not spinning.

Customer :

I am able to back up some files by selecting the exclusion option in the Time Machine preferences -- but only about 4 GB, and no system, User, similar files.

Jesse :

Let's try the following:

1. Open System Preferences (located under the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen).
2. Select the Spotlight pane, then the Privacy tab.
3. Open a new Finder window (click the smiley face icon on the far left side of the Dock), and from the Go menu at the top of the screen, select Computer.
4. Drag your Macintosh HD icon into the Privacy window, so it's added to the list of items (it may be the only one there).

Jesse :

5. Close System Preferences, then reopen to the same place, and remove Macintosh HD from the list.

Customer :

I'm at Spotlight - privacy

Customer :

I see no smiley face

Jesse :

It's the far left icon on the Dock, at the bottom of the screen.

Customer :

In the Spotlight dialog box?

Jesse :

No the Finder window is separate, it should be the far left icon on the Dock (thing bar at the bottom of your screen that shows your applications).

Customer :

ah, the apple square

Jesse :

Yes

Customer :

Ok, which Macintosh HD icon do I drag? my hard drive, or the backup HD?

Jesse :

Lets do both to be safe.

Customer :

done

Jesse :

Okay, now the last part is close out System Preferences, then reopen to that section and remove those from the list.

Customer :

My hard drive (GUS5 HD) and the backup HD (Time Machine Backups) are both in the privacy window of Spotlight (along with Roxio Coverted Items). So three items on in Spotlight Privacy box.

Jesse :

Yes, and you closed System Preferences correct?

Customer :

will do so

Customer :

closed

Jesse :

Okay, now you can reopen System Preferences, go to the same place, and remove them from the list.

Customer :

I removed both from the list

Customer :

only the Roxio item remains

Jesse :

Okay, now close System Preferences again, and try running Time Machine again.

Jesse :

I would remove the existing backup to start it fresh.

Customer :

Hmm, Time Machine started running while we did this

Customer :

I did not remove. Should I stop TM, remove HD, then remount?

Jesse :

I would just stop the backup, remove, then start again.

Customer :

I stopped TM, ejected HD, turned off HD, then turned back on, HD remounted

Customer :

run TM?

Customer :

running TM

Jesse :

Yes, after you drag the existing backup file to the Trash, the one that didn't finish.

Customer :

well, didn't do that

Customer :

going back

Jesse :

Okay.

Customer :

Trashed the .inProgress file. unmounted backup HD, turned it off then on so it remounted.

Jesse :

Great.

Customer :

TM is running now. It will take a while.

Customer :

I assume you are multi-tasking, so I will type to you when/if we get past point that TM has been hanging up.

Jesse :

Sounds good, I'll be here.

Customer :

It already stopped

Customer :

didn't get as far as it was before.

Customer :

Try again?

Jesse :

Let me check something first.

Customer :

This stopped with just 8 KB file. I have been getting to 4.04 GB before stopping.

Jesse :

Is that adding to the backup that was working, or creating a new backup folder and going in there?

Customer :

New backup

Customer :

I can trash the 8 KB and restart TM

Jesse :

Okay, and have you run Disk Verify/Repair on the external drive?

Customer :

Yes. That is how I set it up today. New HD, set up according to instructions for TM

Customer :

I can run again, if you wish

Customer :

advise

Jesse :

No, if you've done it before we know the drive is fine.

Jesse :

Have you restarted the computer since the issue started?

Customer :

Many times.

Jesse :

Okay, just checking.

Customer :

understood

Jesse :

Let's try restarting while holding down the Option key. Hold it down until you see a progress bar under the Apple logo, then let it start up. Once it does, remove any .inprogress files from the external drive, even if they're in the other backup folder. Try Time Machine again after you do.

Customer :

You want me to restart my computer holding down the Option key. That will disconnect us, how do I get back to you?

Customer :

bookmark this page?

Jesse :

Yes, just bookmark the page.

Customer :

OK, bookmarked. I will restart computer holding option now and get back to you

Jesse :

Sounds good.

Customer :

Gus is back to chat with Jesse

Jesse :

Great.

Customer :

I await your instructions.

Jesse :

Try running Time Machine and see what happens.

