Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I want to connect my computer to my older tv set in order

I want to connect my computer to my older tv set in order to be able to watch hulu movies. What type of box do I need? How complicated is it. I have an IMac which I purchased in 2011. Make it simple please so I can understand the steps I need to take.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Before we start, please remember these things. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers didn’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, you are rating my Service to you and Not the Outcome of the answer or this website.

Does your TV have HDMI ports ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

It does have the Red, Yellow and White ports. Right ?
Or does it have the VGA input ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no vga input

Does it have the RCA input (Red, Yellow and White ports) ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Could you please give me the serial number of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

W80291W5DB7

Thanks.Does it have the DVI In port ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is that?

It should be like this ?
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there i nothing on my computer that looks like the image you sent

Not on your computer, but on your TV. Does it have DVI port ? See the back of your TV and what ports can you see there
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there are audio/video in and out ports, an S video port and an antenna port.

Since you only have Composite (Red, White and Yellow) and S-Video ports on your TV, you have to get two different adaptors and cables.

Your Mac have the Mini Display Port. So you have to buy the Mini-Display Port to VGA Adaptor. See here : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter

Then you have to buy another Adaptor that converts the VGA to Composite Video or S-Video. Here is the one that convert VGA to Composite : http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp

For S Video, see this one : http://www.amazon.com/LE-TV-Out-S-Video-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000P3UB24

(I'd recommend the Composite Adaptor over the S-Video adaptor)

You will also need to buy the normal Composite Cable or S-Video and VGA (Male) cables to connect between the adaptors, Mac and your TV

That is all you need. After connecting your Mac to your TV, your Mac will recognize your TV automatically. You can adjust further settings on your Mac from System Preferences > Displays

Please let me know if you have any questions. Don't Rate my answer until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to try buying and connecting these cables before I can rate you. I thought I had to buy a Roku to get this done. I will get back after I have seen how this works. Thank you for your help.

Roku works without a Mac or PC. The above cables are to extend or mirror the display of your Mac to your TV. I think Roku will be better since it doesn't require a Mac or PC to watch your Hulu or Netflix shows.

If you are going to buy Roku, you will still need another Adaptor, i.e the HDMI to Composite Adaptor