Customer :

TM is running now

Customer :

Stopped at the same 8 KB as before.

Customer :

Uggg.

Jesse :

Do you have another external hard drive anywhere?

Customer :

that is what I am backing up to

Jesse :

I didn't know if you had another one to test on, see if it will backup to a separate external.

Customer :

the one I am backing up to is sub for the one I have been backing up to successfully for several years, at least until it no longer worked.

Jesse :

Okay, I wasn't clear on that, sorry.

Customer :

It is out-of-the-box OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro 500 GB connected with 400 Firewire

Jesse :

Okay, we're going to try another approach:

1. Click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right of your screen, and type console.
2. It should bring up the console app, then select it and click return.
3. In the Console window that appears, type "backupd"
4. Copy and paste the results into the window here.

Customer :

spotlight is indexing

Customer :

says it will take 5 hours

Customer :

although, I doubt it will take that long

Customer :

4 hours now

Customer :

3 hours

Customer :

I found Console on my own and typed in "backupd" -- nothing appears in window

Customer :

I typed in "backup" -- without the d -- and got these results:

Customer :

3/20/10 3:50:21 PM [0x0-0xb80b8].com.logmein.Rescue[10211] 2010-03-20 15:50:21.514 - Error - unknown - RegLoader - - Trying backup config file
3/20/10 3:50:21 PM [0x0-0xb80b8].com.logmein.Rescue[10211] 2010-03-20 15:50:21.514 - Error - unknown - RegLoader - - Loading backup config has also failed
4/8/10 6:44:56 PM [0x0-0x28028].com.logmein.Rescue[226] 2010-04-08 18:44:56.265 - Error - unknown - RegLoader - - Trying backup config file
4/8/10 6:44:56 PM [0x0-0x28028].com.logmein.Rescue[226] 2010-04-08 18:44:56.419 - Error - unknown - RegLoader - - Loading backup config has also failed

Customer :

TM was working fine in 2010

Jesse :

That's referring to another program, unfortunately.

Customer :

OK

Customer :

Spotlight says 27 minutes now

Jesse :

In the Console window, is All Messages selected in the upper left?

Customer :

There is no "All Messages"

Customer :

Upper left: Show Log List

Customer :

Spotlight: 12 minutes

Jesse :

Okay, click that, then tell me which List is selected.

Customer :

Log Database Queries have stuff from 2010

Jesse :

Were you able to click on the Show Log List button? That should let you see the All Messages option.

Customer :

There is no "Show Log List" button.

Customer :

strangely, dates go back to 1969

Customer :

Spotlight: 8 minutes

Jesse :

Okay, so it doesn't say show log list in the upper left?

Customer :

Spotlight: 6 minutes

Customer :

yes, I think it does. Now it says "Hide Log List" -- probably because I can see log list

Customer :

there are two sections: "Log Database Queries" and "Log Files"

Customer :

with secondary choices under each of those two

Jesse :

Okay, do any of the choices simply say "All Messages"?

Customer :

"system.log" has current material

Customer :

yes

Customer :

but "All Messages" is one starting in 1969 and going to 4/18/19

Customer :

4/19/10

Customer :

last message: 4/19/10 5:25:32 AM kernel MAC Framework successfully initialized

Jesse :

Okay, real quick, what does your Date and Time say in the menu bar in the top right of the computer screen?

Customer :

Sat 6:20.55 PM

Customer :

well, not a minute later

Jesse :

And if you click on it, does it show the correct Date?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

2012

Jesse :

Okay, back in the Console window, select the All Messages option, then type backupd into the search field again in the upper left.

Customer :

upper right?

Jesse :

Of the Console window, yes.

Customer :

no messages

Customer :

Spotlight: 8 minutes, we are losing ground there

Jesse :

That's okay, that counter is never very accurate.

Customer :

I know

Jesse :

Okay, do you see The Diagnostic and Usage Messages option on the left?

Jesse :

Select that and then do another search for backupd

Customer :

No, I do not see that

Customer :

Is there way to send you screen shot?

Jesse :

Yes, if you do a screen shot (command+shift+3), then click the paperclick icon where you type your responses here, you can attach a photo.

Customer :

command+shift+4?

Customer :

that's creates screenshot on my mac

Jesse :

4 lets you choose the area to take a screen shot of, and 3 just takes a picture of the whole thing

Customer :

not working

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

that do it?

Jesse :

No, but this is clearly not helping, so lets try something else. Let's erase the drive, and use the Security options to overwrite the data at least once. Are you familiar with that process?

Customer :

You want me to take the external HD back to zero, correct?

Jesse :

Yes, but make sure it's written to zero, and overwritten at least once

Customer :

I will walk through with you, using Disk Utility

Jesse :

Okay.

Customer :

I have clicked on drive icon -- the one with the 465.8 GB OWC Mercury name

Jesse :

Okay, now click the Erase tab.

Customer :

I clicked on Erase

Jesse :

Click on the Security options, and let me know what you see as far as options go.

Customer :

On security, is one pass sufficient?

Customer :

"Zero out data"

Customer :

excuse me

Customer :

other options are 7-pass erase and 35-pass erase

Jesse :

Did you do the Zero out before?

Customer :

no

Jesse :

Okay, let's just do that option then, no need to do the 7 pass.

Customer :

well, not sure

Customer :

I also have to do partition for TM

Customer :

1 sufficient?

Jesse :

You shouldn't need to set a partition scheme, if you just erase it with the security option, it will automatically create a single partition.

Customer :

OK

Customer :

erasing

Jesse :

Great.

Customer :

Done

Jesse :

And the Zero out was selected?

Jesse :

That was fast

Customer :

yes

Jesse :

Okay, lets try Time Machine again.

Customer :

the HD is gone from desktop

Customer :

should I have named it?

Jesse :

It should have kept it's original name. Do you see it under Disk Utility?

Customer :

Maybe it is still erasing

Customer :

Oh, my it is still erasing ad claiming it will take 3 hours. but we both know that is a lie.

Jesse :

It can take awhile, but yea, that could be an exageration.

Customer :

BTW, spotlight has finished

Customer :

when I typed Console, I got what we were looking at

Jesse :

That's good.

Jesse :

Okay, good.

Customer :

Disk Utility says 3 hours still as it writes zeros to disk

Customer :

but progress bar is visible. pixel by pixel.

Jesse :

Okay, honestly, we're just waiting for that now.

Customer :

where are you? dinner time?

Customer :

I am in Texas

Customer :

if we can keep this up and take breaks, that would be good with me.

Jesse :

I'm on Central time, so about the same for me. I'll be here though.

Customer :

you are earning whatever cut you get out of the $26

Customer :

seems like we could both do other things while Disk Utility does its thing.

Jesse :

Yea, just check back on it. Once it's done setup Time Machine again and see how it goes. Like I said, I'll be here.

Customer :

OK. When erased, I will start TM again, get back to you when it backs up or fails.

Jesse :

Sounds good.

Customer :

External HD erased. I turned on Time Machine. It ran a while, but did same thing that has been vexing us -- stopped after just backing up 126.3 MB. File says "2012-12-30-03495.inProgress".

Jesse : Well, i'm officially stumped. I'm going to opt out so another expert can assist you. Sorry I wasnt able to resolve the problem for you.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away with your Mac issue, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done more investigation and found problem may be with Norton Antivirus conflict. I plan on uninstalling Norton program to see if it fixes the issue. Whatever happens, I will contact you. If it solves the issue, you can add fix to your database; if it does not we can continue to investigate. Fair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed Norton Antivirus. That did not solve problem. I then re-installed Mac OS 10.5.4 -- which did solve the problem, I was able to successfully run Time Machine. When I updated the OS to 10.5.8, however, Time Machine appears not to work again. I was running 10.5.8 when I first noticed the problem, so my assumption is there is problem/conflict with 10.5.8 and some other program on my machine. The vexing issue is that Time Machine worked perfectly well for years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I solved the problem myself and offer solution so your experts can put in your databases. It required re-install of system. Time Machine worked fine after re-install of 10.5.4. After re-install and updating to OS X 10.5.8 I first thought the problem returned, but it proved only to be lengthy backup. Time Machine is working now, which was the problem I sought help upon. I hope you can put my input to use if someone else has this problem.